OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Same guy (Kurt Benkert) on Caleb. Thinks he has the highest ceiling, but thinks he also needs to not be forced to start week 1.

Some crazy implications to that notion. Does CHI take him if they agree? Probably not, right, because how do you justify taking Fields's replacement and then making him sit for a period. Meanwhile, they'd have to have let Fields go because their leverage gets worse if they've taken his eventual replacement at 1 OA. If they really don't think he's ready, they can't take DM, who looks less ready than Caleb, so they either take JD or move back (hopefully with NE) to take whoever's left at QB or MHJ and keep Fields.

Not to say that many -- or even just CHI -- are going to agree with that assessment, but it raises a bunch of fun questions.

Hey, we can overpay for a washed up Russ and then draft MHJ to give him another weapon to miss, or trade back for an OT so he's better protected while he throws incompletions!

Reactions: Ridley Simon

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
This is just your opinion, shared by some others, but there are plenty of professionals not named Kiper who favor JD over Maye and they all list plenty of valid reasons.

At some point, it's like saying which girl is prettier, the blonde or the brunette. It's a matter of personal preference, not a matter of fact.

This guy played QB in the NFL briefly... he's not some random youtuber.

This was good.

Reactions: kicksavedave

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I don’t know much, but last night I watched LSU vs ole Miss and Oregon vs UNC (2022). Don’t think this was Mayes best game, whereas that was one of Daniels.

Daniels played a great game, but it looked so easy for him due to the talent on offense. Clean pockets, wide open receivers. LSUs defense didn’t do the offense any favors as they were down two TDs the whole first half. Daniels did stay calm and kept the team rolling for the win. He made a few off platform throws that I was impressed with. I think he’s got better accuracy than Maye and has a tight quick release.

Maye made some inaccurate throws that made me scratch my head. He’s not as good at making people miss as Daniels, but he’s got some wheels.. his receivers were blanketed the entire game and you can see the difference in talent. I can only recall 2-3 plays where he had a guy uncovered or open. Maye did drive the team down for a field goal to increase the lead, but nix and team scored, leaving about 15 seconds or so on the clock.

To say Maye has good or acceptable talent around him is an overstatement, and anyone saying that needs to actually watch the games. Those guys are rarely ever open, no separation, and zero play making ability. Maye is dropping it in for them to make a play and they just fail over and over. I saw the frustration a few times during the game.

After watching those games I’d still be happy with either player, but I worry about both.
So this was an unranked UNC vs #11 Oregon last year? Just want to make sure I’m evaluating the talent chasm between the 2 teams correctly. And Ole Miss/LSU this year?

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
So this was an unranked UNC vs #11 Oregon last year? Just want to make sure I’m evaluating the talent chasm between the 2 teams correctly. And Ole Miss/LSU this year?
If it was LSU/Ole Miss and LSU won, that would have to be '22.

EDIT: re-reading OP, sound like both games were from the 2022 season.

Last edited:

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
If I wanted advice on kneeling the ball I'd ask Kurt Benkert
Hmm. Being a back-up NFL QB -- or a college QB who never played in the NFL -- is a fairly common thread among current head coaches. Former QBs might a better study of other QBs than you think.

Cincinnati Bengals - Zac Taylor, Wake Forest, Butler C.C., Nebraska quarterback (2002 to ’06)​

Denver Broncos - Sean Payton, Eastern Illinois quarterback (1983 to ’86)​

Green Bay Packers - Matt LaFleur, Western Michigan, Saginaw Valley State quarterback (1998 to ’02)​

Indianapolis Colts - Shane Steichen, UNLV quarterback (2003 to ’06)​

Jacksonville Jaguars - Doug Pederson, Northeast Louisiana quarterback (1987 to ’90)​

Los Angeles Chargers - Jim Harbaugh, Michigan quarterback (1982 to ’86)​

Minnesota Vikings - Kevin O’Connell, San Diego State quarterback (2003 to ’07)​

Tennessee Titans - Brian Callahan, UCLA quarterback (2002 to ’05)​

Of 8 guys, only Harbaugh had an NFL career to speak of. Not bad for a bunch of kneelers.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Hmm. Being a back-up NFL QB -- or a college QB who never played in the NFL -- is a fairly common thread among current head coaches. Former QBs might a better study of other QBs than you think.

Cincinnati Bengals - Zac Taylor, Wake Forest, Butler C.C., Nebraska quarterback (2002 to ’06)​

Green Bay Packers - Matt LaFleur, Western Michigan, Saginaw Valley State quarterback (1998 to ’02)​

Jacksonville Jaguars - Doug Pederson, Northeast Louisiana quarterback (1987 to ’90)​

Of 8 guys, only Harbaugh had an NFL career to speak of. Not bad for a bunch of kneelers.
If Benkert develops into a world-class NFL coach than sure, I guess I'll be proven wrong. For now the guy has gained a following for analyzing plays on Madden, so I'll take his QB analysis with a grain of salt to say the least. Unless you're looking for guys that will excel at the XFL level. I guarantee most people had no idea who this guy was before he started putting out all these tweets about this year's draft class and fanbases ran away with it

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Fair enough. But not knowing your background, I'll take his 30-minute breakdown of games from last season of each season of the 3 over your impressions from a game from each in '22.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Everyone on Commanders Reddit is blowing off the Benkert eval as a pretty biased hit piece. I personally just want a good QB. I don’t care what their name is or where they went to school. Lots of fun options at 2OA. Please don’t screw it up!

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
the Donks moving on from Wilson could complicate the trade scenario a bit. They may try to move up into X position. But there are several good QBs available this draft. Could be another historical year.

My sense is still moving back maybe 5-6 spots likely keeps you in the hunt for one of the top 5 guys, and it could return a massive haul.

But I'm starting to wonder if HarrisCo might view that as a weak opening move to start the new era, subject to a high level of fan scrutiny and disapproval, and could prefer making a signature 2OA pick instead.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Fair enough. But not knowing your background, I'll take his 30-minute breakdown of games from last season of each season of the 3 over your impressions from a game from each in '22.
More than fair, I’m not saying to listen to me over him, I’m just saying I personally don’t let his opinion sway me too much. You do you man

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
the Donks moving on from Wilson could complicate the trade scenario a bit. They may try to move up into X position. But there are several good QBs available this draft. Could be another historical year.

My sense is still moving back maybe 5-6 spots likely keeps you in the hunt for one of the top 5 guys, and it could return a massive haul.

But I'm starting to wonder if HarrisCo might view that as a weak opening move to start the new era, subject to a high level of fan scrutiny and disapproval, and could prefer making a signature 2OA pick instead.
Yeah, good way to look at it. Do they want to look back in 10-20 years (or longer) and have folks say, "Damn, they could've set themselves for a decade and they chickened out."

I obviously have my favorite, but any way you cut it, they have to make this pick, whoever their guy is.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

At this point, I should just outsource my opinion on these QBs to Nate Tice. He seems to articulate every random thought I’ve had on the subject, but with real football terminology.

Wait - is this a Fight Club situation, where unbeknownst to me, I spent the weekend in Indy, as Nate Tice? *laughs nervously*

I am Jack’s existential crisis…

Last edited:

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
I wonder how often a GM takes a consensus QB and not the guy they really want, because its a safer pick from a career standpoint. Like taking Chase Young. Hey it was the right choice - he was consensus #2, and in doing so punt on QB despite not having one for 2 decades because its a riskier pick.

GMs are human. They get influenced. Like many (I think) comparing maye to herbert because he wears a powder blue #10 and is tall, without realizing it.

I think we have all seen when a falsehood simply gets repeated, the masses will buy in.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

Wait.

So because this guy (who I’ve never heard of, and I’ve followed ALL football for like 45yrs, but perhaps I missed him?) fits that “ex who is ex who is ex” criteria, he’s as good as the golden standard yup are quoting??

Well SHIT — I cannot believe that No One has signed him to be a coach or scout?? Shouldn’t he be — you know — in the game??

Edit — I looked at his career. Gets hurt a LOT, played a couple of meh seasons at Virginia. Didn’t get drafted. Signed on a slew of practice squads for around 4yrs.

Got activated w GB during COVID year, as people got sick. He came in for 2 plays and knelt down both times, and THAT was the extent of his “career”.

Back up my ass. He’s a nobody. I’d rather hear from known diva’s like RGMe than this dude.

Last edited:

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Wait.

So because this guy (who I’ve never heard of, and I’ve followed ALL football for like 45yrs, but perhaps I missed him?) fits that “ex who is ex who is ex” criteria, he’s as good as the golden standard yup are quoting??

Well SHIT — I cannot believe that No One has signed him to be a coach or scout?? Shouldn’t he be — you know — in the game??

Edit — I looked at his career. Gets hurt a LOT, played a couple of meh seasons at Virginia. Didn’t get drafted. Signed on a slew of practice squads for around 4yrs.

Got activated w GB during COVID year, as people got sick. He came in for 2 plays and knelt down both times, and THAT was the extent of his “career”.

Back up my ass. He’s a nobody. I’d rather hear from known diva’s like RGMe than this dude.
Bit of an over-reaction, and ignoring the end of the statement -- specifically, "former QBs might be a better study of other QBs than you think."

The list was to illustrate that just because a QB wasn't a star (or even a star-ter) doesn't mean a guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Whatever you think of Benkert's background, I don't think you can watch his breakdown of all 3 guys and say, "meh, I know better than he does."

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I don't know if Orlovsky is qualified to talk about QB or not, but his take on Drake Maye is that he needs to sit for a year or two to clean up his sloppy footwork. Kinda mitigates the age difference if you have to wait until Maye is 23-24 to start him.

Reactions: ynotcaps

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Give me Jayden if Drake has to sit a year or two...like you said it mitigates the age difference and I'm ready for the new era to start

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Sitting one year would be ideal especially if we don’t need to trade up. That ensures another big time pick next year most likely. Then we can start competing. Be patient y’all.

If they think they can fix Maye's footwork and erratic accuracy, then the best play would be to start Sam Howell for a year while Maye watches. Let Sam grow his value in a competent offense, then move him out for a higher pick next year than this year. If Sam shows any sort of improvement he'll be a 1st or 2nd round trade candidate next year, given that people are talking about a 3rd for him right now. Having two rookies on rookie deals plus one solid vet like JB as the #2, would be a decent setup to grow and tank at the same time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad