OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

Saw this sentiment mentioned throughout the weekend. (Boston media as well). The NFL doesn’t have JD > DM on their boards as much as the media had expected, given his recent hype. Only 2 teams supposedly have JD that high (one of which was rumored to be Vegas because Antonio Pierce loves JD from their ASU days).

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Saw this sentiment mentioned throughout the weekend. (Boston media as well). The NFL doesn’t have JD > DM on their boards as much as the media had expected, given his recent hype.

I don't think "the NFL" is talking about who they like so much yet, and "the NFL" also has reasons to mislead. And when I think of "the media" when it comes to the draft, yeah, I think of Kiper and Kiper has JD firmly at 2. So I don't put much stock in that. But Kurt Warner and Chris Simms are also technically "the media" and they agree with Kiper on this particular issue. I think of them as experts on the position whose opinions I've come to value over the years...

See what I mean? This far ahead of the draft, there are credible and incredible sources on both sides. After everyone's thrown and been measured, and especially after the top QBs find homes at the start of free agency, things will start to settle down and there'll be a bit more of a consensus.

That's when "unnamed NFL sources" will be more comfortable being named, the top draft analysts will stop drumming up controversy for clicks and get more serious about being correct for reputation's sake, and the teams actually in the discussion will firm up their choices and "unnamed sources within the team" will start to emerge.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

Saw this sentiment mentioned throughout the weekend. (Boston media as well). The NFL doesn’t have JD > DM on their boards as much as the media had expected, given his recent hype. Only 2 teams supposedly have JD that high (one of which was rumored to be Vegas because Antonio Pierce loves JD from their ASU days).

I've been saying this since the start. Mel Kiper released a early mock with JD at #2 to stir shit up... everybody piggybacks Kioer every year even though he's has an astoundingly bad track record...that's what he gets paid to do. Drake Maye is so much better of a prospect than JD it's not even remotely close. The real debate is if Chicago can see past CW red flags and take him or if they fall in love with Maye. I'm really hoping they take CW.

Reactions: hotpaws

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I've been saying this since the start. Mel Kiper released a early mock with JD at #2 to stir shit up... everybody piggybacks Kioer every year even though he's has an astoundingly bad track record...that's what he gets paid to do. Drake Maye is so much better of a prospect than JD it's not even remotely close. The real debate is if Chicago can see past CW red flags and take him or if they fall in love with Maye. I'm really hoping they take CW.
Nobody cares, just enjoy the ride…hopefully you can gloat AFTER DM is taken #2.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I don't think "the NFL" is talking about who they like so much yet, and "the NFL" also has reasons to mislead. And when I think of "the media" when it comes to the draft, yeah, I think of Kiper and Kiper has JD firmly at 2. So I don't put much stock in that. But Kurt Warner and Chris Simms are also technically "the media" and they agree with Kiper on this particular issue. I think of them as experts on the position whose opinions I've come to value over the years...

See what I mean? This far ahead of the draft, there are credible and incredible sources on both sides. After everyone's thrown and been measured, and especially after the top QBs find homes at the start of free agency, things will start to settle down and there'll be a bit more of a consensus.

That's when "unnamed NFL sources" will be more comfortable being named, the top draft analysts will stop drumming up controversy for clicks and get more serious about being correct for reputation's sake, and the teams actually in the discussion will firm up their choices and "unnamed sources within the team" will start to emerge.
Yeah, I think the top 3 teams especially have incentive to blow smoke. We all have the most to gain in terms of a trade package, but CHI and WAS have the biggest opt'y to bait a trade, and that's with the team directly below them. If CHI really thinks WAS (or NE) is in love with CW, it makes sense for them to look they really like him, too. Same for us w/ either JD or DM if we've got a sense NE desperately wants one of them over the other -- yeah? oh, we love him, too, better come get him if you want him!

I think the real maneuvering/smoke-screening/lying will come after the pro days. Then it'll be buckle up time for sure.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Drake Maye is so much better of a prospect than JD it's not even remotely close.
This is just your opinion, shared by some others, but there are plenty of professionals not named Kiper who favor JD over Maye and they all list plenty of valid reasons.

At some point, it's like saying which girl is prettier, the blonde or the brunette. It's a matter of personal preference, not a matter of fact.

This guy played QB in the NFL briefly... he's not some random youtuber.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
This is just your opinion, shared by some others, but there are plenty of professionals not named Kiper who favor JD over Maye and they all list plenty of valid reasons.

At some point, it's like saying which girl is prettier, the blonde or the brunette. It's a matter of personal preference, not a matter of fact.

“I don’t want to hear a word about JD getting hit hard”……as Maye is blasted and fumbles…

10 mins in and it’s a pretty ugly review….

Last edited:
Reactions: ynotcaps

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

"Professionals" is pretty loose there. For every video you can find of said "professionals" I'm sure there's one for DM as well. This does nothing for me. What speaks volumes is where NFL teams are ranking these guys.

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
“I don’t want to hear a word about JD getting hit hard”……as Maye is blasted and fumbles…

10 mins in and it’s a pretty ugly review….

Every QB in the draft has an incredible collection of highlight reel plays for Youtube. But the entire game all 22 film shows the true entire story. DM has a terrible offense around him, but his pocket presence, footwork, habits and his misses are the stuff that makes NFL QBs bust time and time again. Kurt Warner says the same things about him. He misses the easy layoffs far too often.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Every QB in the draft has an incredible collection of highlight reel plays for Youtube. But the entire game all 22 film shows the true entire story. DM has a terrible offense around him, but his pocket presence, footwork, habits and his misses are the stuff that makes NFL QBs bust time and time again. Kurt Warner says the same things about him. He misses the easy layoffs far too often.
most QB's bust because they don't get the same time they do in college and can't process the game quick enough , footwork can be corrected

my biggest concern with Daniels is can he still be effective at NFL speed

then you throw in how light he is , breaking out as a 5th yr starter , playing behind a stacked team and for me he's an easy pass

Reactions: kicksavedave

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
The idea with Maye has got to be that you can fix his inconsistencies with accuracy and decision making.

If you believe you can fix those, then you can get his baseline play closer to his peak than his valleys and you'll have an awesome player.
But as long as he has them, his play will resemble an EKG display monitor. You'll see the highs, but you'll get a bunch of lows too. Massive amounts of variance.

Even to the untrained eye, the lacking mechanics are apparent, so I can easily buy that as the main source of his issues. I can also buy a scout/coach believing they can get that turned around, because it is absolutely a fixable problem.

Reactions: kicksavedave

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
The idea with Maye has got to be that you can fix his inconsistencies with accuracy and decision making.

If you believe you can fix those, then you can get his baseline play closer to his peak than his valleys and you'll have an awesome player.
But as long as he has them, his play will resemble an EKG display monitor. You'll see the highs, but you'll get a bunch of lows too. Massive amounts of variance.

Even to the untrained eye, the lacking mechanics are apparent, so I can easily buy that as the main source of his issues. I can also buy a scout/coach believing they can get that turned around, because it is absolutely a fixable problem.

The way Kurt Warner describes it, all the QBs in the draft have outstanding talent, but none of them are good enough to be stars in the NFL without improving a lot. All of them, all the top 3, will need to improve their game, their processing, their skills, to be worthy of the pick.. if they don't, then they are busts. And Warner describes it as "you're guessing who can improve and who can't" and no one really knows. Its why the draft is so hard - they have to improve to succeed and the film doesn't tell you who can improve. It only tells you a few bits of what they have to improve on.

For me, I'll take the guy who improved every single year from freshman to senior, in big steps, over the guy who actually regressed both from year to year, and as his draft season went on. DM's last 3 games were his worst. Its still a guess, but the things they have to improve upon are vastly different and JD has shown he can improve year over year. DM has not so far. He still might be able to, but he hasn't shown it yet. JD has.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
The way Kurt Warner describes it, all the QBs in the draft have outstanding talent, but none of them are good enough to be stars in the NFL without improving a lot. All of them, all the top 3, will need to improve their game, their processing, their skills, to be worthy of the pick.. if they don't, then they are busts. And Warner describes it as "you're guessing who can improve and who can't" and no one really knows. Its why the draft is so hard - they have to improve to succeed and the film doesn't tell you who can improve. It only tells you a few bits of what they have to improve on.

For me, I'll take the guy who improved every single year from freshman to senior, in big steps, over the guy who actually regressed both from year to year, and as his draft season went on. DM's last 3 games were his worst. Its still a guess, but the things they have to improve upon are vastly different and JD has shown he can improve year over year. DM has not so far. He still might be able to, but he hasn't shown it yet. JD has.
I don’t know much, but last night I watched LSU vs ole Miss and Oregon vs UNC (2022). Don’t think this was Mayes best game, whereas that was one of Daniels.

Daniels played a great game, but it looked so easy for him due to the talent on offense. Clean pockets, wide open receivers. LSUs defense didn’t do the offense any favors as they were down two TDs the whole first half. Daniels did stay calm and kept the team rolling for the win. He made a few off platform throws that I was impressed with. I think he’s got better accuracy than Maye and has a tight quick release.

Maye made some inaccurate throws that made me scratch my head. He’s not as good at making people miss as Daniels, but he’s got some wheels.. his receivers were blanketed the entire game and you can see the difference in talent. I can only recall 2-3 plays where he had a guy uncovered or open. Maye did drive the team down for a field goal to increase the lead, but nix and team scored, leaving about 15 seconds or so on the clock.

To say Maye has good or acceptable talent around him is an overstatement, and anyone saying that needs to actually watch the games. Those guys are rarely ever open, no separation, and zero play making ability. Maye is dropping it in for them to make a play and they just fail over and over. I saw the frustration a few times during the game.

After watching those games I’d still be happy with either player, but I worry about both.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Trade back to 7 and take JJ McCarthy!

Thought of you when I read this…

J.J. McCarthy may be QB3.

It is smoke-screen season, and I very well may be getting hooked by it. But in Indianapolis, I heard significantly more interest and excitement for how high Michigan QB J.J. McCarthy might go relative to how high LSU QB Jayden Daniels might go.

My sense is that Daniels is not locked into an early draft slot and that the league has turned its attention elsewhere. McCarthy is a strong candidate to go before Daniels in April.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
^^Yeah I saw that too and it sounds like complete horseshit. Just like this article covering the Falcons that insinuates Commanders are in on McCarthy at #2.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

Terrific breakdown. Had to watch his cut on JD to compare. Very different.

If you can watch these B2B and say DM looks like the better prospect, I don't know how. And if it makes you say, "Oh yeah, well that's what 2 years will do for you," you're exactly right: at 23 JD has shown that he's already learned how to manage himself in the pocket, re-set the pocket when needed, set his feet, etc. -- while DM still needs to do so. But DM will be learning it in the first year (or 2) of his rookie contract. Best case scenario, he learns it all in year one and you have a 4-year franchise starter instead of a 5-year guy who came in ready his rookie year.

As well as he treats JD, there's a lot of criticism for the receivers, the line and the coaching at LSU.

Reactions: usiel

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
^^Yeah I saw that too and it sounds like complete horseshit. Just like this article covering the Falcons that insinuates Commanders are in on McCarthy at #2.

I don't think anything on the QBs really matters until we start hearing leaks on how the deep team interviews w/ individual prospects go, where they have them breakdown tape and reads and really start testing these guys minds in addition to their bodies/skills.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad