OT: 2024 Washington Commanders thread: change we can believe in!

Bananas

Sponsor
Mar 26, 2007
I imagine that 2nd could be an asset to try to move up to get one of the top WRs this year. ATM, C. Samuel is their #1 -- hard to feel good about that, no matter how good your QB is.
Idk they may be looking at Chiefs and thinking “we’ve been doing this wrong, f*** WRs”.

• Haha
Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I get the JJ McCarthy hype. I don’t know what his upside is but after doing a deep dive on his tape I came away extremely impressed. Pro ready pocket movement and accuracy.

If anyone reminds me of young Russ Wilson it’s this guy.

Still leaning Maye but I wouldn’t be devastated if they shocked the world at took him at 2.
Welcome to the JJ McCarthy club. I’ve been the founder and sole member for a while now.

You can see what I’ve been seeing.

Reactions: Neil Racki

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal
Man, ESPN is really trying to make JD at 1OA happen. Every other morning I hear Louis Riddick yelling at me “No, No..Shut up!! I’m telling you, Jayden is the best QB in the draft!! Something, something CJ Stroud…”

Then Greenie brings on draft analysts, one after another who shoot it down, saying “uh no, Caleb is going #1, I don’t know what you’re talking about.” And then Greenie is sad, lol.

Has Riddick been like this for a while? I used to think he was more reserved and measured. Is everyone at ESPN just worried about being fired these days? Maybe all the draft coverage feels more annoying cause we’re picking at the top this year.

Anyways, I hope he is right and JD is indeed the best (assuming we take him).

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Well here's an interesting endorsement for JD. "Virtual reality"???

His prep is legit NFL ready. I'm sure the other guys are hard workers. I doubt anyone will out work or our prepare JD. Apparently they had to give him his own key card to access the training facility because he was the first one to show up at 5am most days.

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia

Round 1
#2 Daniels

Round 2

"One more trade projection here, and it's for the last remaining quarterback I have ranked in my top 50. After missing out on the top five passers on Day 1 and knowing teams will be eyeing the QBs available here, I have the Raiders sending No. 44 and a 2025 third-rounder to the Commanders for No. 36."

Yeah, pass on that trade. Would want this year's 3rd rounder

Keon Coleman, WR, FSU

Patrick Paul, OT, Houston

Holtbyisms

Matt Irwin is a legit talent
Sponsor
Jul 1, 2012
Bedford, PA
Man, ESPN is really trying to make JD at 1OA happen. Every other morning I hear Louis Riddick yelling at me “No, No..Shut up!! I’m telling you, Jayden is the best QB in the draft!! Something, something CJ Stroud…”

Then Greenie brings on draft analysts, one after another who shoot it down, saying “uh no, Caleb is going #1, I don’t know what you’re talking about.” And then Greenie is sad, lol.

Has Riddick been like this for a while? I used to think he was more reserved and measured. Is everyone at ESPN just worried about being fired these days? Maybe all the draft coverage feels more annoying cause we’re picking at the top this year.

Anyways, I hope he is right and JD is indeed the best (assuming we take him).
They pick one guy every year and hype him beyond belief. It's great content for ESPN and it all starts with an early Mel Kiper mock with a surprise QB pick. It makes for great TV. People fall for it every year and then the draft rolls around and real NFL people make the call, make Mel look crazy and then ESPNs next hype train is giving the team that took said QB an A+++++++ draft because they stole a top prospect and blabber about it for weeks while interviewing the prospect multiple times who says they're just ready to get into camp, do what coach says and prove everyone who passed on them wrong. People have such short memories.

Roric

Aug 2, 2020
Welcome to the JJ McCarthy club. I’ve been the founder and sole member for a while now.

You can see what I’ve been seeing.
I’m getting there too, and I was firmly against it at #2 not too long ago. It’s not just the tape either, watching this guy in his interviews and he comes off very charismatic and likeable. He has some good positive energy and vibes to him which is refreshing

Reactions: Ridley Simon

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002

Round 1
#2 Daniels

Round 2

"One more trade projection here, and it's for the last remaining quarterback I have ranked in my top 50. After missing out on the top five passers on Day 1 and knowing teams will be eyeing the QBs available here, I have the Raiders sending No. 44 and a 2025 third-rounder to the Commanders for No. 36."

Yeah, pass on that trade. Would want this year's 3rd rounder

Keon Coleman, WR, FSU

Patrick Paul, OT, Houston
I’d do it IF the OT’s were all gone at 36. Otherwise, I’d rather they moved up, not down.

And NO to Keon Coleman. I don’t like. He’s one of the few WR’s in that range, that I would like them to stay away from

Reactions: ynotcaps

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
I’m getting there too, and I was firmly against it at #2 not too long ago. It’s not just the tape either, watching this guy in his interviews and he comes off very charismatic and likeable. He has some good positive energy and vibes to him which is refreshing
My personal “perfect scenario” is the Skins getting JJ a little bit later than 2, and accruing some extra draft capital in doing so. Even if that was 3 or 4, I’d be thrilled with him as the QB AND get some extra stuff.

That’s what I want first and foremost. However, whatever they do, I’m ok with. Even if it’s JJ at 2.

Reactions: kicksavedave

Cush

Dec 1, 2002
Northern Virginia
My personal “perfect scenario” is the Skins getting JJ a little bit later than 2, and accruing some extra draft capital in doing so. Even if that was 3 or 4, I’d be thrilled with him as the QB AND get some extra stuff.

That’s what I want first and foremost. However, whatever they do, I’m ok with. Even if it’s JJ at 2.

Would be ideal, just don't see a team trading up #2 for a non-QB

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
They pick one guy every year and hype him beyond belief. It's great content for ESPN and it all starts with an early Mel Kiper mock with a surprise QB pick. It makes for great TV. People fall for it every year and then the draft rolls around and real NFL people make the call, make Mel look crazy and then ESPNs next hype train is giving the team that took said QB an A+++++++ draft because they stole a top prospect and blabber about it for weeks while interviewing the prospect multiple times who says they're just ready to get into camp, do what coach says and prove everyone who passed on them wrong. People have such short memories.
Keep pumping this angle….LR believes in the guy….it is what it is, not made up for TV. Nobody forgets, so please stop acting like everyone are sheeple who can’t form their own opinions by reading and watching multiple analysts who are accomplished in their own right.

Reactions: ynotcaps

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Keep pumping this angle….LR believes in the guy….it is what it is, not made up for TV. Nobody forgets, so please stop acting like everyone are sheeple who can’t form their own opinions by reading and watching multiple analysts who are accomplished in their own right.
I don't know, he's got a point -- maybe Pioli and Riddick and Warner and Simms and Chase Daniel and others all just saw Kiper's draft and decided, "to hell with our experience and careers and integrity, we're just going to get onboard Mel's crazy train"...

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
I’d do it IF the OT’s were all gone at 36. Otherwise, I’d rather they moved up, not down.

And NO to Keon Coleman. I don’t like. He’s one of the few WR’s in that range, that I would like them to stay away from
I think we're going to regret it if we don't move back into the first for an OT. There is nobody left in the current pro ranks, and counting on the 6th, 7th or 8th rookie off the board to step in and start is a recipe for disaster. And they may well have to be ready to move mid-first if they want to get a top 4 OT.
(My heart's more in the QB battle, but my fear is much more around the OT situation.)

I agree. They could trade up for Daniels or Maye. But then it would probably be too far down to get JJ
Yeah, the only team I could see trading up this high for a QB who would still return a pick where we could get one of the top 4 is the Gints, and I'll be ****ed if I'm going to let them jump into OUR spot to get THEIR preferred guy.

HTFN

Feb 8, 2009
I don't know, he's got a point -- maybe Pioli and Riddick and Warner and Simms and Chase Daniel and others all just saw Kiper's draft and decided, "to hell with our experience and careers and integrity, we're just going to get onboard Mel's crazy train"...
I feel like that post is getting misinterpreted.

These guys are basically just playing a board game. They pick sides and do stuff and advocate for whatever line in the sand they've drawn because being loud and expressive and making declarative statements gets people talking in return. It's an engagement method.

Their "careers and integrity" are this, because this is American sports media. Do you remember the last time Skip Bayless stopped himself from saying something stupid and inflammatory because his integrity wouldn't allow it? I'm not saying they're all sensationalists but there's no reason to talk for X minutes only to conclude with "hey, everything's crazy and anything could happen, what the f*** do I know?" as a paid analyst. It's your job to pretend you do.

Warner sticks out as the wildcard to me but we're also talking about a guy who only got to the analyst spot as an unheralded, undrafted guy who went on to be a two time NFL MVP. It would be some wildly ridiculous bullshit if he were out there saying QB scouting and draft profiles are pretty assured and making declarative statements at this point.

TL;DR integrity isn't the focal point of "journalism" anymore, especially in sports media. Pick a side, scratch the backs of fans who love hearing that, and then pull the ripcord later and half justify why you were dumb later if you turn out to be dumb... or just ignore it. Or double down. It all gets interaction, integrity doesn't make money.

Reactions: g00n and RedRocking

RedRocking

Jan 8, 2022
NoCal

These guys are basically just playing a board game. They pick sides and do stuff and advocate for whatever line in the sand they've drawn because being loud and expressive and making declarative statements gets people talking in return. It's an engagement method.

Their "careers and integrity" are this, because this is American sports media. Do you remember the last time Skip Bayless stopped himself from saying something stupid and inflammatory because his integrity wouldn't allow it? I'm not saying they're all sensationalists but there's no reason to talk for X minutes only to conclude with "hey, everything's crazy and anything could happen, what the f*** do I know?" as a paid analyst. It's your job to pretend you do.

Warner sticks out as the wildcard to me but we're also talking about a guy who only got to the analyst spot as an unheralded, undrafted guy who went on to be a two time NFL MVP. It would be some wildly ridiculous bullshit if he were out there saying QB scouting and draft profiles are pretty assured and making declarative statements at this point.

TL;DR integrity isn't the focal point of "journalism" anymore, especially in sports media. Pick a side, scratch the backs of fans who love hearing that, and then pull the ripcord later and half justify why you were dumb later if you turn out to be dumb... or just ignore it. Or double down. It all gets interaction, integrity doesn't make money.
Well said. This started from me just poking fun at ESPN’s draft coverage. It’s all a game to get people lathered up for their draft night “show”. Every morning with the “coming up next - you won’t believe who one of our analysts thinks the Bears should take!”

And if it’s Louis Riddick, he will say JD; if it’s Tim Hasslebeck, he’ll say DM. Like, hey fellas: these aren’t hot takes if you say the same thing every day. And the whole world knows the Bears are taking CW - so, it’s just fake controversy, trying to see what sticks. Plus, these are the same “geniuses” that said Fields would go for a 1st; or at worst a 2nd. It’s nonsense.

I’ve also been surprised that Riddick has turned into one of these insufferable sensationalists; that’s never been my impression of him before. But now, at the slightest prompt, he turns into this defensive a-hole, and goes on a diatribe about how everyone else is dumb, and “YOU HAVE to take Daniels!!”

Like, huh? Me? I’m just sitting on my couch dude - let me live, lol.

I don’t doubt he likes the kid, and not saying JD won’t be a top pick. It’s just hard to take much of the coverage seriously, and it’s easier to laugh at what’s become of sports “journalism”. I don’t know why fans of certain guys in the draft get defensive when some of us (in this thread) poke fun at the silly charade going on.

Last edited:

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
LOL. ESPN is in the business of "sports talk". You can't have sports talk without controversy. Look at who they hire.

Their producers craft storylines designed to spark discussion, or else capitalize on some famous player who's in the headlines at the moment (often largely due to ESPN itself...see: endless Favre or Rodgers coverage).

"If it bleeds it leads" applies.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
LOL. ESPN is in the business of "sports talk". You can't have sports talk without controversy. Look at who they hire.

Their producers craft storylines designed to spark discussion, or else capitalize on some famous player who's in the headlines at the moment (often largely due to ESPN itself...see: endless Favre or Rodgers coverage).

"If it bleeds it leads" applies.
So you believe a Producer for example on Get Up or First Take is scripting these things where one analysts likes one guy and another has another favorite? I don’t buy it…..if discovered, they would lose all credibility as analysts…

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
So you believe a Producer for example on Get Up or First Take is scripting these things where one analysts likes one guy and another has another favorite? I don’t buy it…..if discovered, they would lose all credibility as analysts…
Yes. Absolutely. Maybe not on every single issue, but they definitely do on some and steer on others. It's the old point/counterpoint formula.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yes. Absolutely. Maybe not on every single issue, but they definitely do on some and steer on others. It's the old point/counterpoint formula.

No way…sorry, I don’t believe the analysts are lying about who they like on this one…this is not the WWE.

Lou Riddick simply likes JD more than anyone.

What you’re suggesting is not point/counterpoint. In fact most/good shows are VERY clear when they play that game.

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006

I hear what you're saying, but I don't think it's apples to apples to compare the guys with legit league experience who got their jobs because of their expertise and specific knowledge of the game to the Stephen A. Smiths, Skip Baylisses, Mel Kipers who were created by the media.

The guys who made their bones in the game are different than the guys who were made by the machine. They may be just as wrong in the end, but their opinions and evaluations are coming from a different -- and in my view -- more valid place.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
I think we're going to regret it if we don't move back into the first for an OT. There is nobody left in the current pro ranks, and counting on the 6th, 7th or 8th rookie off the board to step in and start is a recipe for disaster. And they may well have to be ready to move mid-first if they want to get a top 4 OT.
(My heart's more in the QB battle, but my fear is much more around the OT situation.)

Yeah, the only team I could see trading up this high for a QB who would still return a pick where we could get one of the top 4 is the Gints, and I'll be ****ed if I'm going to let them jump into OUR spot to get THEIR preferred guy.
I would be fine with them moving both 36 and 40 to move into the middle of the first if Fashanu or Fuaga falls.

Fuaga in particular is a great fit if they plan on doing something similar to Anthony Lynn’s run game in Frisco.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I would be fine with them moving both 36 and 40 to move into the middle of the first if Fashanu or Fuaga falls.

Fuaga in particular is a great fit if they plan on doing something similar to Anthony Lynn’s run game in Frisco.

Agreed. There's about 4, maybe 5 tackles really ready to start day 1. Fuaga and Alt (who won't drop) are the most ready. But if Fashanu, Fuaga or Fautanu do drop, I'd pounce on them, possibly Latham also.

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia
Agreed. There's about 4, maybe 5 tackles really ready to start day 1. Fuaga and Alt (who won't drop) are the most ready. But if Fashanu, Fuaga or Fautanu do drop, I'd pounce on them, possibly Latham also.
Latham is the dream scenario.

I like Morgan and Sumaitai (sp) also as later picks. The kid from Yale has upside… so many different ways to skin this cat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad