OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Bit of an over-reaction, and ignoring the end of the statement -- specifically, "former QBs might be a better study of other QBs than you think."

The list was to illustrate that just because a QB wasn't a star (or even a star-ter) doesn't mean a guy doesn't know what he's talking about.

Whatever you think of Benkert's background, I don't think you can watch his breakdown of all 3 guys and say, "meh, I know better than he does."
I don’t think I know better than he does. But you are claiming him as some gospel, and that it’s backed up because half a dozen ex college QB’s are now coaches.

Pedestal him all you want, but that doesnt mean he “knows better” than any of the other draftniks that throw in their 2 cents.

Reactions: RedRocking

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I don’t think I know better than he does. But you are claiming him as some gospel, and that it’s backed up because half a dozen ex college QB’s are now coaches.

Pedestal him all you want, but that doesnt mean he “knows better” than any of the other draftniks that throw in their 2 cents.
Mind is open to my claim of him as gospel and "pedestalling" him -- just waiting for the actual references.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

There is no gospel when it comes to the draft. Even NFL FO's miss all the time, so no one, not even the GM's in the league, are right all that often. But when it comes to us as fans forming our own opinions on who we prefer, we have to choose which of the sea of talking heads we give weight to, and which we don't. For me, I trust NFL QBs, who watch all the all-22 game films, over youtubers or amateur draftniks who watch one or two games and go bananas over the highlight plays, without detailing the flaws, mistakes and other red flags.

I see a handful of folks occasionally dismissing an opinion that disagrees with their preference as coming from someone "unqualified". I personally think Kurt Warner, Dan Orlovski and Phil Simms are qualified to talk about QB prospects, but that still doesn't mean they are the gospel, or even correct. As Warner says, "no one can predict who is going to improve when they get to the NFL, no one."

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Sitting one year would be ideal especially if we don’t need to trade up. That ensures another big time pick next year most likely. Then we can start competing. Be patient y’all.
QBs get better by playing. The only ones that sit are on teams that have high quality established starters already

I'd rather a scenario where by November ish the rookie QB is humming and we lose a bunch of close hard fought shootouts so we're optimistic about the future of our QB while also landing another high pick to add another blue chip talent

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
QBs get better by playing. The only ones that sit are on teams that have high quality established starters already

I'd rather a scenario where by November ish the rookie QB is humming and we lose a bunch of close hard fought shootouts so we're optimistic about the future of our QB while also landing another high pick to add another blue chip talent
So, kinda like what happened w Sam Howell, in 2023?

• Wow
Reactions: kicksavedave

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I tend to give greater weight to former players who showed they are good at analyzing football.

Logan Paulsen is great, Cooley was great but he stopped but hes doing a draft QB breakdown for Sheehan i think. Kurt Warner, orlovsky are good.

Then you have the advanced stat guys doing interviews.

Felt bad for the founder/head guy for the S2 Qb brain test. A new test that has replaced the wonderlic. First had Stroud's test result leaked (not good) then his results were so bad. The owner did interviews explaining that Stroud flew in late that night, little sleep, little to eat and took the test under bad out-of-his-control environment.

Of course Stroud goes on to be OROY.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
So, you felt like arguing w @Roric — who panned Benkert pretty quickly — out of the goodness of your heart?

I am open to your motives as being altruistic, I suppose, versus propping up a guy who supported your own QB narrative.
I posted a video (the second of the Benkert videos posted, I wasn't the original source -- and this was the sum total of the response:
"If I wanted advice on kneeling the ball I'd ask Kurt Benkert"

No value, no argument (in the strictest sense, not emotional). I responded with facts and an opinion that former QBs might be better sources on QB play. Very simple logic and what should be a relatively non-controversial stance. You decided to pull a third-man in swinging sticks ascribing negative motives, and you're still doing it in your last post.

Settle down.

I like hearing QBs break down QBs. I like that Benkert referenced "my coaches would drill that in every QB meeting." I get that you and some other don't like Benkert. That's perfectly fine. I'm not trying to change your mind. But I hope you at least watched the videos to get the sense that he's actual critical of everyone -- QBs, receivers, OLs and coaching. Anyone who views it as a "hitjob" on one guy or another is reacting emotionally to this guy's breakdowns of full game films.

Which is their right. But it doesn't mean it's true.

Calmate, hombre.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I tend to give greater weight to former players who showed they are good at analyzing football.

Logan Paulsen is great, Cooley was great but he stopped but hes doing a draft QB breakdown for Sheehan i think. Kurt Warner, orlovsky are good.

Then you have the advanced stat guys doing interviews.

Felt bad for the founder/head guy for the S2 Qb brain test. A new test that has replaced the wonderlic. First had Stroud's test result leaked (not good) then his results were so bad. The owner did interviews explaining that Stroud flew in late that night, little sleep, little to eat and took the test under bad out-of-his-control environment.

Of course Stroud goes on to be OROY.
I would love to see/hear breakdowns from a former MLB -- seems like the "QB of the Defense" would be a really source for breaking down what he's seeing from QBs. Can't think of any who are out there doing this off the top of my head, so I'm probably over-simplifying it, but would love to hear one/some if anybody's aware.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
I would love to see/hear breakdowns from a former MLB -- seems like the "QB of the Defense" would be a really source for breaking down what he's seeing from QBs. Can't think of any who are out there doing this off the top of my head, so I'm probably over-simplifying it, but would love to hear one/some if anybody's aware.
good point .. there is no former D player equivalent to Cooley/paulsen

Fred Smoot was more funny energy vs breakdowns and hes disappeared from local radio

Reactions: ynotcaps

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
good point .. there is no former D player equivalent to Cooley/paulsen

Fred Smoot was more funny energy vs breakdowns and hes disappeared from local radio
Yeah, I think the new regime is a little more attuned to the downside of giving airtime to folks in legal trouble -- or at least not wanting them out pimping the brand

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Seahawks cleaning house. Releasing everyone.

Adams, Diggs, Dissly

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Wait.

So because this guy (who I’ve never heard of, and I’ve followed ALL football for like 45yrs, but perhaps I missed him?) fits that “ex who is ex who is ex” criteria, he’s as good as the golden standard yup are quoting??

Well SHIT — I cannot believe that No One has signed him to be a coach or scout?? Shouldn’t he be — you know — in the game??

Edit — I looked at his career. Gets hurt a LOT, played a couple of meh seasons at Virginia. Didn’t get drafted. Signed on a slew of practice squads for around 4yrs.

Got activated w GB during COVID year, as people got sick. He came in for 2 plays and knelt down both times, and THAT was the extent of his “career”.

Back up my ass. He’s a nobody. I’d rather hear from known diva’s like RGMe than this dude.
Stop trying so hard to discredit….if you can’t watch that and see he really knows his shit….don’t like it, look at Warner or other analysis out there…

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Just listen to Nate Tice breakdown Maye with Craig Hoffman.

He digs into the All 22 and explains why Maye is the overwhelming favorite at 2. Spoilers: Mack Brown and the NC system blows and hangs QBs out to dry. He’s accurate over the middle whereas JD tends to be a 1 read and run Justin Fields clone.

Drake at 2 and run shit.

Also not reading this entire thread. Has anyone touched on the rumor that Peters spoke directly to Daniels before his final year season per Brandon Aiyuks connection and told him he’s a 5th round QB? If true extremely telling.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

He digs into the All 22 and explains why Maye is the overwhelming favorite at 2. Spoilers: Mack Brown and the NC system blows and hangs QBs out to dry. He’s accurate over the middle whereas JD tends to be a 1 read and run Justin Fields clone.

Drake at 2 and run shit.

Also not reading this entire thread. Has anyone touched on the rumor that Peters spoke directly to Daniels before his final year season per Brandon Aiyuks connection and told him he’s a 5th round QB? If true extremely telling.

Again this is easily provably false. Your bias is causing you to present your wishes as if they were facts.

As for the rumor on JD and Peters, the actual source was this: Eric Bickel of the Junkies son's friend in Illinois saw a text. I mean if that isn't a lock, then what is?

Plus, Daniels was universally projected as a day 3 pick last year, and now he's in the top 3 consideration, so Peters advice (if its even true) just made JD millions of dollars vs if he declared last year. He should be thanking Peters and sending him flowers.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

Drake at 2 and run shit.

I watched/listened to it. Not buying into it. (Note, I'm not shit-talking Nate Tice.)

Also, rumors of conversations held last year mean less than hard intel this spring. Hard intel -- of which we all have little to none at this stage.

Pro days and deeper interviews to follow. Which will be followed by even more rumors/smoke-screens/lies/guesses.

If he’s the guy, zero issue sitting a guy for a year….
100%. By design, one advantage to teams is the extra contract year on 1st-rounders. I can see forfeiting that advantage for a guy you're taking a first round flier on further down the round. Sure as hell not a top-3 pick.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Again this is easily provably false. Your bias is causing you to present your wishes as if they were facts.

As for the rumor on JD and Peters, the actual source was this: Eric Bickel of the Junkies son's friend in Illinois saw a text. I mean if that isn't a lock, then what is?

Plus, Daniels was universally projected as a day 3 pick last year, and now he's in the top 3 consideration, so Peters advice (if its even true) just made JD millions of dollars vs if he declared last year. He should be thanking Peters and sending him flowers.

What’s provably false? Is Tice lying? Maye isn’t better at anticipatory throws over the middle? He doesn’t have a wider range of throws available bc of his arm talent and physical ability to break tackles in the pocket?

I do have a bias towards a prototypical pocket passer with uncommon speed who is also taller, stronger, and younger than the other guy who throws a great shoulder fade and runs. Got me.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
What’s provably false? Is Tice lying? Maye isn’t better at anticipatory throws over the middle? He doesn’t have a wider range of throws available bc of his arm talent and physical ability to break tackles in the pocket?

I do have a bias towards a prototypical pocket passer with uncommon speed who is also taller, stronger, and younger than the other guy who throws a great shoulder fade and runs. Got me.
Pretty sure the reference was to the bolded part of the post.

Reactions: kicksavedave

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
If DM is the guy he definitely needs to sit a year and get all the mechanics sorted out. Mahomes sat out his first year and cleaned up the issues he had.

I do still lean to JD.

Last edited:
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I posted a video (the second of the Benkert videos posted, I wasn't the original source -- and this was the sum total of the response:
"If I wanted advice on kneeling the ball I'd ask Kurt Benkert"

No value, no argument (in the strictest sense, not emotional). I responded with facts and an opinion that former QBs might be better sources on QB play. Very simple logic and what should be a relatively non-controversial stance. You decided to pull a third-man in swinging sticks ascribing negative motives, and you're still doing it in your last post.

Settle down.

I like hearing QBs break down QBs. I like that Benkert referenced "my coaches would drill that in every QB meeting." I get that you and some other don't like Benkert. That's perfectly fine. I'm not trying to change your mind. But I hope you at least watched the videos to get the sense that he's actual critical of everyone -- QBs, receivers, OLs and coaching. Anyone who views it as a "hitjob" on one guy or another is reacting emotionally to this guy's breakdowns of full game films.

Which is their right. But it doesn't mean it's true.

Calmate, hombre.
The need to continually respond with snark and belittlements is as useful as the hyperbole you claim I am using.

Being “emotional” for any of these prospects is the job of their family, friends, and agents. I am none of those things.

Ergo, I am not emotionally invested. I have long stated that I don’t much care who the team picks, as I want to believe in the new brain trust, and assume that they will do the right thing.

Bark up a different tree, hombre.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
So, kinda like what happened w Sam Howell, in 2023?
Nah, the team quit on Howell and the season in November of '23, and the team totally imploded the last two months (apparently it started with that Thursday Night horror show against the Bears, but they still competed for a good month or more after that, it was only in the lead up to, and after the Cowboys game where they had 2 game plans every sunday: 1. Quit or 2. Choke, late.

I still believe Howell was pretty good last year, and was basically hosed by his coaches, his OL and some of his teammates giving up, I still think he can be good to average (topping out a top 10-15 QB), but that isn't good enough to pass on a QB when we lucked into slot 2 in what for me is a 3 stud class, w/two top end, really really big time studs.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I watched/listened to it. Not buying into it. (Note, I'm not shit-talking Nate Tice.)

Also, rumors of conversations held last year mean less than hard intel this spring. Hard intel -- of which we all have little to none at this stage.

Pro days and deeper interviews to follow. Which will be followed by even more rumors/smoke-screens/lies/guesses.

100%. By design, one advantage to teams is the extra contract year on 1st-rounders. I can see forfeiting that advantage for a guy you're taking a first round flier on further down the round. Sure as hell not a top-3 pick.
I don’t differentiate….if he’s #1 or #15….if putting them in the best position to succeed means a guy sits a year, then sit him.

Appreciate you taking the time from your busy posting schedule, to weigh in and tell me what to do.

Awfully sweet of you. I will try to return the favour down the line. :thumbu:
You’re trying hard, all I’m saying…..that is when you’re not slobbering on JJ. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad