OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
If DM is the guy he definitely needs to sit a year and get all the mechanics sorted out. Mahomes sat out his first year and cleaned up the issues he had.
It’s overblown. His line and system sucked last year. Despite this, he carried them. His rookie tape was dominant.

As for me making the Daniels Fields comp I’m being generous. Fields is bigger.

The talking heads are drumming up the JD hype bc they need content and we’re almost 2 months out.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
The need to continually respond with snark and belittlements is as useful as the hyperbole you claim I am using.

Being “emotional” for any of these prospects is the job of their family, friends, and agents. I am none of those things.

Ergo, I am not emotionally invested. I have long stated that I don’t much care who the team picks, as I want to believe in the new brain trust, and assume that they will do the right thing.

Bark up a different tree, hombre.
You seem awfully aggressive for a guy who doesn’t care….come on dude…relax.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I watched/listened to it. Not buying into it. (Note, I'm not shit-talking Nate Tice.)

Also, rumors of conversations held last year mean less than hard intel this spring. Hard intel -- of which we all have little to none at this stage.

Pro days and deeper interviews to follow. Which will be followed by even more rumors/smoke-screens/lies/guesses.

100%. By design, one advantage to teams is the extra contract year on 1st-rounders. I can see forfeiting that advantage for a guy you're taking a first round flier on further down the round. Sure as hell not a top-3 pick.
It’s not a sacrifice if it’s good for the QBs development arc. They need to pick the right guy and then build a plan to put that player in the best possible position.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Nah, the team quit on Howell and the season in November of '23, and the team totally imploded the last two months (apparently it started with that Thursday Night horror show against the Bears, but they still competed for a good month or more after that, it was only in the lead up to, and after the Cowboys game where they had 2 game plans every sunday: 1. Quit or 2. Choke, late.

I still believe Howell was pretty good last year, and was basically hosed by his coaches, his OL and some of his teammates giving up, I still think he can be good to average (topping out a top 10-15 QB), but that isn't good enough to pass on a QB when we lucked into slot 2 in what for me is a 3 stud class, w/two top end, really really big time studs.
I’m not advocating that they pass on a QB. I think it’s a terrific (and too heavy), class of throwers.

However, I can also see the logic in trading down and adding as much additional ammo as possible, as this team isn’t stocked w talent across the board (I like the WR, RB, and DL rooms, sorta…..but that’s it).

I’d also keep Howell and start him, regardless of new QB add or not. Howells value should rise (obv a vision, and not an assumption), giving the team further leverage WTR his future.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
You seem awfully aggressive for a guy who doesn’t care….come on dude…relax.
Again, really appreciate you telling us what to do around here. Definitely integral to the success of this board!

We’d be lost without you! 🤥🤥🤥

Ok, you about done now? Or do you need a last word?

It’s not a sacrifice if it’s good for the QBs development arc. They need to pick the right guy and then build a plan to put that player in the best possible position.
Agreed. Whomever they choose, their gameplan has to be specific to that individual.

Which I have confidence that this staff will do so, and was purposely picked that way. The design was to have challenging viewpoints. Which should allow for a wide swath of options in deciding preparations for their young players.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
The need to continually respond with snark and belittlements is as useful as the hyperbole you claim I am using.

Being “emotional” for any of these prospects is the job of their family, friends, and agents. I am none of those things.

Ergo, I am not emotionally invested. I have long stated that I don’t much care who the team picks, as I want to believe in the new brain trust, and assume that they will do the right thing.

Bark up a different tree, hombre.
JFC, there was no snark or belittlement. You are reading shit that is. not. there.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
1709675259341.png

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Curl on twitter throwing dueces.

Saying goodbye to WAS?

Guess we didnt offer the 5/80M his dad demanded.

16m AAV .. of course the 80 number doesnt matter, its the guar $.

Id gone up to 5/80/50 guaranteed w the most of the 50 coming over the first 3 yrs giving you an out in yr 4

-----------

Sucks if true but nothing is done yet

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Guess we didnt offer the 5/80M his dad demanded.

16m AAV .. of course the 80 number doesnt matter, its the guar $.

Id gone up to 5/80/50 guaranteed w the most of the 50 coming over the first 3 yrs giving you an out in yr 4

-----------

Sucks if true but nothing is done yet
Kind of ambivalent. Feels like his performance dipped the last year or two. Hard to say how much of that's real and how much was the entire D turning into storm-drenched dog shit.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
The Niners were (are) not afraid to act boldly. So, I don’t think Peters is going to shy away from it, if need be.

I think we will see at least one major signing in FA. Perhaps two.

Then a lot of smaller signings. I hope they don’t spend just for the sakes of it, but I also don’t think they need to carry a lot of it over, either.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
They've said repeatedly they don't intend to make big purchases even though they have a lot of cap room

Spend smarter, not harder

Reactions: ynotcaps

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Again, really appreciate you telling us what to do around here. Definitely integral to the success of this board!

We’d be lost without you! 🤥🤥🤥

Ok, you about done now? Or do you need a last word?

Agreed. Whomever they choose, their gameplan has to be specific to that individual.

Which I have confidence that this staff will do so, and was purposely picked that way. The design was to have challenging viewpoints. Which should allow for a wide swath of options in deciding preparations for their young players.
Stop the false bravado….nobody is telling “us” how to do anything…..you’re just spinning up infighting. This is supposed to be enjoyable…but instead you’re just all aggressive. Relax bro. Enjoy this process and present an intelligent debate….eesh. Feel free to message me if you feel that last word need.

JFC, there was no snark or belittlement. You are reading shit that is. not. there.
I don’t get where he’s coming from….I'm not seeing it….yet he’s returning with friendly fire lol….

• Haha
Reactions: Ridley Simon

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I’d also keep Howell and start him, regardless of new QB add or not. Howells value should rise (obv a vision, and not an assumption), giving the team further leverage WTR his future.
I'd second this no need to rush a rookie in there. Going to take more than one year to get that O line fixed also.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I said this a month ago and people were like noooo…..gotta start a top QB pick immediately……says who?!

Its pretty rare for a QB picked in the Top 3 to sit for a year. Rodgers, Love, others who sat fire a year or more, were drafted much further back. The last top pick I can recall sitting a whole year was Carson Palmer. Who am I missing? Also, who your current starter is has to matter there also, right? Is Sam the guy to groom the rookie? JB, someone else?

I'm not saying you have to play the guy, but it's rare. An admission that he's not ready, but super rare to make that decision on a top 2 pick. There is an implied expectation that he's ready to play, that he's instantly the best QB on the roster.

Reactions: Roric and ynotcaps

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Its pretty rare for a QB picked in the Top 3 to sit for a year. Rodgers, Love, others who sat fire a year or more, were drafted much further back. The last top pick I can recall sitting a whole year was Carson Palmer. Who am I missing? Also, who your current starter is has to matter there also, right? Is Sam the guy to groom the rookie? JB, someone else?

I'm not saying you have to play the guy, but it's rare. An admission that he's not ready, but super rare to make that decision on a top 2 pick. There is an implied expectation that he's ready to play, that he's instantly the best QB on the roster.
I just think that’s an outdated mentality….or should be. I said it before….keep Sam, start him. Coaches groom players….not incumbent starters….set up a healthy environment and let them compete while (probably) DM sits a year…then trade Sam for more…

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I just think that’s an outdated mentality….or should be. I said it before….keep Sam, start him. Coaches groom players….not incumbent starters….
Agreed it seems like artificial pressure from older NFL times and dumb media ginning up content. For sure drafted prospects can develop faster than expectations and sometime a bit slower.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad