OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
It doesn't seem like it affected the outcome of the game. If they thought the rules were the same as regular season they would've known the Chefs get the ball after the SF FG.

Was there something more to it?
For me, it was for pointspread to know if you want to get the the -6 or -7 if they kick an extra point or not.

Monday morning quarterback is they shouldn’t have taken the ball first but you always take the ball first and overtime right? Playoff overtime is pretty much just another quarter.

It’s like in the World Cup soccer you think it’s instant death, but they keep playing after they score and you sometimes lose

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
For me, it was for pointspread to know if you want to get the the -6 or -7 if they kick an extra point or not.

Monday morning quarterback is they shouldn’t have taken the ball first but you always take the ball first and overtime right? Playoff overtime is pretty much just another quarter.

It’s like in the World Cup soccer you think it’s instant death, but they keep playing after they score and you sometimes lose
With new playoff OT rules, 100% you want the ball second. I can kind of sympathize with the idea that the defense was tired. But the other rationale I've seen is you want the ball on drive #3 if it goes to sudden death, but there's no guarantee the game ever gets that far (and it didn't.) We know the first two possessions will occur, so you should go with what gives you the best shot in those, and that's deferring.

Chiefs score a TD and you match, it opens up the option to end the game right there by going for two.

Reactions: ynotcaps

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
To what degree?
They didn’t know both teams got the ball regardless of the 1st scoring method (TD vs FG). Thought that they could score a TD and it was done, like the regular season.

Some possibly strategy in play. Should they have deferred, etc….Chiefs on the other hand were already prepared to go for two for the win had the 9ers scored a TD and the Chiefs had answered with their own.

Niners coach Kyle Shanahan said he and his analytics staff discussed overtime possibilities before the game, but Armstead and fullback Kyle Juszczyk both said that overtime strategy was not discussed with 49ers players leading up to the Super Bowl.

"You know what? I didn't even realize the playoff rules were different in overtime," Juszczyk said. "I assume you just want the ball to score a touchdown and win.

"I guess that's not the case. I don't totally know the strategy there. We hadn't talked about it, no."

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Schefter on McAfee saying EB was quietly in play for several OC roles (Seattle one). Will take his time to decide what he wants to do whether it’s take an AHC role or advisor role, or take a year off.

EB has been back in KC since right before the Ravens game. Mahomes mentioned his energy had been missing in the room. Sort of an unofficial advisor the last few weeks.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

This all looked like good news until I read that this is the same Bobby Johnson who coached the Giants OL the last two years. If there was any OL worse than ours, it was the Giants. They gave up a shocking 85 sacks last year, which is a shocking 20 more than we gave up, which was shocking all on its own. I'm shocked by all this, shocked I tell you.

1707762589261.png

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Pretty blah 1st half, turned into a great game in the second & OT. The best thing about next year's SB? No Tony Romo. "This is for the SUPER BOWL!" Loses something when you first say it in the 3rd quarter, and say it 4 or 5 more times after.

If I had had to take a shot every time I said "Shut the **** up, Tony Romo!" they'd have had to pump my stomach.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida

That was not a great moment for Kelce. He seems like a fun dude, but he's a fraction of the man his brother is. I want a guy to be up for the game and passionate, but in that moment you've got a guy who is a very important part of your offense coming off the field feeling guilty as hell, and instead of supporting him to help keep his head on straight, you're parading up and down the sideline making it clear that you think, "That stupid shit wouldn't happen if *I* was on the field!!"

You're embarrassing yourself, your coach, and your team. Dude's a bit of a me-first bitch...

If I had had to take a shot every time I said "Shut the **** up, Tony Romo!" they'd have had to pump my stomach.

Preach. His call was especially terrible in the first half. Something's off with Mahomes, with this receiver, with the offensive playcalling, blah blah blah. It's NEVER the fact that both of those defenses played really great early. The D gets zero credit; something must be wrong with the offense.

In a world where Olsen's apparently getting replaced (?!), the fact that Romo has a job at all is surprising.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
You know what, just full send it and give the bears their package for williams

Bears get: the #2 pick
Allen (Allen’s contract is more cap friendly and he seems more disgruntled so I’m assuming it’s him. That shores up bears biggest need on defense.)
3rd rounder
2025 1st

Last edited:

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org

Allen (Allen’s contract is more cap friendly and he seems more disgruntled so I’m assuming it’s him. That shores up bears biggest need on defense.)
3rd rounder
2025 1st

I would only consider this if there weren't two other highly rated QBs available to choose from at 2. In that case I'd say go for it. But I am happy to sit back and take the higher of the two that are left, be it Maye or Daniels, at 2.

hockeykicker

Global Moderator
Dec 3, 2014
This all looked like good news until I read that this is the same Bobby Johnson who coached the Giants OL the last two years. If there was any OL worse than ours, it was the Giants. They gave up a shocking 85 sacks last year, which is a shocking 20 more than we gave up, which was shocking all on its own. I'm shocked by all this, shocked I tell you.

View attachment 818419

but then you look at the previous years when his offense line was top 3 with the bills

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

3rd rounder
2025 1st
Yeah, I can’t get into this. It’s 2 additional firsts and a 3rd to move up one slot?

Eff that.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

seems like everyone they bringing in is a former coordinator

Holy schneikies, they're hiring an all-star team of coordinators. Hopefully the sum is greater than the whole of parts, which isn't always the case. Under a seasoned pro like Quinn, there's a better chance of that than if it were a first-timer who might get swamped by all that experience.

I really liked Norton as a DC.

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Yeah, I can’t get into this. It’s 2 additional firsts and a 3rd to move up one slot?

Eff that.
Agreed, that would set us back years...we were fortunate to have Cousins when RG3 trade didn't work out. No cousins and we would have been in a really bad situation after that trade. Wether you're a Maye guy or a Daniels guy nobody should be able to get behind this.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
Any trade built around 2 firsts and change is totally fine by me if they like Williams that much more. It’s totally worth it if we actually nail it. I mean where would we be without one of Davis/Dotson/Sweat/Forbes/Young? Would rather they like both Maye and Daniels and take a little extra to swap with Pats if they have a strong preference. But if Williams is your guy, you pay the price and go for it.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad