OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Also, why did JD have a mediocre 2022 season with these same weapons? And why were a lot of LSU fans clamoring for the other kid to start at QB at the beginning of the ‘23 season?

For all the knocks on DM, he broke out in his first year starting, at a much younger age. If people haven’t already - watch some of DM’s tape from 2022. He is much more decisive, has actual receivers to throw to, and has some great runs.

I’ve been watching a lot of JD tape, and boy does he have a lot of time behind that Joe Moore Award finalist O-line. And some of those holes he’s flying through are akin to the Hogs leading the way for Timmy Smith in the SB against Denver.

Still, JD made the plays that were there in an efficient and, at times, spectacular fashion. Can’t take any of that away from him. Just wonder how DM would fared if he stayed committed to Alabama, rather than playing in a constantly collapsing pocket at UNC.

Valuing one college season too much (either way) worries me.
On the '22 season, it was his first season after x-ferring from ASU. Plenty of coverage around the difference between Herm Edwards (dad-style players coach) and Brian Kelly (a screamer). And one of the draft analysts (can't remember which) said he thought JD was one of the most improved players from '21 to '22.

As for the LSU fan reaction -- we're a bunch of spoiled MFers.

(And on the efficiency point: don't recall if it was Chase Daniel or another video, but one of them showed the QB efficiency scores for the top 3 -- Maye was like 150 (i thought, wow! nice!), Caleb was 170-something, Daniels was 208.)

Ian Rappaport just said on NFL Network he has heard that the Commanders and Patriots are already receiving calls from teams who want to trade up for a QB.
If they do, I'm putting the winos on notice right now...

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Thank you for being an awesome vet and community member Leno family. He will be 33 by next year, hip surgery ... had a great career if it is time.

8.25M cap hit this year, 1.5M next 3 yrs after that (or 4.5 in '25)?? am I reading that right? ... I guess we do an injury settlement bc you cant cut injured players.

Starting LT - Dead Cap
Starting RT - Wylie 9.4M cap hit for being a C- player

I was 60% against the move to cut Morgan Moses but hes still playing well up I 95, played 778 snaps last year, 77.6 PFF grade.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
(And on the efficiency point: don't recall if it was Chase Daniel or another video, but one of them showed the QB efficiency scores for the top 3 -- Maye was like 150 (i thought, wow! nice!), Caleb was 170-something, Daniels was 208.)
Looking for this?: Passing Efficiency Rating Single Season Leaders and Records | College Football at Sports-Reference.com

JD has the highest single season efficiency rating ever. CW 2023 has the 94th highest, DM doesn't make the top 100 best seasons, but Sam Howell does :D.

There's also this which looks at all time best QBR's (since 2004 when it became a stat)

JD has the 2nd highest QBR rating of all time and another entry in the top 50 (his shortened 2020 at ASU). DM and CW don't make the top 50 all time QBRs.

And before anyone gripes, I know there's a ton of noise in this data and its not remotely the whole picture, but it does paint a sliver of the level that JD achieved this year.

Last edited:

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Am I starting to detect the scent of a possible trade back into the 1st RD to grab our franchise LT, too?...

Leno was the only guy besides Cosmi that I thought had any chance to be back for 2024. Now we will likely need FOUR new OL to start in 2024. LG and OC are absolute vacancies, and RT with Wylie is a disaster. There's no established depth at all, no succession plan, and not a ton in free agency to provide quick relief, although we can over pay if we need to.

Gawd dangit, Ron Rivera really f***ed this offense up.

Reactions: g00n and ynotcaps

Roric

Aug 2, 2020

Why do I feel like he’s doing everything he can to not end up on the bears

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Leno was the only guy besides Cosmi that I thought had any chance to be back for 2024. Now we will likely need FOUR new OL to start in 2024. LG and OC are absolute vacancies, and RT with Wylie is a disaster. There's no established depth at all, no succession plan, and not a ton in free agency to provide quick relief, although we can over pay if we need to.

Gawd dangit, Ron Rivera really f***ed this offense up.
We invested our 3rd and 4th last year on IOL. Shaadiq Charles is a C grade LG imo. Nick Gates maybe can be serviceable under a new scheme. But yeah ... Cosmi is the only dude that is above average. Lucas is a great swing tackle as first-guy-off-the-bench, not so much week 1 starter.

We do have IOL depth imo, its just unproven. We need Stromberg or Daniels to become an above average IOL.

Id be weary going with 2nd year Stromberg at starting C week 1 though if its paired w a rookie QB.

Gates has to hold down the starting C spot for first 8-10 weeks.

------------------

edit - lol so much for the gates talk

This lets us find and add a vet Center

---

also f*** Jamin Davis ... 115 in a 45 .. f*** you dude, youre an asswhole.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
So if I’m taking score of all the various complaints here….the rallying cries against JD are:

-He’s too thin, will get broken
-LSU talented roster made him look good
-too experienced

DM:

-regressed in season 2
-happy feet and inaccuracy under pressure

CW:

-Nutter Father
-paints his nails

What did I miss?
I would add 'hero ball' for CW
Logan Thomas also waived.
It was time his speed was so slow this past year.

Yes! He sucked. Hopefully they can get some of the better undrafted OL options because there will be opportunity. Would not have a problem if they grab two OL people with picks 2 and 3 as long as no reaches.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Kurt Warner's assessment of all the QBs in this draft. Hint, for Drake Maye fans, you may not love this take. The talk about the QBs starts around 27:15 if you don't want to sit through the other stuff.

Reactions: ynotcaps

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Could shape up to be one of the more interesting drafts in quite some time. Kind of feels like the Bears aren’t sold on Williams and want to trade out of 1OA. Williams and his dad seem to be doing everything in their power to try and manipulate the process and help dictate where he goes. The QB draft class next year looks terrible so there are a lot of teams that are interested in QBs this year.

Also, don’t like Leno being released. He wasn’t great but was better than he got credit for and they have so many holes to fill I don’t see why they needed to get rid of a player that was useful.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad