OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Sorry for the complete aside, but watching UCL and just heard something you never want to hear an announcer say at a sporting event: "I've been asked to stop jumping up and down; they're concerned about the structural integrity and the vibrations here, they're undertaking some tests."

Ummm...

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Sorry for the complete aside, but watching UCL and just heard something you never want to hear an announcer say at a sporting event: "I've been asked to stop jumping up and down; they're concerned about the structural integrity and the vibrations here, they're undertaking some tests."

Ummm...
Pretty crazy….I lol‘ed when I heard that….

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
I heard Hasselbeck reiterate this opinion, last week, that Maye is the “best prospect he’s seen in his 15 years at ESPN.”

Interesting that when this was filmed (early Nov?) Penix was QB3 and JD not even mentioned. Just shows how much of a late riser Daniels has been.
Im interested in Hearing what Chris Simms has to say about this years class, he nailed Stroud a year ago as did Merril Hoge. Hoge is already on record stating "CW is nothing special"

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
I watched both videos and the evaluations seem fair. That guy definitely prefers Daniels and has a lot of warnings about Maye, but overall he said Maye's shortcomings were all pretty much identical to the concerns surrounding Josh Allen coming out of college.

If Maye is willing to do the work Allen did, there's no reason he can't mature at the NFL level. With the concern about his line and receiving talent, the results he came away with are solid. He had to adapt and overcome (and I think I heard there was also a new offense in the midst of all that), so that bodes well for his willingness and ability to do that.

There's still questions about whether (or how well) he's reading defenses though. He's intelligent enough for it for sure, but if he hasn't started doing it by now -- honing ability into instinct -- that might be a real hurdle for him at the next level.

The more I watch, the more excited I am about him, despite these particular videos preferring someone else.

Anyway, Allen talks about the Biometric process he went through starting around 1:35 in this interview. If Maye comes at his development with similar humility and intelligence, he might be a steal...

Reactions: usiel

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
DJ makes an interesting point re: Hoge saying he hasn't seen enough of Fields yet (39 starts) to know whether he's the guy or not, but he's decided that CW isn't by looking at 3 games last year and 3 games this year.

***dammit, why can't his just be easy!
Fields has had what like three different OCs? Will take some serious stones by the Bears GM to stick with Fields and draft MHJ since if that doesn't pan out fairly quickly get walking papers versus starting up with a rookie QB which will more than likely take a few years to see if it pans out.

As far as the agonizing QB choice it is still pretty fun with a non-truly competitive Caps team.

Wait till the Combine that will be really the next QB kabuki dance begins.

Reactions: ynotcaps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I just cannot get worked up over whomever they take.

At this juncture, they need to fill SO many holes, that I simply do NOT want to mortgage more futures for yet another question mark.

Gonna allow Peter’s to do his work, and the chips fall where they may.

I think I’m more a Maye guy than either Williams or Daniels (and that’s only bc Williams will cost too much capital).

I will be excited and happy with any of them, no matter what happens. And that includes trading down and taking a McCarthy or Penix/Nix later on.

Reactions: usiel

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

At this juncture, they need to fill SO many holes, that I simply do NOT want to mortgage more futures for yet another question mark.

I think I’m more a Maye guy than either Williams or Daniels (and that’s only bc Williams will cost too much capital).

I will be excited and happy with any of them, no matter what happens. And that includes trading down and taking a McCarthy or Penix/Nix later on.
Bolded is about exactly where I'm at. I still go back and forth between Maye and Daniels since there is a long time to go yet. That dual threat ability of Daniels is ridiculous tempting.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

How can you NOT get worked up? It’s the singular most important draft pick in a decade, some would say ever.….nobody wants a question mark, but they all are until they aren’t. The other holes don’t matter until you fill the most important one.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
How can you NOT get worked up? It’s the singular most important draft pick in a decade, some would say ever.….nobody wants a question mark, but they all are until they aren’t. The other holes don’t matter until you fill the most important one.
I’m not sure I’m quite that dramatic about it (tho I get where you’re coming from). But, I’m so sick of this never-ending search for a franchise QB. Like since Rypien or even back to Joey T.

I just want a marquee QB to watch and root for on a weekly basis. Is that so much to ask?! lol Against my better football judgment, the rest of the team is a big, fat “whatever” at this point. Enough with the carousel! LOL

At least researching the 3 QBs has been a fun distraction during this boring Caps season.

Last edited:

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Because I don’t know shit. I can watch a few videos and listen to some talking heads but in the end, they will all have people praising them, and criticizing them. My opinion doesn’t matter.

I WILL get worked up if they make a dumb trade and somehow mortgage the future (which they don’t have much of a future to mortage…they ain’t a “have” in the NFL) over a “guess” at the draft.

But that’s the only thing that works me up.

I’m supposed to stand on some hill and proclaim Williams is better than Maye + lots of lost capital or than Daniel’s + lots of lost capital…..or vice versa? I have no idea.

If guess if they make a dumb move (like take McCarthy at 2 or Bowers or someone like that), then I will get worked up. But I certainly don’t expect that.

But between the three QB’s? 🙈🤷🏿‍♀️

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Because I don’t know shit. I can watch a few videos and listen to some talking heads but in the end, they will all have people praising them, and criticizing them. My opinion doesn’t matter.

I WILL get worked up if they make a dumb trade and somehow mortgage the future (which they don’t have much of a future to mortage…they ain’t a “have” in the NFL) over a “guess” at the draft.

But that’s the only thing that works me up.

I’m supposed to stand on some hill and proclaim Williams is better than Maye + lots of lost capital or than Daniel’s + lots of lost capital…..or vice versa? I have no idea.

If guess if they make a dumb move (like take McCarthy at 2 or Bowers or someone like that), then I will get worked up. But I certainly don’t expect that.

But between the three QB’s? 🙈🤷🏿‍♀️
Yea, but that’s the beauty of QB evaluation. No one, including the “experts”, knows a damn thing. So take your shot!

I expect in about a month, everyone here will have picked their favorite. From there, we’ll all just dig in, and tear each other to shreds, lol. The NFL Draft, it’s fantastic!

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
I was listening to this even more today he’s been such a USC homer for him to flip it means a lot
My retort would be that Mahomes was frenetic and wild when he was at Texas Tech - and had a sub .500 record. No one was sure he could fix his mechanics, and play within NFL structure (hence why he went 10th).

So, I think it’s a little unfair to compare CW, the prospect, to who Mahomes is now. And really no one should be compared to Mahomes anyways. CW had to play hero ball to overcome his terrible D, and give USC a chance to win. Ultimately, no one really knows how CW will adapt to the NFL. It’s the hardest thing in sports to project.

Reactions: ynotcaps and usiel

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
New realization. If Maye had Nabers and B. Thomas instead of the inconsistent Dez as receivers. If they go with a QB it needs to be Maye. Told myself I would hold off but until the combine this is my take for now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad