OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
JD has NFL level ability to read defenses, make good decisions and manipulate DBs to open windows. The scouting report highlights this. JD dedicated himself to film study last year and it showed - He was the only one of the top 3 QBs who actually improved from 2022 to 2023. JD's arm isn't all world strong, but he's certainly strong armed enough to make all the throws he needs to. And I'd say his overall accuracy is superior to Maye's by a significant amount. Lastly its apparent when you watch a lot of his whole games that, when he's under pressure, JD handles it well and makes good reads and decisions, whereas Maye really starts to break down and make mistakes, force the ball, and throw errantly. Just my $.02 comparing the two players.
I hate to say this because it seems easy/trite, but under pressure it seems like DM turns into SH (except better when he does decide to pull it down and run.)

Reactions: kicksavedave

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I hate to say this because it seems easy/trite, but under pressure it seems like DM turns into SH (except better when he does decide to pull it down and run.)
There are two things that could be at play here. One is, DM lost his OC and learned a new offense his senior year, which means his comfort level may not have been very high. That could lead to his regression. But also, there are good stories out there about how Daniels completely dedicated himself to improving, through film study and extra work, last summer and it showed in his massive step up this year. But yeah, DM made some real head scratcher throws this year, and JD was as mistake free as any QB ever. It shows in the analytics, which shows JD at almost half the "Turnover Worthy Plays %" vs Maye.

Reactions: ynotcaps

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
In layman’s terms….does that mean “hold my beer while I make the important decisions”, in regards to the Martys?

It definitely appears both Marty's have been demoted, but not fired yet. Perhaps AP wants to see what they are really made of when it comes to the draft and free agency. Maybe they were held back by the Sargent At Arms, Ron Rivera?

Reactions: ynotcaps

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Yeah, as an LSU fan, I've been pretty plugged in to the JD stuff. I also really liked what Kelly had to say about how Daniels went into last offseason knowing that they wanted him to add 10 pounds of "good weight" and he zeroed in and did. He went from a softer coach in Herm Edwards to a screamer in Kelly and not only embraced it, excelled.

That ability to accept coaching is a great thing -- not saying that's not the case for the other 2, honestly don't know, but it's a definite checkbox for Daniels.

Reactions: kicksavedave

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
Love what Peters and Quinn are doing with the staff. Refreshing to see highly coveted candidates want to come here now.

I’m out on Daniels. My heart cannot take another slim, mobile QB who shows no fear when it comes to getting annihilated by large men trying to hurt him. If we draft him of course I’ll talk myself into liking him but I’d much rather they go with a guy built like Josh Allen.

Last edited:

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Love what Peters and Quinn are doing with the staff. Refreshing to see highly coveted candidates want to come here now.

I’m out on Daniels. My heart cannot take another slim, mobile QB who shows no fear when it comes to getting annihilated by large men trying to hurt him. If we draft him of course I’ll take myself into liking him but I’d much rather they go with a guy built like Josh Allen.
Agreed re: the staff. As much as it felt like we were stuck in the mud in terms of getting the HC settled, they are -- on paper, at least -- putting together one hell of an operation.

Anyone know where I can place a large bet that none of these guys has been plucked from a retirement home bingo game?

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
They've gathered so many experienced people in such a short time it feels like the "crew assembly" scene in a heist movie. Some of these guys were in pretty comfortable spots, including potential to move up a little, and got offered a role either equal to (or even lesser?) than what they're doing in a risky new job and gone... "I can't say no to you, let's do the impossible"

Kind of interesting to keep an eye on.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
They've gathered so many experienced people in such a short time it feels like the "crew assembly" scene in a heist movie. Some of these guys were in pretty comfortable spots, including potential to move up a little, and got offered a role either equal to (or even lesser?) than what they're doing in a risky new job and gone... "I can't say no to you, let's do the impossible"

I’d wager they did NOT take pay cuts to either move laterally (or down in responsibility). I’d wager every single one of them got a raise. Some probably huge (Klingsbury)

kicksavedave

Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Live look in at the first coaching staff meeting in DC.

thumbnail-Screen-and-Sound2.jpg

Last edited:

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I’d wager they did NOT take pay cuts to either move laterally (or down in responsibility). I’d wager every single one of them got a raise. Some probably huge (Klingsbury)
Well yeah, you don't get involved in a heist to make less money...

But that's a good amount of buy-in by some guys with resumes to come to what has been one of the league's hottest, brightest, and most beautiful tire fires for a good while. I think some of these guys, between the ones who followed Quinn instead of trying to ride up the chain in the vacuum he created and the 49ers guys who could have parlayed success into better roles are interesting, as is Kingsbury taking on an OC role as maybe the best available guy left to take on and develop a high caliber quarterback

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
JD has NFL level ability to read defenses, make good decisions and manipulate DBs to open windows. The scouting report highlights this. JD dedicated himself to film study last year and it showed - He was the only one of the top 3 QBs who actually improved from 2022 to 2023. JD's arm isn't all world strong, but he's certainly strong armed enough to make all the throws he needs to. And I'd say his overall accuracy is superior to Maye's by a significant amount. Lastly its apparent when you watch a lot of his whole games that, when he's under pressure, JD handles it well and makes good reads and decisions, whereas Maye really starts to break down and make mistakes, force the ball, and throw errantly. Just my $.02 comparing the two players.

I was on the Maye hype wagon after my initial review, but honestly it’s watching the full game clips that has me seeing the buzz more and more on Daniels. It’s not from these dissenting hot takes and film reviews by pundits/nerds either.

Daniels handles pressure really well, especially in later game scenarios. He also protects the football. It pairs really nicely with his elite running trait.

I would totally understand the thinking if it’s Daniels over Maye in the end. At the end of the day I like both prospects, and am super curious to see who we go with.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
OK, but you're projecting what Maye would do with those receivers

Or looking at the pretty damn good results he got without receivers of that caliber, and not forgetting what he did the year before with better options and a more fitting offense?

I'm already over the whole 'historic' haul of draft picks nonsense from the Bears.

Yeah, all I know is that I don't want a Commanders logo anywhere near that page of that history book.

other than johnson the OL coach

Look at his whole CV and you might give him a pass for his time with the Giants. And if you dissect his time there, he did find some ways to make the most out of a bad situation. Coaching can only overcome so much.

Kingsbury is the question mark for me, but Quinn made a point of saying he wanted someone who gave him fits playing against them as a defensive coordinator. That's encouraging, I suppose.

We might be about to pick one of the top RBs in the 2nd

Don't we like Robinson and Rodriguez? We don't have enough picks to get new toys for every new coach cuz we just hired like 37 coaches.

Damn. It’s an all star coaching staff. That’s for damned sure.

Only thing that concerns me — it’s seems kinda “Snydery”.

It'd be Snydery if we were just bringing in big names with no thought on how they'd fit together or work with our roster. I'm assuming they're having conversations with these guys -- or already know them well enough -- to be excited about that fit and the plenty of time they have to get on the same page.

Ugh, listen to me. I'm drinking the Kool Aid, aren't I?

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
You might, just might want to consider that JD is going to come out of this entire process as the #2. Will you still blame the media then?

I’d have to trust Peters and Co. if they made that ranking decision.
I'd be surprised if he did but I guess there's a chance. I mean going into Dewayne Haskins draft he was wildly considered the top QB available until people met him and got eyes on him out of Ohio states system. I think there's a more likely chance Maye challenges CW after interviews. He's a leader, extremely intelligent and will likely interview off the charts. Plus you often find teams hesitant on older five year college starters. I constantly see people reference Joe Burrows when this is brought up but Joe only started two seasons despite his age.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
the historic offers the Bears want make me feel it's a smokescreen to try to drive up the price and see if us or the Pats bite since if they wanted to move on from Fields they wouldn't even be talking about being open to offers

i think the guy they want is MHjr and are hoping us or the Pats trade up . if i'm Peters i sit tight since i believe there's a good chance the Bears don't trade down and we get first crack at the QB's

Reactions: Ridley Simon

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
the historic offers the Bears want make me feel it's a smokescreen to try to drive up the price and see if us or the Pats bite since if they wanted to move on from Fields they wouldn't even be talking about being open to offers

i think the guy they want is MHjr and are hoping us or the Pats trade up . if i'm Peters i sit tight since i believe there's a good chance the Bears don't trade down and we get first crack at the QB's
I think Maye is a lot closer to Williams than analysts are saying.

The likelihood of Caleb being Mahomes is extremely low. The likelihood that he’ll be a Top 10 QB is fair. Maye isn’t far off of that if he hits.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I think Maye is a lot closer to Williams than analysts are saying.

The likelihood of Caleb being Mahomes is extremely low. The likelihood that he’ll be a Top 10 QB is fair. Maye isn’t far off of that if he hits.
Maye is my top choice , he's got the arm to go with the size and he looks like the guy who'll run your offense instead of just improvising all the time. Not interested in Daniels at all . waiting to make huge strides in his 5th is a red flag for me.

CW won't become Mahomes who's well on his way to becoming one of the all time greats . he may prove to be the great QB and the best of his class but the Mahomes talk is absurd.

Reactions: Holtbyisms

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad