OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
That KC/Buffalo game was great. I like the targeted play calls by Johnson for Detroit in the second half that really stood out to me.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't understand Buffalo's playcalling half the time. When Cook isn't going anywhere with runs up the middle why keep going back to that in the crucial part of the game? And it didn't seem like they were using it to set up play action, say to Kincaid or Knox etc.

It's hard to drive the ball down the field when you run for 1yd on first down so much. Reminds me of Gibbs 2.0.

I get that they were down 3 and felt like they didn't want to risk an INT while in FG position but, well you saw what happened. Maybe run more designed plays for Allen instead? He was chewing them up on the ground.

Seems to me the teams that won this weekend were aggressive, but at the right times and in the right ways. That fake punt was probably the dumbest call of the year.

Yes I'm bitter because that loss crushed 2 very nice bets including a monster futures from the preseason.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Mahomes has never failed to get to the AFC Championship game since he's been the starter. Different animal indeed. Not human.

And this year he really doesn't have that much talent to work with on the offensive side of the ball.
I think when all is said and done he may eclipse Brady. Much more complete game than TB.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Yes, of course, but it will take a few years before we have similar talent. We will have to temper our expectations somewhat. It will take time to get the roster fixed. This is Brad Holmes 3rd full season with Detroit. They were a hot mess when he got there in Jan 2021.
And they built this team through the draft. Their last 3 drafts have been monster, and their best players have come in those last 3 drafts (plus the trade that helped get them more draft capital, in the case of Goff):

2021: Sewell, Onwuzurike, McNeil, Melifonwu, St. Brown (4th rd superstar!), Barnes (game sealing INT)

2022: Hutchinson, Williams, Paschal, Joseph, Rodriguez

2023: Gibbs, Campbell, LaPorta, Branch

Much as I'd like to pull a HOU and get our QB and LT in this draft, the idea of dropping down a few picks, hopefully staying in position to get Daniels, and adding future high picks is also pretty appealing.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Decent weekend of football .. chiefs/bills game was the only actual playoff feel game

These games so far .. not that competitive or riveting imo
You didn’t think the Niner/Packer game was competitive or riveting?

Detroit almost gave back their game as well (Tampa had the ball w a chance to tie it).

Only the B’mer game was a blitzkrieg. IMO

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Kiper has Washington taking Jayden Daniels in his first mock draft

Couple folks here are going to stroke out if we take Daniels at 2….Mel had some compelling stuff…

I’m sure someone will fact check his assertion that Maye struggled with accuracy late in the season. Daniels added size and really took that next step from the previous season. 40 passing TD with only 4 INTs IS pretty impressive in terms of accuracy and decision-making.

Peters must get this pick right….Mel does still lIke Maye to go 3 in this mock.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Couple folks here are going to stroke out if we take Daniels at 2….Mel had some compelling stuff…

I’m sure someone will fact check his assertion that Maye struggled with accuracy late in the season. Daniels added size and really took that next step from the previous season. 40 passing TD with only 4 INTs IS pretty impressive in terms of accuracy and decision-making.

I also think Kiper (and his ilk) just like to hype up draft controversy, especially since the whole world has 1 and 2 being set for Caleb/Maye.

No one would buy Caleb not going 1, so they’re focusing on Maye/Daniels as the “start” of the draft. I bet Daniels has an amazing combine, and pro day - and then the media will go nuts, as they love competing QBs at the top of the draft.

And if Lamar makes the SB? Daniels stock will be through the roof. And we’ll be arguing about it for months in this thread, lol.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

As of today, it seems like Daniels should last at least until the back half of the top 10, but with combine, interviews, and more actual experts digging full-time into film, it may well be that he closes the gap w/ the top 2.
I had started to do some digging into Maye scouting reports a few weeks back and was seeing some of the stuff that folks have alluded to hear -- I even posted here that at that point, I stopped digging -- I don't need more doubt in my life!
Long story short, I'd be thrilled if we could trade down a few spots, get a couple more assets and still get Daniels, but it seems like the 3 top QBs could well be the top 3 picks, so we'll likely have to stay put. (Having to fight two-plus decades of emotional abuse to keep myself from deciding that whichever one we get will end up being the worst of the bunch.)

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Disclaimer: All blame for the following should be directed to @kicksavedave ...

1705959866243.png

Pre-draft, flipped J. Allen to J'ville for their #1 this year (17OA) and a 4th next year.
On the clock, traded 2OA to LAC for #1 (5OA) and #2 (37OA) this year and their first and 4th next year.
Took Jayden at 5OA, then traded J'ville's 1st and LAC's 2nd to TEN for 7OA and another '25 4th.
Got Alt with the TEN pick.

So J. Allen and our 2OA turn into franchise QB, franchise LT, plus LAC's #1 next year and 3 additional '25 4ths (plus our full complement of picks) -- and none of our '24 picks beyond the 2OA.

We lose Allen in the middle, but no doubt fellow 'Baman P. Mathis can slide into that spot. (A guy can dream...)

• Love
Reactions: kicksavedave

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
I’m liking daniels more and more. I say if they want him, go for him.

Even better, act like you’re gonna take maye and if the pats really want him, trade down to 3OA first

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Disclaimer: All blame for the following should be directed to @kicksavedave ...

View attachment 808157

Pre-draft, flipped J. Allen to J'ville for their #1 this year (17OA) and a 4th next year.
On the clock, traded 2OA to LAC for #1 (5OA) and #2 (37OA) this year and their first and 4th next year.
Took Jayden at 5OA, then traded J'ville's 1st and LAC's 2nd to TEN for 7OA and another '25 4th.
Got Alt with the TEN pick.

So J. Allen and our 2OA turn into franchise QB, franchise LT, plus LAC's #1 next year and 3 additional '25 4ths (plus our full complement of picks) -- and none of our '24 picks beyond the 2OA.

We lose Allen in the middle, but no doubt fellow 'Baman P. Mathis can slide into that spot. (A guy can dream...)

Pipe dream.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

Looking more and more like Johnson will indeed be our guy. I was definitely impressed with his play-calling over the weekend, and in general, what he’s accomplished with Goff the past couple years.

He would be an exciting hire, and a great guy to mold our young new franchise QB.

Last edited:
Reactions: TCB and John Price

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Looking more and more like Johnson will indeed be our guy. I was definitely impressed with his play-calling over the weekend, and in general, what he’s accomplished with Goff the past couple years.

He would be an exciting hire, and a great guy to mold our young new franchise QB.

Bolded was impressed as well. Felt like he took advantage of match up issues play by play. The amazing Gibbs run in 2nd half really impressed me play call wise.

Reactions: RedRocking

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I imagine who we are mocked to take will be musical chairs up until we actually pick.

I dont watch much college ball so I wont pretend to be an expert but I do want someone that isnt a project. I want someone who can stand in pocket, go through reads and run an NFL playbook. Cherry on top if he also has good pocket awareness and some scramble ability.

What I do know ...

We are in a really really really really good spot for this new ownership to come in. No inherited Haskins on the roster, no horrible dead money

Complete clean slate with good draft picks in a projected good draft class

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad