OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Prob get a nice haul to move from 2 to 7ish range. And still get our top player (one of the OT’s would be there — or still Daniels as well).

I'm officially an addict. We completely rebuild the OL, land Daniels and the Giants 1st in 2025 (lost our 2nd in 25 to land Daniels though)

pff_mock_results (6).png

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Peters and Johnson will be the best GM coach combo in DC for the foreseeable future. So much promise.

After doing the QB deep dive I’m praying they trade back or up from the 2nd and take JJ McCarthy. He’s going to be the Wilson or Rodgers from this draft. Mark my words.

Harrison JR + McCarthy is my wet dream scenario 1/25/24

Reactions: kicksavedave

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Nix seems like a guy who would do really well in a Ben Johnson offense. Really good athlete who profiles as a Jalen Hurts type. Ran a lot of the same concepts that Hurts has had success with in the pros in college.

I like McCarthy but he gives me Zach Wilson vibes. He's also around 200 lbs which seems a bit lit for a modern day QB.

I think it's really hard to suck bad enough to be drafting 2OA and unless they are absolutely in love with someone, taking a QB at 2 seems like the smartest choice.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Really for me just want a QB, a couple of OL and a TE/or big WR in the first 4 commanders picks doesn't matter where at this point.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Nix seems like a guy who would do really well in a Ben Johnson offense. Really good athlete who profiles as a Jalen Hurts type. Ran a lot of the same concepts that Hurts has had success with in the pros in college.

I like McCarthy but he gives me Zach Wilson vibes. He's also around 200 lbs which seems a bit lit for a modern day QB.

I think it's really hard to suck bad enough to be drafting 2OA and unless they are absolutely in love with someone, taking a QB at 2 seems like the smartest choice.
I watched McCarthy only towards the end of the season, and he didn't knock me out -- nothing made me say, "he's our guy!" I'm also maybe a bad judge on Nix because I'm an SEC watcher, and he always seemed to under-deliver his entire career at AUB. I can't just trust that him at ORE is the him he'll be in the pros -- and, yes, I fully recognize the hypocrisy of having that attitude towards Nix while believed Daniels is the real deal.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I've consistently been able to trade the 2 for a 5-8 pick and land someone's 1st next year, then trade that 1st back into the later part of the top 10 to land both Alt and Daniels. Sometimes it backfires (the guys I want get taken before I can make the trade) and nothing is guaranteed, but I'll be dipped in dog shit if I'm going to sit around this draft season and not dream of swinging for the fences.

New ownership making the right moves has got me all fired up in the tingly parts and I haven't been this excited for a draft since RGIII. Thats 12 years ago, wow! Or the 1999 draft where we got Champ and Jon Jansen and NO's first the next year, which landed us Lavar and then Chris Samuels. I want some of that magic.
100% on the swinging for the fences.

I was doing the same in terms of trading back and up, then when I realized I could try and sell J. Allen it was like the sun-rising -- wow, I can trade down if a good option presents, but if not, we have an asset that could help us get back in!

Ideally, Allen will be on board and be re-energized by a whole new regime, but if he's worn out here and just wants something new -- and I wouldn't blame him -- then he represents another asset that can help in the rebuild.

My worry is that by the time we get to draft night, the top 3 QBs are going to be the top 3 picks, and if you want one of them (and I definitely do), you're taking a huge chance by moving down.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

My worry is that by the time we get to draft night, the top 3 QBs are going to be the top 3 picks, and if you want one of them (and I definitely do), you're taking a huge chance by moving down.

There's a reason why Peters makes the money and we don't. He has to get the QB decision right, period. Either picking the right one of the three, or passing on all of them if he and Ben don't see the right fit. Frankly, all of them are flawed but I think Daniels may be the most complete of them.

The Bears are the lynchpin here. If they want a new QB, they will set the dominoes in motion. If they don't, they will still set them in motion by trading down, eliminating a team below us from the discussion if we want to trade down too.

Imagine the Bears trade back with, say, Atlanta. That leaves the Pats and maybe Giants looking for a QB. We could conceivably move back to 7,8, or 9 and still maybe land Daniels. Its all a f***ing crapshoot.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
I actually had a photo of Riggo in that get-up that was taken by Dick Darcy, legendary WaPo sports photog who was a friend of my parents.

That was the event where Riggo got so drunk he curled up under a table and told Justice O'Connor, "Lighten up, Sandy Baby!"

lol. It was loosen up sandy baby, you’re too tight. Classic.

At any rate, went down the internets looking for that episode, sadly to no avail.

The dinner thing and sleeping under the table was a different, drunken, escapade. That happened end of January 1985. The event I referred to happened during the playoffs the year or two before. He had a monster game, maybe against Detroit when he took the bow at midfield? Also had a nasty cut on his chin, looked like he was sewed back together

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
lol. It was loosen up sandy baby, you’re too tight. Classic.

At any rate, went down the internets looking for that episode, sadly to no avail.

The dinner thing and sleeping under the table was a different, drunken, escapade. That happened end of January 1985. The event I referred to happened during the playoffs the year or two before. He had a monster game, maybe against Detroit when he took the bow at midfield? Also had a nasty cut on his chin, looked like he was sewed back together
The mid-field bow was MIN, I was at that one. That was the first time I ever saw the stands bouncing -- the "We want Dallas" chant as we were finishing off the Vikes.
I'm getting all misty over here...

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I watched McCarthy only towards the end of the season, and he didn't knock me out -- nothing made me say, "he's our guy!" I'm also maybe a bad judge on Nix because I'm an SEC watcher, and he always seemed to under-deliver his entire career at AUB. I can't just trust that him at ORE is the him he'll be in the pros -- and, yes, I fully recognize the hypocrisy of having that attitude towards Nix while believed Daniels is the real deal.
McCarthy is the biggest enigma of this QB class imo. He wasn’t asked to do a lot in their run-first offense. But, he was REALLY clutch when he needed to be, particularly in the CFP (even worked with a sports psychologist on the sideline!).

Plus, we’ve been “told” he has a big arm, even though he rarely showed it. And he’s barely 21, unlike 30 year olds Nix and Penix ;)

Will be interesting to see what he looks like during his pro day and at the combine.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
then when I realized I could try and sell J. Allen it was like the sun-rising
What can you get for other parts of the roster? There are absolutely no untouchables IMO.

Between you and the rest of the addicts I expect a detailed report by COB Monday… ;)

• Haha
Reactions: ynotcaps

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
What can you get for other parts of the roster? There are absolutely no untouchables IMO.

Between you and the rest of the addicts I expect a detailed report by COB Monday… ;)
A bag of deflated footballs. Oh, wait, we didn't hire Belichick. So, I guess... nothing.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

I was doing the same in terms of trading back and up, then when I realized I could try and sell J. Allen it was like the sun-rising -- wow, I can trade down if a good option presents, but if not, we have an asset that could help us get back in!

Ideally, Allen will be on board and be re-energized by a whole new regime, but if he's worn out here and just wants something new -- and I wouldn't blame him -- then he represents another asset that can help in the rebuild.

I’m starting to change my thinking some here. I’m not fully vested mind you, but I’m a lot more open to this than I was:

Take Alt/Fashanu, and then see whom of the bottom 3 are left at 36-40 range? Seems like one will be there, maybe 2.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Wait, a lot of people thought BB was going to ATL.

Does that mean only SEA and WAS are left with openings and BB will possibly taking one of them?

Can we see him going to SEA? I'm not sure how the fans there will feel about that after the SB loss.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Really for me just want a QB, a couple of OL and a TE/or big WR in the first 4 commanders picks doesn't matter where at this point.
Yup this….that sounds like a great draft if they get a bunch of new starters. I just don’t see how Peters passes on a QB at 2.

Does that mean only SEA and WAS are left with openings and BB will possibly taking one of them?

Can we see him going to SEA? I'm not sure how the fans there will feel about that after the SB loss.
ESPN talking heads were saying earlier there isn't a ton of teams interested…maybe his age….

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

BB got two interviews with Atlanta. They still went with Morris. Thats gotta sting for ole Bill.

Just us and Seattle now and there's rumors of Dan Quinn going back there.

Ben is ours if we want him.

Here is the complete list of coach and GM hires, fires and interviews.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
There's been no real, legitimate smoke here connecting the Harris group to BB, certainly not to the extent of other candidates. Agree that B. Johnson seems the likeliest, bordering on inevitable -- which is just fine with me.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Draft the best available QB at N2OA unless you don’t like any of them. Then turn attention to the rest of the roster. You can’t risk not getting exactly who you want even if that means paying to move up to N1OA. The QB carousel has to come to an end now. If they swing and miss, reboot and try again.

Reactions: kicksavedave

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
There's been no real, legitimate smoke here connecting the Harris group to BB, certainly not to the extent of other candidates. Agree that B. Johnson seems the likeliest, bordering on inevitable -- which is just fine with me.
They've interviewed 8 guys and requested a second interview with four of them.... And none of them are Bill Belicik. He's not on their radar at all, the media was always full of shit on this rumor. 🤣

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad