OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Its the dual threat and the higher upside that is starting to win me over.

I thought the below had some interesting comments about JD over DM.

I’m sure Randy Mueller has forgotten more about football than I’ll ever know. And it’s interesting to hear how much he likes JD. However, there’s some cognitive dissonance going on saying that Maye is a “bigger Mac Jones”, but has a big problem with his accuracy.

Putting aside that Maye has arguably the strongest arm of the top 3 QBs (vice Mac Jones’ pea shooter), Jones’ biggest selling point coming out of college was his accuracy.

Anyways, I can’t tell if people just say things to be contrarians or to get clicks. I’m pretty sure, at this point, Kiper does. Or perhaps the interwebs have just made me too cynical, and I can no longer take anything credulously, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: Holtbyisms

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I guess I don’t understand why any controversial opinion always defaults to being about “clickbait”….maybe the veteran of a lot of years in the league really believes what he says…

Maybe Kiper believes in JD more?

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I guess I don’t understand why any controversial opinion always defaults to being about “clickbait”….maybe the veteran of a lot of years in the league really believes what he says…

Every year the draft media picks a darling QB who gets spun up in the hype machine and rises up in the draft to challenge the consensus top QB(s) in the draft. ... Last couple have been Anthony Richardson and Trey Lance. Sometimes it works out like Josh Allen, more often than not you get Daniel Jones. It makes for great TV and there's no better draft hype man than Kiper. Hard to take his opinion seriously having watched him weave the same web for 30 years.

Reactions: RedRocking and g00n

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Every year the draft media picks a darling QB who gets spun up in the hype machine and rises up in the draft to challenge the consensus top QB(s) in the draft. ... Last couple have been Anthony Richardson and Trey Lance. Sometimes it works out like Josh Allen, more often than not you get Daniel Jones. It makes for great TV and there's no better draft hype man than Kiper. Hard to take his opinion seriously having watched him weave the same web for 30 years.
They sit around a room, all the networks and media outlets and pick? How do they pick? ;)

I find Kiper to be just fine. He’s right, he’s wrong, he’s well connected, informed and knowledgeable.

This is no exact science. The combine, the interview’s, the process spins up guys, and lowers guys, the media simply reports on it. It is what it is. The media didn’t draft Danny Dimes.

Seems to me more often than not they fail because it’s one of the hardest jobs in the world, and employers are desperate to fill the role with a better guy too often.

Last edited:
Reactions: kicksavedave

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

I believe he has JD #2 in his 1.0 mock draft in the preview vid I watched unless I was so tired I got delerious. I do recall him mentioning with the combine coming up those with all the physical traits get pushed up even higher.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

I really like this particular Maye video. It shows him making a variety of NFL caliber throws (including drops that don’t make it into most highlight videos), while highlighting his elite physical traits.

It’s fair though, and goes into his weaknesses as well (such as footwork, hitch in his release).

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
They sit around a room, all the networks and media outlets and pick? How do they pick? ;)

I find Kiper to be just fine. He’s right, he’s wrong, he’s well connected, informed and knowledgeable.

This is no exact science. The combine, the interview’s, the process spins up guys, and lowers guys, the media simply reports on it. It is what it is. The media didn’t draft Danny Dimes.

Seems to me more often than not they fail because it’s one of the hardest jobs in the world, and employers are desperate to fill the role with a better guy too often.
I agree with everything you’re saying that with all the variables involved, no one can really predict the success of QB prospects. Kind of wild that we’re no better at QB eval than we were 30 years ago when the Skins drafted Shuler!

With Kiper specifically, he is the OG NFL draftnik, whose opinion carries a lot of weight in the media. He, like his employer, ESPN - are in the business of hyping up the draft, which has become their huge TV spectacle. Accordingly, a large portion of ESPN content from February to April is devoted to debating the top prospects.

And nothing captures the imagination like a good QB controversy at the top. Enter the trendy late riser like Daniels, or Richardson last year (also: Kiper had Malik Wilis top 10; Will Levis top 5; and once staked his career on Jimmy Clausen).

So, I take some of his stuff with a grain of salt, knowing it is (in part) designed to hype engagement with ESPN draft content, and increase the spectacle of draft day. That’s all. Doesn’t mean liking JD > DM is some unreasonable take.

Last edited:

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
Reactions: Neil Racki

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

Kiper doesn't have as much insider info as he used to. People feed him a line of crap now cause they know what he's going to do with it. For example, last year, he correctly projected 1 pick in the first round. He's just another dude who watches a ton of college football. lol

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

I really like this particular Maye video. It shows him making a variety of NFL caliber throws (including drops that don’t make it into most highlight videos), while highlighting his elite physical traits.

It’s fair though, and goes into his weaknesses as well (such as footwork, hitch in his release).

This is a good one. Highlights the risk/reward here and I like the Herbert comp.

I think the footwork thing is a legit concern on NFL timing plays but it's hard to say if he CAN'T do those things or just doesn't need to in the UNC offense. It's also easy to look at film later and say "that guy was open for 1/30th of a second, why the hell didn't he throw it??" but real time play is much different and a QB can't always see every player. A little doubt about unseen defenders, especially on tight routes, 3rd downs, or close to your own endzone, can give any QB pause.

Couldn't get through the Colt McCoy vid. Waaaaay too long and choppy even with skipping the annoying podcast style convo banter. 45min that could've been <10.

Maybe posted before but same guy reviewing Caleb Williams. Haven't watched it all yet.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This is a good one. Highlights the risk/reward here and I like the Herbert comp.

I think the footwork thing is a legit concern on NFL timing plays but it's hard to say if he CAN'T do those things or just doesn't need to in the UNC offense. It's also easy to look at film later and say "that guy was open for 1/30th of a second, why the hell didn't he throw it??" but real time play is much different and a QB can't always see every player. A little doubt about unseen defenders, especially on tight routes, 3rd downs, or close to your own endzone, can give any QB pause.

Couldn't get through the Colt McCoy vid. Waaaaay too long and choppy even with skipping the annoying podcast style convo banter. 45min that could've been <10.

Maybe posted before but same guy reviewing Caleb Williams. Haven't watched it all yet.

In that Randy Mueller/Keim podcast; he said people immediately see the size and the big arm, but he doesn’t display the processing and accuracy to make it a good comparison to Herbert. I like Maye, hope he impresses in the pre-draft big time to eliminate those doubts.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
In that Randy Mueller/Keim podcast; he said people immediately see the size and the big arm, but he doesn’t display the processing and accuracy to make it a good comparison to Herbert. I like Maye, hope he impresses in the pre-draft big time to eliminate those doubts.

This is my fear with Maye. He has all the tools except the NFL CPU. The big knock on him seems to be he's really bad under pressure. Like, much worse than his peers when they're under pressure. Like Sam Howell bad under pressure.

Sure, they can try to build the 91 Hogs to protect him like they did due Mark Rypien, but it's unrealistic. Scouting reports I've read say Daniels is much better under pressure, and he was under pressure a lot at LSU. Food for thought.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
This is my fear with Maye. He has all the tools except the NFL CPU. The big knock on him seems to be he's really bad under pressure. Like, much worse than his peers when they're under pressure. Like Sam Howell bad under pressure.

Sure, they can try to build the 91 Hogs to protect him like they did due Mark Rypien, but it's unrealistic. Scouting reports I've read say Daniels is much better under pressure, and he was under pressure a lot at LSU. Food for thought.

I'm undecided between the 3 right now but I suspect the combine will spin everything into chaos so why even bother thinking too hard about it lol

Reactions: kicksavedave

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
This is a great read, brings back so many memories for us old timers. The 1991 Redskins team was as dominant as any football team ever. Right there with the 72 Dolphins and 86 Bears.

*Footnote, my in person fantasy football league, buddies of mine for 30 plus years, our trophy is named the Glenn Brenner Memorial Trophy. He was the best. Sad that he didn't live to see that Super Bowl.

Last edited:

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
This is a great read, brings back so many memories for us old timers. The 1991 Redskins team was as dominant as any football team ever. Right there with the 72 Dolphins and 86 Bears.

*Footnote, my in person fantasy football league, buddies of mine for 30 plus years, our trophy is named the Glenn Brenner Memorial Trophy. He was the best. Sad that he didn't live to see that Super Bowl.

GB was great.

It’s Thursday, so that means it’s another edition of?

* Gordon * Encore Wednesday!!!

I have, on Beta somewhere, the redskins sidelines when riggo came out in a tux and top hat, ripped like after a dinner with Sandra Day. Glenn and Sonny couldn’t stop laughing, they gave it a go trying to keep the show on track, but alas it was too much.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
GB was great.

It’s Thursday, so that means it’s another edition of?

* Gordon * Encore Wednesday!!!

I have, on Beta somewhere, the redskins sidelines when riggo came out in a tux and top hat, ripped like after a dinner with Sandra Day. Glenn and Sonny couldn’t stop laughing, they gave it a go trying to keep the show on track, but alas it was too much.

The story of how GB left Philly and came to DC is also a classic. He was a little too loosey goosey for the Philly TV station that he worked at, they wanted him to tone down the humor a bit. So they moved his sports spot into a large, separate wooden set, off from the main desk where the anchors sat. The set apparently looked a little like the jury box in a court room. When they started rolling his first spot in the new set, he stood up, raised his right arm and said "We find the defendant not guilty". They fired him pretty soon. He came to DC soon thereafter and was a legend!

Great article about GB and the story I referenced above.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad