OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

bacchist

lumpy, lumpy head
Feb 7, 2013
Tragic? In 2023, PFF gave Smith an 88.6 pass-blocking grade, the highest in the entire league among offensive linemen to play 100 or more snaps. He’s a beast. I could see us giving him a two or three year contract that we can get out of easily after this year or the next, if needed.

A rookie right handed qbs best friend is a veteran left tackle.
It's probably worse than 50/50 he plays even half the games this year. He's missed 37 games to injury over the last 4 years and hasn't played a full season since 2015.

Reactions: Neil Racki

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Thoughts on the combine?

Impressed with Nix's poise and McCarthy's accuracy. Milton is intriguing but seems all about power.

Not sure how the hell you can see much daylight between most of the WRs.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Thoughts on the combine?

Impressed with Nix's poise and McCarthy's accuracy. Milton is intriguing but seems all about power.

Not sure how the hell you can see much daylight between most of the WRs.

I’m telling y’all. McCarthy is the read deal. Go down to 7 or 8 and take him. Grab a few assets and then get your QB.

Last edited:
Reactions: TCB and g00n

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

Caleb - 6’1 1/8”, 214 lbs (better height than I expected)

Maye - 6’4 3/8”, 223 lbs

McCarthy - 6’2 1/2”, 219 lbs

Daniels declines measurements. Dude probably isn’t 210 lbs. I wonder if he’ll run at his pro day if he’s just trying to gain weight.

Like what I saw from McCarthy today - nice touch and accuracy. He’s an impressive, well-spoken kid as well.

Last edited:
Reactions: g00n and TCB

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Caleb - 6’1 1/8”, 214 lbs (better height than I expected)

Maye - 6’4 3/8”, 223 lbs

McCarthy - 6’2 1/2”, 219 lbs

Daniels declines measurements. Dude probably isn’t 210 lbs. I wonder if he’ll run at his pro day if he’s just trying to gain weight.

Like what I saw from McCarthy today - nice touch and accuracy.
I don’t like that at all….

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
I’m telling ya

I’m telling y’all. McCarthy is the read deal. Go down to 7 or 8 and take him. Grab a few assets and then get your QB.
None of them looked impressive to me, quite the opposite. the top 3 were probably smart to skip in all honesty

Just take maye and call it a day. Taking mccarthy would be a mistake

Last edited:
Reactions: Holtbyisms

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I don’t like that at all….
Yea, not a good look at all. Moreover, he left Indy early. Rich Eisen was ripping him for it. Maye, Caleb and JJ have all hung around talking to broadcasters, journalists and team officials.

Caleb was apparently boo’ed loudly by the Indy crowd, lol. Dude is setting himself up as a heel. Vet defenders are gonna try to murder him.

• Haha
Reactions: g00n

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Moreover, he left Indy early. Rich Eisen was ripping him for it. Maye, Caleb and JJ have all hung around talking to broadcasters, journalists and team officials.

I wouldn't be too worried about any of that. Some of the people being most critical about it were the outlets that didn't get their chance to chat with him. But the people he did talk to seemed to like him plenty...

They both come off well. Maye comes of a bit more canned, winging it but falling back on things you can tell he's said a million times. JD is more casually prepared and natural and comes off humble and mature.

Both seem like good guys. JD impresses me a bit more, but it's marginal. I think this is one of those times where you can see a meaningful age difference and how it's not a bad thing to be a bit older and savvy.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I wouldn't be too worried about any of that. Some of the people being most critical about it were the outlets that didn't get their chance to chat with him. But the people he did talk to seemed to like him plenty...

They both come off well. Maye comes of a bit more canned, winging it but falling back on things you can tell he's said a million times. JD is more casually prepared and natural and comes off humble and mature.

Both seem like good guys. JD impresses me a bit more, but it's marginal. I think this is one of those times where you can see a meaningful age difference and how it's not a bad thing to be a bit older and savvy.

I thought both were pretty good. Maye hung around more so caught a few more on the fly interviews on the NFL combine show. All these kids though have been interviewed a crap ton even as early teenagers.

At this point want to wait till the pro-days before making a final preference.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
One thing I noticed was Maye seemed to stumble quite a bit when asked by the sidelines reporter what he needed to work on.

She said something about consistency iirc, and he kind of babbled a bit while trying hard to retain his smile.

You could tell he was struggling for a way to say he was aware of flaws and willing to work on them without drawing too much attention to them.

The result was a confusing jumble of words that ended up being less reassuring than just saying something like "Oh everyone out here has things to work on, we're all rookies! But I believe in myself and will always do my best for whoever picks me." He more or less got there eventually but it was painful.

It was a little awkward and maybe a little unfair, but I'd have thought he and his camp would've prepared a better response going into this.

Reactions: ynotcaps and Jags

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Totally agree. In JD's short interview above he answered the same question pretty casually and showed humility. Like you said, it's probably just being better prepared for the questions, leading to a bit more comfort and ease.

Not a biggie either way, but JD's definitely a bit more poised. The article linked above about QBs not working out if they're under 205 I think is just one of those quirky little stats that's probably meaningless.

I watched a bunch of the Florio and Simms interviews, so I saw a lot of dudes sitting in the same chair. No question that JD is a narrow dude, but he looked fine. I think part of the issue with him having a strikingly lean build is that he's got a big head. ;)

Reactions: ynotcaps

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Totally agree. In JD's short interview above he answered the same question pretty casually and showed humility. Like you said, it's probably just being better prepared for the questions, leading to a bit more comfort and ease.

Not a biggie either way, but JD's definitely a bit more poised. The article linked above about QBs not working out if they're under 205 I think is just one of those quirky little stats that's probably meaningless.

I watched a bunch of the Florio and Simms interviews, so I saw a lot of dudes sitting in the same chair. No question that JD is a narrow dude, but he looked fine. I think part of the issue with him having a strikingly lean build is that he's got a big head. ;)
Bolded I believe they did ask about his weight/frame prep. but he gave the fairly typical he was blessed already with how he was as is.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Damn….I like them both, but Maye just seemed totally at ease to me. Maye was more verbose, engaging….slight edge to DM for me there (but JD did not disappoint).

BOTH have lean arms, upper bodies it looked like, pretty similar thickness (waist up) from what I could see of them seated…

Interesting JD talking about fine tuning his mechanics working with 3D QB. Dreamy mechanics…

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Yeah, JD comes out a little ahead in everything I've seen. I've definitely got "Our #2 overalls get beat up and turn into pumpkins" syndrome when I look at him though. No calves, big head... It's like watching a Bobblehead playing Tecmo Bowl.

The thing that really makes me nervous is the *way* he runs. Not his tendencies cuz that can be fixed. But he runs like he's got you beat; like he's sure he's faster than you. And on those rare occasions where he's wrong, the hit is ugly and has "reckless abandon" written all over it.

Griffin gave me PTSD, in other words, cuz he ran that way. Not the style, but the hubris. The "I'mma take it to the house" attitude. Fun to watch, but in the NFL it feels like you're putting your knees on the roulette table every time.

I'd probably take him at #2, but I'm sure I'd have the heebie jeebies for his entire career...

giphy.gif

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Yeah, JD comes out a little ahead in everything I've seen. I've definitely got "Our #2 overalls get beat up and turn into pumpkins" syndrome when I look at him though. No calves, big head... It's like watching a Bobblehead playing Tecmo Bowl.

The thing that really makes me nervous is the *way* he runs. Not his tendencies cuz that can be fixed. But he runs like he's got you beat; like he's sure he's faster than you. And on those rare occasions where he's wrong, the hit is ugly and has "reckless abandon" written all over it.

Griffin gave me PTSD, in other words, cuz he ran that way. Not the style, but the hubris. The "I'mma take it to the house" attitude. Fun to watch, but in the NFL it feels like you're putting your knees on the roulette table every time.

I'd probably take him at #2, but I'm sure I'd have the heebie jeebies for his entire career...

giphy.gif
Seriously, who wants to be watching this #2 OA potential franchise changing pick with such bated breath each time he takes off? Yeah he’d be exciting in the beginning but we have enough heart problems just being DC sports fans

Reactions: RedRocking

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Damn….I like them both, but Maye just seemed totally at ease to me. Maye was more verbose, engaging….slight edge to DM for me there (but JD did not disappoint).

BOTH have lean arms, upper bodies it looked like, pretty similar thickness (waist up) from what I could see of them seated…

Interesting JD talking about fine tuning his mechanics working with 3D QB. Dreamy mechanics…
Maye is very country, lol. Seems affable with a good sense of humor. Makes sense he’d feel comfortable working with Eli and Rivers. Watching his tape the past month, his release actually reminds me of Rivers. That high, overhead - almost shot put motion.

I thought JD was a little more shy and soft spoken. They both had their awkward moments over the weekend from what I saw. Nowhere near as comfortable and polished as CW or JJ.

Would have been nice to get a weight on JD. But, not sure there’s much he could do to assuage the RG3 PTSD (or that you’d be drafting skinny Justin Fields at 2OA). Whether or not that’s fair, or smart - it would be hard for me to get over that stylistic bias.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020

Oh man i would love to get aiyuk. I would trade terry for him but preferably dotson. That’s something i’d use one of the draft picks for in a package, not caleb

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad