OT: 2024 Washington Commanders off-season thread: change we can believe in!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
KJ Henry really the only surprise cut so far. AP taking a damn blowtorch to Rivera's draft picks. There might be more Gruden players left after today than Rivera players... it's possible only one draft pick (Forbes) from the 2023 class will be on the final roster.
1724788388772.png

Another one bites the dust

Reactions: Neil Racki

Neil Racki

May 2, 2018
Baltimore-ish
WR Terrace Marshal and CB Caleb Farley released ... these guys were hot/hype draft names just a few years ago

---------

I keep wanting them to add a WR2 and an LT1 and a CB1 .. but I gotta remember like Peters said - this year is about stocking the pantry, next year is about adding those big expensive pieces

Reactions: ynotcaps

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
WR Terrace Marshal and CB Caleb Farley released ... these guys were hot/hype draft names just a few years ago

---------

I keep wanting them to add a WR2 and an LT1 and a CB1 .. but I gotta remember like Peters said - this year is about stocking the pantry, next year is about adding those big expensive pieces
I liked Marshall at LSU, but he's done literally nothing since getting drafted. Good size at 6'2. Somebody'll take a chance on him, but it seems he is what he is.

Farley has had injuries and lost both parents (including his dad dying in a house explosion!?). Back surgeries, ACL and a lingering nerve issue -- the latter would make me most nervous.

(That said, my left nut would probably be an improvement over our current outside CBs -- and I'm right-nutted.)

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
It seems he shouldn't be expecting anyone from the team to be coming to take his ring measurement...
He said “40 of my players”…..

We are maybe at….20? Prob less, I didn’t count his FA’s. From 20-23? Maybe 5? Point is, it ain’t close to 40!!

Edit — I was giving far too much credit. There are 15 players — on the 53 man roster — that Ron brought to the table. 15.

5 that he inherited, are still on the team (Allen, Payne, McLaurin, Reaves, and Way).

So 20. 15 he can claim.

Holy SHIT — Which also means 33 are new!!! 33/53?? Has any team had THAT much turnover in one off season???

Last edited:

ynotcaps

Aug 4, 2006
Meanwhile... has there ever been a worse QB class than the 2022 crop?

Of 9 QBs drafted, the only one that will be a starter this season is the one who was taken with the last pick (Purdy). And the only other one with his original team was the next latest drafted guy. That group... SUCKED.

1 (20) Kenny Pickett – traded, then cut
3 (74) Desmond Ridder – traded, then cut
3 (86) Malik Willis – traded, backup to J Love
3 (94) Matt Corral – cut (by 3 different teams)
4 (137) Bailey Zappe – cut (twice by NE)
5 (144) Sam Howell – traded (Backup to Geno
7 (241) Chris Oladokun – cut
7 (247) Skylar Thompson (Dolphins)
7 (262) Brock Purdy (49ers)

usiel

Where wolf’s ears are, wolf’s teeth are near.
Sponsor
Jul 29, 2002
Klendathu
www.myspace.com

What are everyone's predictions for JD's statline this year?
Hard to predict numbers. Based on the limited offense exposure to the scheme in preseason games they were getting the ball out of his fans pretty fast which tells me they do know their O line vulnerability. Receiver core is still over all not great. We've all seen that QBs that are very mobile however can really open up games. You know I'm just going to watch and enjoy.

Jags

Mildly Disturbed
May 5, 2016
Central Florida
What are everyone's predictions for JD's statline this year?

No idea what his stats might look like with so little info on what the offense has in store for us, but my random hopes for him are...

At least 1 passing TD per game. 1.5 per game for the year would be awesome.

Fewer than 1 INT per game, and hopefully fewer than 1 turnover. I want him getting the ball out to make sure he's protected, so I'm not going to bag on him for some poor throws. I'm good with 17 or less for the year.

A low sack total. I want to see him throwing it away, sliding, and getting out of bounds. My primary concern is his safety, but one of the down sides of hero ball is taking unnecessary losses and hits that set the offense back. None of that, please.

Chemistry with his pass-catchers, whoever they end up being. Those guys running clean routes and and gelling with him so that he knows what/who to look for when plays break down... that's gonna be crucial. Harder to throw with anticipation if your receivers are unpredictable.

4,000 yards would be nice. A 250 per game average would be fantastic, but just positive consistency would be very encouraging.

Lastly, I don't care about rushing yards and TDs. If they come safely, sure, pile 'em up. But I don't want him being short-sighted about his career or trying to win games on his own, body be damned. His teammates need to see him as a leader, and "being a warrior" is a common shortcut. A more mature leader finds deeper and more meaningful ways to lead.

Toughness isn't measured in the extra two yards you got on that scramble by taking a huge hit. Toughness is getting your offense playing together and executing regardless of the odds, situation, or score. You don't need to bleed for us to lead us to the promise land...

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
I don't see any reason he can't duplicate or beat RG3s rookie season, which was 3200 yards, 65% comp, 20/5 TD/INT, and 7 more rushing TDs. RG3 set a few rookie passing records which have since been eclipsed, but JD is just a better passer all around than RG3 was.

RG3 probably had the better OL though.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
He said “40 of my players”…..

We are maybe at….20? Prob less, I didn’t count his FA’s. From 20-23? Maybe 5? Point is, it ain’t close to 40!!

Edit — I was giving far too much credit. There are 15 players — on the 53 man roster — that Ron brought to the table. 15.

5 that he inherited, are still on the team (Allen, Payne, McLaurin, Reaves, and Way).

So 20. 15 he can claim.

Holy SHIT — Which also means 33 are new!!! 33/53?? Has any team had THAT much turnover in one off season???

This is why I've been totally checked out; the level of turnover is overwhelming lol. I barely watched preseason. I'm just waiting for real games to learn who is what and also what is which. We aren't gonna know who anyone is

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Meanwhile... has there ever been a worse QB class than the 2022 crop?

Of 9 QBs drafted, the only one that will be a starter this season is the one who was taken with the last pick (Purdy). And the only other one with his original team was the next latest drafted guy. That group... SUCKED.

1 (20) Kenny Pickett – traded, then cut
3 (74) Desmond Ridder – traded, then cut
3 (86) Malik Willis – traded, backup to J Love
3 (94) Matt Corral – cut (by 3 different teams)
4 (137) Bailey Zappe – cut (twice by NE)
5 (144) Sam Howell – traded (Backup to Geno
7 (241) Chris Oladokun – cut
7 (247) Skylar Thompson (Dolphins)
7 (262) Brock Purdy (49ers)

Howell will be extremely good one day. Just wait for it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad