OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
the throws or the catches?

90% of Daniel’s highlights are throwing fades to Nabers and Thomas against overmatched college DBs.

Do me a favor. Imagine it’s late January. It’s a playoff game. 20 degrees out. Playing in Philly or Chicago or Green Bay. You’ve got to get 4th and 1 or power a throw through the elements to a WR.

Who do you want as your QB? A human bobble head or Drake Maye?
1712282319887.jpeg

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

90% of Daniel’s highlights are throwing fades to Nabers and Thomas against overmatched college DBs.

Do me a favor. Imagine it’s late January. It’s a playoff game. 20 degrees out. Playing in Philly or Chicago or Green Bay. You’ve got to get 4th and 1 or power a throw through the elements to a WR.

I want the guy who's going to whip it to the guy wearing the same helmet.

Why don't you post the highlights from Maye's last game, we can compare?

Last edited:

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

I can tell you are not paying enough attention here. I'm an hour plus into that every pass/run in 2023 for JD and with Nabers/Thomas and to some degree Lacey plays that pop are the YAK plays/yards. JD is throwing super accurate throws where they don't have to challenge their reach radius.

Other thoughts. The handful of designed run plays in the first two games of the season were totally meh....especially up the middle. After that the would be sprinkled in but they would be more disguised delayed sweeps.

Also JD is a pocket passer just delivering pin point shots and running is option two which I like. His best running plays for the most part were when the lanes and open grassed called to him. Missouri game a couple of the big runs were designed up the middle but they most of seen some scheme opportunities.

By game 6 he's been doing a good job avoid big hits and is scooting out of bounds or getting down fast or sliding. One thing I would tell him is once he's in the grasp of a D player downfield DO NOT attempt to break free setting himself for some free shots by the D.

59:44 against Army is kind of a fun CW like dancing around the pocket to ultimately get a push/shovel pass to the RB for some good yards. Not sure if that would be in a highlight real but interesting to see him do some off platform throws.

1:05:58 against Alabama ridiculous pin point pass to Lacey who YAKs it post catch into the end zone.

1:13:19 deep side line pass to Thomas who was tightly covered just perfect ball placement/nothing challenging in the catch radius department.

Just another thing on the great receivers he has there generally is no adjustment that needs to be made they are beating their man but he's dropping into them IN STRIDE.

1:26:53 this is the slide awareness I want to see 100% of the time if the Commanders do draft him.

The Texas A&M game I thought was the first one where the LSU receivers made some ridiculous catches for TDs that I would give them more credit than JD by a degree. Lots of heavy blitzes where you see it does cause JD to miss some passes but then open up run lanes for scrambling is the downside.

Anyways I feel spending an hour and 38 minutes was really valuable and I would recommend everyone to spend the time if they are able. If I can find a DM one as well I will spend the time.

Another thing passes to the check down were really on target just the random handful mulligans where it was off.

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com
Not sure if anyone has posted this but found it interesting.

The result was this scene days before the matchup with Mississippi State: Daniels wearing the headset, and Macaluso holding an iPad.

Macaluso pressed a specific play on the iPad, then said it aloud to Daniels: “Tree Right Hug Y Swift Iowa Cold Flash Z Stop.” Macaluso then selected a specific defense but did not inform Daniels of the defense he picked so he would have to react to coverage movement in real time. Daniels received the snap (virtually), and the technology forced him to read out the plan in 1.7 seconds — faster than game speed. The effect, tying back to Hartmann’s neuroscience study, is similar to a baseball player throwing a different-sized ball to train different movement patterns.

Daniels went through this process for each play on LSU’s callsheet for that week and told Marucci and Macaluso that he enjoyed the process. That weekend, he converted the fourth-and-7 touchdown to Nabers and finished 30 of 34 for 361 yards and two touchdowns. After the game, one LSU staffer told Marucci: “Man, he looks different.” Marucci knows quarterback play is contingent on a boatload of factors, but Daniels visited him after the game and said: “I love this thing. I need to do more of it.”
Damn there is so many other good nerdy tech nuggets in that article I wish everyone could read.

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Not sure if anyone has posted this but found it interesting.

Damn there is so many other good nerdy tech nuggets in that article I wish everyone could read.
Yea that was a cool article - all the VR stuff JD did the past year is really interesting. Seems like everyone should be training with that tech!

Apologies if someone already posted this earlier in the day (and I just missed it). But JD wrote a nice piece about his journey in the player’s tribune. Worth the read for some insight into his strength of character:

Last edited:
Reactions: kicksavedave

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

The Athletic polled seven team executives, coaches and scouts over the past week for an updated evaluation of the QB class. Specifically, they were asked what they believed the Commanders would do at No. 2.
Three of them believed Daniels would be the pick. Two thought it would be Maye. One predicted McCarthy.

The last executive, who is not selecting in the top 10, didn’t offer a prediction but said a trade-down would be the wisest choice. The executive believed the drop-off from the second quarterback to the next tier wasn’t too steep, and the ability to recoup a haul of future draft picks would be too enticing to pass up.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Yea that was a cool article - all the VR stuff JD did the past year is really interesting. Seems like everyone should be training with that tech!

Apologies if someone already posted this earlier in the day (and I just missed it). But JD wrote a nice piece about his journey in the player’s tribune. Worth the read for some insight into his strength of character:

I'd put money that that's exactly what's going to start happening -- success breeds imitation. That is some crazy cool tech, though.

Reactions: RedRocking

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

The Athletic polled seven team executives, coaches and scouts over the past week for an updated evaluation of the QB class. Specifically, they were asked what they believed the Commanders would do at No. 2.
Three of them believed Daniels would be the pick. Two thought it would be Maye. One predicted McCarthy.

The last executive, who is not selecting in the top 10, didn’t offer a prediction but said a trade-down would be the wisest choice. The executive believed the drop-off from the second quarterback to the next tier wasn’t too steep, and the ability to recoup a haul of future draft picks would be too enticing to pass up.
I wonder if that last executive was picking at #11...

• Haha
Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
This is flat out malfeasance and not how you go about drafting your franchise QB.

You aren’t competing for a Super Bowl in year 1 you’re competing for the next 10-15 years.

Daniels is the obvious Snyder sucker pick.
No way -- the Snyder crew would never make the obviously correct pick.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
I hope this org takes a close look at how the texans have managed to turn their franchise completely around within just one year and try to emulate that model as much as possible moving forward

Reactions: ynotcaps

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
Daniels is the obvious Snyder sucker pick.

I'm still torn between these two guys, but why would you automatically assume that the guy ready to start now is definitely not also the best guy overall? If there's a difference in ceilings between Maye and Daniels, I doubt it's massive. I haven't watched much of JJ yet, but it sounds like he might have similar potential.

I agree that we should draft the guy that we think will be better, even if it's not right away. But ability to play now and having a super bright future are not mutually exclusive ideas.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Matt Miller from ESPN.com this a.m., on team most likely to trade up in Rd1 for a non-QB:

Miller: Washington Commanders. We all believe they will take a quarterback with the No. 2 overall pick, but I also think they're the team most likely to move up for a non-quarterback. The Commanders currently own pick Nos. 36 and 40 in the second round and are in the market for a left tackle after signing interior linemen Nick Allegretti and Tyler Biadasz in free agency. Per the Jimmy Johnson draft trade chart, packaging the two second-rounders would be good enough to get to pick No. 16 overall and grab a left tackle before the run on the position likely starts around pick No. 20 with the Pittsburgh Steelers on the clock. I think Penn State's Olumuyiwa Fashanu, Washington's Troy Fautanu and/or Oklahoma's Tyler Guyton could be available in that range.

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I think they can get back into R1 and they can use one 2nd+ instead of both 2nds. That would be ideal.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
To get back into rd 1 will take more than one second -- but if it's for a top OT prospect, I'd be willing to entertain giving up next year's first. If it gives our new QB a better chance to succeed, then it devalues that pick by improving our chances to win.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad