OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Pretty blah 1st half, turned into a great game in the second & OT. The best thing about next year's SB? No Tony Romo. "This is for the SUPER BOWL!" Loses something when you first say it in the 3rd quarter, and say it 4 or 5 more times after.

If I had had to take a shot every time I said "Shut the **** up, Tony Romo!" they'd have had to pump my stomach.
I completely agree Romo's performance was like soggy cereal.

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
I get that WR isn’t a pressing issue and there will be other very good players on the board, but Ladd McConkey out of Georgia is going to make some team reallllll happy in the late 1st or 2nd.
Would love to get a big receiver that has some good YAC ability. Probably not in the cards in this years draft unless they decide to go MHJ.

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Would love to get a big receiver that has some good YAC ability. Probably not in the cards in this years draft unless they decide to go MHJ.
The FA class is pretty good. But im not sure we want 2 20m WRs with Terry getting that big raise.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
Any trade built around 2 firsts and change is totally fine by me if they like Williams that much more. It’s totally worth it if we actually nail it. I mean where would we be without one of Davis/Dotson/Sweat/Forbes/Young? Would rather they like both Maye and Daniels and take a little extra to swap with Pats if they have a strong preference. But if Williams is your guy, you pay the price and go for it.
I hear you ripened fruit. And I get it.

However, the brain trust didn’t draft those last 5 1st rounders (So FAR) only Sweat was a good pick. Everyone else IS a flop, or looks to be their way as one.

Add to that, said new brain trust must like Williams better than Maye, an all-pro (who isn’t yet old, at all), another first that’s prob in the top half of the draft, and an early 3rd…..all put together.

That’s a very large spread. I for one just don’t see it. We cannot compare Williams to Mahomes just, well…..”because”. Chances of Williams becoming one of five QB’s to win 3 bowls (or #6th) are very very faint.

So your original conclusion of Mahomes validating getting top QB now instead of playing the field, is kind of illusionary. Said Top QB could easily be another tier down, and all of those guys were all also in the Maye/Daniels draft selection groupings. Yes?

Honest Q. When was the last time a “traded for 1OA QB” did anything? Eli?

Last edited:

usiel

Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Agreed, that would set us back years...we were fortunate to have Cousins when RG3 trade didn't work out. No cousins and we would have been in a really bad situation after that trade. Wether you're a Maye guy or a Daniels guy nobody should be able to get behind this.
I don’t think it would. We have howell who plenty are fine with starting next year and possibly longer.
I hope that’s not the move but he’s not a bad backup option.

The picks are being overvalued here as they usually are, especially when you have a chance at a generational prospect. Who are they gonna take in the first next year or beyond that’s this big of a potential game changer? That first next year could easily be in the 15-20 range again. Another piss poor DB or WR that we don’t need. I wish to hell they couldve found a way to trade up for burrow in 2020 instead of taking young. Go for the home run while you still can.

Last edited:

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
I don’t think it would. We have howell who plenty are fine with starting next year and possibly longer.
I hope that’s not the move but he’s not a bad backup option.

The picks are being overvalued here as they usually are, especially when you have a chance at a generational prospect. Who are they gonna take in the first next year or beyond that’s this big of a potential game changer? That first next year could easily be in the 15-20 range again. Another piss poor DB or WR that we don’t need. I wish to hell they couldve found a way to trade up for burrow in 2020 instead of taking young. Go for the home run while you still can.
Top rated QB next year is Deion Sanders kid and he would be ratted alot lower then alot of the 1st round QBs this year. He was pretty bad vs teams that had even a few 4 star players.

If we hired Kliff to develop Caleb then we might have to pay the ransom

Reactions: Roric

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
If we hired Kliff to develop Caleb then we might have to pay the ransom

The KK+CW thing gets a lot of juice online and with the talking heads, but Maye actually ran the Air Raid system at UNC that KK is installing here, so there's a natural fit there as well.

Phil Longo was Maye's OC last year at UNC (2022) and he ran the Air Raid that both he and KK learned from Mike Leach at TCU. Funny thing is, Longo left UNC to go to Wisconsin for 2023, where they are now calling it the Dairy Raid 😂. Maye regressed running a different offense than the Air Raid this year with a new OC.

Last edited:

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
With the upcoming 4 wide receiver sets we'll need more especially if Samuels leaves.

Brandon Aiyuk is on an expiring deal @ 14M next year. SF might not be able to keep him long term with Deebo making ~ 20M/yr. Plus Jennings needs a new deal this offseason, and Purdy will soon be taking up a huge percentage of their cap.

So maybe Aiyuk could be had in a trade a la A.J. Brown, or T. Hill.

The fun angle here is that Jayden Daniels balled out with Aiyuk back at ASU.

Reactions: usiel

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Looks like we're not trading up for CW, so it will be a choice between Maye and Daniels. Daniels profile is above (thanks @usiel ), Maye's is below. Same guy, from Tank Sports. I like his reviews, they seem pretty objective and show the good and the bad.

Who would this guy pick between the two?

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Wow, really thought peters would want to put his stamp on the franchise and get aggressive with a big splash, especially after johnson spurned them at the last minute. Still, schefter could be wrong

Guess we'll have to go with maye and maybe hit .500 or daniels and hope he doesnt land on IR within the first few games. Or we could trade down, get mccarthy and watch another fun season of howell again

Kazer

Jun 20, 2009
Maryland, US
Wow, really thought peters would want to put his stamp on the franchise and get aggressive with a big splash, especially after johnson spurned them at the last minute. Still, schefter could be wrong

Guess we'll have to go with maye and maybe hit .500 or daniels and hope he doesnt land on IR within the first few games. Or we could trade down, get mccarthy and watch another fun season of howell again
If Bears are demanding an RG3 (3 firsts and a second) trade, then Peters is right to say no. This could also be a ploy to try and lower the price to something more palatable.

Assuming Williams goes through the process as the top of their board, I would do 2 and 36 (with maybe an additional later round pick thrown in) for 1. To me, anything more than that is too much. I'd rather just sit at 2 or trade back. This isn't a situation where the team is trading up a bunch of spots. The #2 overall pick has a ton of value, and Harrison Jr. has a ton of value paired with Fields.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
If Bears are demanding an RG3 (3 firsts and a second) trade, then Peters is right to say no. This could also be a ploy to try and lower the price to something more palatable.

Assuming Williams goes through the process as the top of their board, I would do 2 and 36 (with maybe an additional later round pick thrown in) for 1. To me, anything more than that is too much. I'd rather just sit at 2 or trade back. This isn't a situation where the team is trading up a bunch of spots. The #2 overall pick has a ton of value, and Harrison Jr. has a ton of value paired with Fields.
Lowering the price is a possibility, and if that were to work you jump all over it. I just don't believe that they completely refuse to trade the pick by putting out some outrageous price that can't be budged on. As we get closer to the draft if no one's biting they will lower their demands. I know they're only moving up one spot but it's not like caleb is the only QB of interest in this draft. Bears may be fine with getting a few extra picks, grabbing daniels, and moving from there. I hope daniels/maye keep getting hyped up for this reason. Plus the extra pick(s) they get from trading fields

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

I heard Hasselbeck reiterate this opinion, last week, that Maye is the “best prospect he’s seen in his 15 years at ESPN.”

Interesting that when this was filmed (early Nov?) Penix was QB3 and JD not even mentioned. Just shows how much of a late riser Daniels has been.

Reactions: Ridley Simon

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Looks like we're not trading up for CW, so it will be a choice between Maye and Daniels. Daniels profile is above (thanks @usiel ), Maye's is below. Same guy, from Tank Sports. I like his reviews, they seem pretty objective and show the good and the bad.

On JD: "He reminds me of Jalen Hurts -- but a Jalen Hurts that can actually read the defense... And, honestly, I think his upside is way higher. Looking at all the teams after the Bears, (names 6 or 7 top 15 teams), they should be whatever they can to get in position to draft him, or hope he falls to them."

ON DM he does 10 solid minutes of negatives and wraps with: "Maye has all the most tools of any QB in the class that would make him a franchise superstar in the NFL, but he carries the bad habits of a disappointing 1st round QB. A team that takes Maye as the first or second QB taken is taking a bigger risk, that I wouldn't be surprised if it worked out, if he becomes a superstar QB, but I also wouldn't be shocked if the team that takes Maye, in 3 years, is looking for a new QB to replace him."

The knock on both of them is "consistent accuracy," which is pretty universal for the position, but the downside analysis is much longer and harsher on DM than on JD.

Reactions: kicksavedave

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
I heard Hasselbeck reiterate this opinion, last week, that Maye is the “best prospect he’s seen in his 15 years at ESPN.”

Interesting that when this was filmed (early Nov?) Penix was QB3 and JD not even mentioned. Just shows how much of a late riser Daniels has been.
And how consistent Maye has been. I feel the same way as TH. I think when it all shakes out a few years from now Drake Maye will be the top QB from this bunch.

Reactions: TCB

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

Guess we'll have to go with maye and maybe hit .500 or daniels and hope he doesn't land on IR within the first few games. Or we could trade down, get mccarthy and watch another fun season of howell again
Devil's advocate, the big splash could be nailing 5 top 100 picks to restock a team that's full of holes. The DET draft class last year was a massive score, even with their 2 first rounders getting panned at the time. If we could get starters or at least major rotational pieces with our first 4 picks (like they did), that would be a massive improvement over the last 3 drafts combined.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad