OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Latham is the dream scenario.

I like Morgan and Sumaitai (sp) also as later picks. The kid from Yale has upside… so many different ways to skin this cat.

Agreed, lots of stud talents at OT, but several of them are not ready to be depended on as a starter on day 1. Morgan maybe. Mimms, Guyton, Sumataia, Amegadjie and Paul are good examples of guys who need a year to develop fully.

Reactions: Neil Racki

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
Ive heard about this draft class (mostly craig hoffman/logan paulsen/grant and danny/interviews w PFF ppl etc)

- really good draft for top tier OT
- really good draft for top tier WR .. apparently Odunze and Nabers would be no. 1 ranked WR in most other drafts
- talent takes a sharp fall after 4th round

21 days until we pick Jayden Daniels (who only RG3 and Alex Smith were as tall and light weight)

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
No way…sorry, I don’t believe the analysts are lying about who they like on this one…this is not the WWE.

Lou Riddick simply likes JD more than anyone.

What you’re suggesting is not point/counterpoint. In fact most/good shows are VERY clear when they play that game.
Easy to give production and theme notes and have someone creatively "find an angle" to create a debate.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Heard the same thing re JJ mcCarthy .. did a ton of VR every week, first one in building etc

Id be cool to know exactly what and how the VR works. Seems to be a common thing now.

Pioli mentioned specifically how he used it to get familiar with stadiums he hadn't played in before - where the clocks were, etc. The more prep you can do in advance, the less you need to do on game day, so you can be confident. I would love to see how they use VR in game situations, against virtual defenses, in a collapsing pocket, or seeing the routes develop. Would be really cool.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Heard the same thing re JJ mcCarthy .. did a ton of VR every week, first one in building etc

Id be cool to know exactly what and how the VR works. Seems to be a common thing now.
McCarthy is more impressive each time you watch him. He’s great just short of elite across the board. We know Peters likes him. I’m almost tempted to put a little cash money on this one.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

I like Morgan and Sumaitai (sp) also as later picks. The kid from Yale has upside… so many different ways to skin this cat.
I've seen one or two folks who don't like Latham, think he's way overestimated.

Then again, our current LT situation is a choice between Spam and liverwurst, so...

Reactions: Neil Racki

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Easy to give production and theme notes and have someone creatively "find an angle" to create a debate.
….that a guy like Riddick, or Warner, or Tannenbaum, or anyone of that ilk is actively making up that they think a certain guy is better than another. If they want to do a segment on “convince me that Maye should go 2”, they just talk that hypothetical out, they’re not actively deceiving the audience as is being suggested, when really they think another guy should go 2. If they end up wrong they end up wrong, but no WWE scripting is in play IMO….it’s just way to easy an excuse to say this is why they’re not picking my guy….

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
McCarthy is more impressive each time you watch him. He’s great just short of elite across the board. We know Peters likes him. I’m almost tempted to put a little cash money on this one.
Logan Paulsen has taken over for Cooley for who I trust in evals and explaining football.

Hes a fan of JJ. Said he doesnt have as many throws as the other guys but if you just look at NFL throws .. JJ has as many NFL throws on film as the other guys. Only thing is his long ball but Paulsen isnt sure he wasnt be coached to under throw the long ball.

I was firmly against trading down (and still am) as I think you dont get cute here and you take what you think is the best of the 3 (JJ, DM, JD)

But if they traded back a few spots and took JJ, then say they were going to take JJ at 2 if no trade ... Id be happy with that.

In Peters I Trust

Reactions: Ridley Simon

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Everyone’s all American boy….easy to like that’s for sure.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA

So does the kid from Texas. I can’t remember his name…. Jones, maybe?

I’d like to see them add 2 OT’s. One super early, and then another around 67 or 78. Double their options and set up for future (getting rid of Wylie and allowing Lucas to stay as a swing guy

Reactions: ynotcaps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
….that a guy like Riddick, or Warner, or Tannenbaum, or anyone of that ilk is actively making up that they think a certain guy is better than another. If they want to do a segment on “convince me that Maye should go 2”, they just talk that hypothetical out, they’re not actively deceiving the audience as is being suggested, when really they think another guy should go 2. If they end up wrong they end up wrong, but no WWE scripting is in play IMO….it’s just way to easy an excuse to say this is why they’re not picking my guy….
I think it works something like this. “We need to debate which QB is best….we know you guys have your favourites, so let’s determine who wants to make the best argument/debate for Maye, and then who for Daniels, etc etc”.

I doubt they are told what to say, or who to “promote”, however these shows are living breathing things, and of course they need conflict. So they figure out how to create it.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I think it works something like this. “We need to debate which QB is best….we know you guys have your favourites, so let’s determine who wants to make the best argument/debate for Maye, and then who for Daniels, etc etc”.

I doubt they are told what to say, or who to “promote”, however these shows are living breathing things, and of course they need conflict. So they figure out how to create it.
And that premise makes sense because there always different opinions…..but they aren’t lying and putting their reps on the line for a guy they don’t believe in, IMO…

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Exactly. They make their living based on their expertise in the game and talent evaluation is a huge part of that -- knowing what they're talking about is their currency. They're also all guys who have worked in the league, and certainly in the case of Riddick, may well work in the league again. No way are they going to make shit up for eyeballs or clicks -- every evaluation they do is on the record and available to any prospective employer to evaluate their judgment.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Exactly. They make their living based on their expertise in the game and talent evaluation is a huge part of that -- knowing what they're talking about is their currency. They're also all guys who have worked in the league, and certainly in the case of Riddick, may well work in the league again. No way are they going to make shit up for eyeballs or clicks -- every evaluation they do is on the record and available to any prospective employer to evaluate their judgment.
Rack em Jim!

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
So does the kid from Texas. I can’t remember his name…. Jones, maybe?

I’d like to see them add 2 OT’s. One super early, and then another around 67 or 78. Double their options and set up for future (getting rid of Wylie and allowing Lucas to stay as a swing guy
Before we lost our way into contention for a top QB, I was on record here as supporting using every pick on OL. I feel better about IOL since FA, but still need multiple OTs.
(And I'm REALLY curious to see what happens with our 2 mid-round OL picks from last year...)

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I hear what you're saying, but I don't think it's apples to apples to compare the guys with legit league experience who got their jobs because of their expertise and specific knowledge of the game to the Stephen A. Smiths, Skip Baylisses, Mel Kipers who were created by the media.

The guys who made their bones in the game are different than the guys who were made by the machine. They may be just as wrong in the end, but their opinions and evaluations are coming from a different -- and in my view -- more valid place.
More valid, no doubt, but I think we're maybe not exactly saying the same thing.

I don't think those guys are "making up" things to say, I do think it's incentivized and arguably part of their job description to play some opinions up. Turn a 60% held belief into 80-90% because it's better for the segment or allows room for other analysts to be a foil. I think some guys are more comfortable with it than others and it's not like being a blowhard is the only way to go about it, but overall I think they're encouraged to be declarative when possible and not worry so much about walking things back later.

A panel of guys who have all "picked" "their guy" is more interesting to watch than a panel of guys who like all the options and have a really hard time deciding. Warner's "we don't know and we're not really going to know" is the only real piece of information that rings 100% true.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
More valid, no doubt, but I think we're maybe not exactly saying the same thing.

I don't think those guys are "making up" things to say, I do think it's incentivized and arguably part of their job description to play some opinions up. Turn a 60% held belief into 80-90% because it's better for the segment or allows room for other analysts to be a foil. I think some guys are more comfortable with it than others and it's not like being a blowhard is the only way to go about it, but overall I think they're encouraged to be declarative when possible and not worry so much about walking things back later.

A panel of guys who have all "picked" "their guy" is more interesting to watch than a panel of guys who like all the options and have a really hard time deciding.
Agreed. This is akin to what I stated a little bit ago. They want people to fill “roles”, and they have enough people to do so, based on what each of those people “really thinks”. Irs
Not made up. But it’s certainly nuanced quite a bit, IMO

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Who said anything about lying?
When someone says “they only picked that guy for clicks or views or stories”, that’s suggesting they are making shit up. That shit is said a lot around here rather than articulating a defense of their preferred guy…

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
A shorter version, and not just a personal highlight reel. Season finale against A&M. If there's another guy who can make those 3 2nd half TD throws on the boundary and in the back corner, take him.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
A shorter version, and not just a personal highlight reel. Season finale against A&M. If there's another guy who can make those 3 2nd half TD throws on the boundary and in the back corner, take him.

the throws or the catches?

90% of Daniel’s highlights are throwing fades to Nabers and Thomas against overmatched college DBs.

Do me a favor. Imagine it’s late January. It’s a playoff game. 20 degrees out. Playing in Philly or Chicago or Green Bay. You’ve got to get 4th and 1 or power a throw through the elements to a WR.

Who do you want as your QB? A human bobble head or Drake Maye?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad