OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
We get it bud. You are NOT on the Drake Maye train. Perhaps the leader of that movement?
I'm not anti Maye entirely, I just think JD is the better pro prospect all around If we go with Maye, I'll be excited to watch him and root for him to succeed.

My reasoning is that the knocks on Maye have epic bust potential to me - his accuracy just vanishes at times and he's not good under pressure - the film shows this. The knocks on JD are his age, but he's only about 15 months older than Maye, and his weight, but he's never missed a start in 55 games, so he's durable, at least in college. If Daniels were 220, no one would be concerned, but he can add that 10 lbs easily. He's added 35lbs since he was a freshman. His accuracy is the best in the draft, even under pressure.

Is just a preference for me. No hate at all.

He absolutely can.
I've seen no evidence of this on his film.

Reactions: ynotcaps

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
The knocks on JD are his age, but he's only about 15 months older than Maye

20 months. 620 days. There are various, valid concerns about that, but overall it's just perspective. Are you gaining 2 years with a QB that also seems more built for the NFL, or are you gaining a guy that's been idling at the college level, primed to take his talents to the NFL? It's arguable either way, but for Maye to be seen as the better prospect (on most boards) at 2 years younger is significant.

but he can add that 10 lbs easily.

No, this is not a given. Anyone can put on 10 pounds. It's how and where you put it on and how it affects you. Can you incorporate that weight into your game, or are you just slowing yourself down at the worst time possible? His legs are twigs. He has no calves. He looks like a bobblehead with his helmet on.

Saying he's durable because he didn't get hurt scampering around in college isn't really how durability works. What happens when he gets the shit kicked out of him? How will the twigs hold up when he tries to run out of an ankle tackle and the 2nd and 3rd guy hit him? Daniels has very concerning sack tendencies, and he's not built to absorb that kind of NFL punishment.

He might be fine and play for 20 years, and Maye might get decapitated on his third snap. But strictly in terms of body type, I want the guy that naturally filled out to 230, not the guy that's still trying to pack on extra weight his body doesn't want. He's a skinny, narrow dude. No shame in that. But you also can't wave it away as insignificant because he can eat some burgers this summer.

I like everything about Jayden Daniels except that. No, he's not RG3, but it feels like past is prologue. Maye's deficiencies can be addressed (if he has the humility) with coaching and the requisite time at Biometric. Apollo fixed Rocky's footwork in a single music montage. ;)

(Seriously though, our staff will take all this into consideration, so if they take JD I'm fully on board. Kid's legit. There's also the possibility that NE really wants Maye and we can get a little something extra for that...)

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
The DM versus JD debate is pretty torturous but I realize let it not be fear based. But I am supremely happy that I'm the one that is going to have to make the decision.

Block

Feb 14, 2005
Then you're not looking very hard or don't know what you're looking for. Does he have some tendencies that he's going to need to be coached out of? Sure. But saying he can't or hasn't thrown guys open, something I saw him do multiple times a game, every game, is insane.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I'm not anti Maye entirely, I just think JD is the better pro prospect all around If we go with Maye, I'll be excited to watch him and root for him to succeed.

My reasoning is that the knocks on Maye have epic bust potential to me - his accuracy just vanishes at times and he's not good under pressure - the film shows this. The knocks on JD are his age, but he's only about 15 months older than Maye, and his weight, but he's never missed a start in 55 games, so he's durable, at least in college. If Daniels were 220, no one would be concerned, but he can add that 10 lbs easily. He's added 35lbs since he was a freshman. His accuracy is the best in the draft, even under pressure.

Is just a preference for me. No hate at all.

His mechanics look absolutely dreamy to my uneducated football eye.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

“You would think they’re all competitive, right?” Longo exclaimed. “But I mean, this guy is obsessed with the game. He’s a junkie. He loves the X’s and O’s. He likes the process of preparing for an opponent.”

“Let me be clear: I’m not saying that (Maye is) Patrick Mahomes. I’m just saying that he does some similar things,” said Longo, referencing the three-time Super Bowl champion. “He can throw off-platform, extend plays with his legs. He can move laterally or vertically towards the line of scrimmage and make throws, contort his body, throw off balance and be accurate doing it. That gives him an opportunity to be a little creative.”

“Jayden set the standard that he holds everybody to,” LSU defensive lineman Jordan Jefferson said in Mobile. “He’s not a real vocal guy, but he sets the standard … for how we should play every day.”

“For Jefferson, Daniels’ “composure and how he is as a person” supercharged the award-winning season. “It was surreal,” Jefferson said of his front-row seat to Daniels’ season. “It was crazy watching him turn into (that) caliber of a player. We all knew he was that guy. To watch him tap into (that talent) was a great thing.”

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

1708549203393.png

1708549250043.png

You kind of feel for the guy. He hasn't really done anything wrong. He's not an asshole off the field afaik, and he was actually OK as a QB with only 40 games played. He's just 24 years old. There are far worse retreads who keep getting chances.

But that's the business, I guess. The Bears simply can't tip their hand and that means he's got to wait.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA

“You would think they’re all competitive, right?” Longo exclaimed. “But I mean, this guy is obsessed with the game. He’s a junkie. He loves the X’s and O’s. He likes the process of preparing for an opponent.”

“Let me be clear: I’m not saying that (Maye is) Patrick Mahomes. I’m just saying that he does some similar things,” said Longo, referencing the three-time Super Bowl champion. “He can throw off-platform, extend plays with his legs. He can move laterally or vertically towards the line of scrimmage and make throws, contort his body, throw off balance and be accurate doing it. That gives him an opportunity to be a little creative.”

“Jayden set the standard that he holds everybody to,” LSU defensive lineman Jordan Jefferson said in Mobile. “He’s not a real vocal guy, but he sets the standard … for how we should play every day.”

“For Jefferson, Daniels’ “composure and how he is as a person” supercharged the award-winning season. “It was surreal,” Jefferson said of his front-row seat to Daniels’ season. “It was crazy watching him turn into (that) caliber of a player. We all knew he was that guy. To watch him tap into (that talent) was a great thing.”
I said it once and I'll say it again. Drake Maye is Josh Allen with a dash of Mahomes. I think the left handed TD throw against Pitt perfectly showcases this. So many other plays to point to it too but this one in particular is when the national media started comparing his play style to Mahomes during broadcasts on a weekly basis.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

View attachment 823364

View attachment 823365

You kind of feel for the guy. He hasn't really done anything wrong. He's not an asshole off the field afaik, and he was actually OK as a QB with only 40 games played. He's just 24 years old. There are far worse retreads who keep getting chances.

But that's the business, I guess. The Bears simply can't tip their hand and that means he's got to wait.

I think Fields may make someone a very nice consolation prize. Probably a 2nd gets it done?
Yea, he’s basically a victim of circumstances in Chicago (much like Howell likely will be in DC).

Rotating cast of coaches and questionable management has stalled his development. He’s basically a good runner with a decent deep ball - but that’s kinda it.

Sounds like PIT or ATL are likely landing spots. I did read (somewhere) that a 2nd + a conditional 2nd/3rd would likely be the compensation. But, given his age, physical tools, and positional scarcity, maybe a bidding war happens. I bet it gets done at the combine.

Reactions: Neil Racki

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
They literally cannot lose JD and DM are both solid 2nd picks

DM gets a slight edge for having run air raid before but you can't really lose with either. Just don't trade up.

You get CW but then you risk losing picks which you could use to build around DM.

Reactions: ynotcaps

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
Lynn sounded good in a G&D radio interview

The honeymoon stage of being a Skins fan, full of hope and "these guys sound different!"
ashburn syndrome is strong

somehow this actually seems different with a full offseason of harris ownership. and we haven't even seen the draft and FA yet.

I remember last season I was all in on the offseason too, national media kept downplaying Washington, we had EB and EB was yelling at the offense and the players were fine with it

Then the season started :laugh:

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Lynn sounded good in a G&D radio interview

The honeymoon stage of being a Skins fan, full of hope and "these guys sound different!"
Lynn was a HC in the NFL and had a winning record. Now he's just our RBs coach. We have a ton of experience and talent in this coaching staff. Word on the street is, lots of people wanted to come work with Dan Quinn.

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
I remember last season I was all in on the offseason too, national media kept downplaying Washington, we had EB and EB was yelling at the offense and the players were fine with it
I remember players complaining about how demanding Bieniemy was and Rivera having to address it with the media and have his back. So I don’t see them as being fine with it. I see it as them getting over it after Rivera made it clear he wasn’t going to ask Bieniemy to rein it in.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Listening and reading to Commanders fans in droves talk about trading out of the 2 spot and taking an OL has renewed my belief that they’re the dumbest f***ing group of fans in the NFL.

How did it get this way? Years of losing? DC public schooling? A general dicklessness that comes with being a lifelong bureaucrat?

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Listening and reading to Commanders fans in droves talk about trading out of the 2 spot and taking an OL has renewed my belief that they’re the dumbest f***ing group of fans in the NFL.

How did it get this way? Years of losing? DC public schooling? A general dicklessness that comes with being a lifelong bureaucrat?
Even with high QB picks its still just a gamble that they'll pan out. So I think some of those fans are more just lets fill in some holes in the roster and maybe draft another developmental QB in the later rounds and keep on keeping on with Howell in the mean time.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

It's the same unearned false confidence that allows many perpetually cranky sports fans to constantly overthink things and claim they know better than the front office.

:sarcasm:

Reactions: kicksavedave

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The DM versus JD debate is pretty torturous but I realize let it not be fear based. But I am supremely happy that I'm the one that is going to have to make the decision.
With Maye vs Daniels, it's more about the experience up to this point. Daniels was in college for 5 years, starting as a true freshman, so really 4.5 years as a starter, thus 55 college starts. He would have challenged Nix for most career starts had the Pac12 not shutdown for Covid and limited to 6 games.

Maye, redshirted behind Sam Howell, who was a 2 year returning starter at NC. So, no issues there. Thus, Maye only has 26 starts under his belt.

What Maye did at the same age/college career is more comparable to Daniels career at ASU where he had 29 starts in his first 3 years in college. Extra experience that Daniels has was from his SR and Super SR seasons at LSU.

So, based on that extra experience, Daniels is more ready to play now and should be better off the hop. But, with time, can Maye make up that difference? Who has the higher probability of hitting their ceiling?

Quinn is the HC, so he's got to be comfortable with the QB.

Reactions: kicksavedave

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Maybe some people are old enough to remember when a HoF offensive line ( 🐷) helped three different journeyman QBs win Super Bowls for the Redskins.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

I really don’t care what they do. As long as it’s the new front office making a decision that *does not waste assets*, I’m good with whatever.

It’s a pretty long road back to actual/true respectability for this franchise, so as long as I can see the logic in their moves…..and they don’t overspend stupidly (be it draft capital and/or money), then I truly don’t care.

Sure, I’ve got a few caveats for my “don’t care”, but they aren’t large stones to move.

Just be smart and show your capabilities and talent. Shouldn’t be much to ask, but this is the Skins we are talking about. That’s been impossible for most of 25yrs now….

🤦🏿‍♀️🤦🏿‍♀️
🤷🏿‍♀️🤷🏿‍♀️

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad