Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v6 | Fri, Sept 13 | vs StL | 7pm ET/4pm PT | TBA vs TBA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
His last week has been very promising indeed.
And his career in the minors.
Over 1090ab’s - about two full mlb seasons worth - he has a career ops of 873 with 52hr and 69sb.
High K rate. But lots of walks too.

Reactions: KapG

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
And his career in the minors.
Over 1090ab’s - about two full mlb seasons worth - he has a career ops of 873 with 52hr and 69sb.
High K rate. But lots of walks too.
The Jays have a thing for acquiring flawed speed/power OF from the Astros, don't they? Hopefully he turns out to be more of a Teoscar than a Derek Fisher.

One thing Loperfido has that those guys didn't is that he actually looks really good defensively early on. There was talk that Teo/Fisher could play CF because of their speed, but they could both barely even fake it in a corner. Loperfido genuinely looks excellent out there.

I also don't know that we ever saw Teo make the kinds of heads up baserunning plays we saw yesterday. Loperfido seems good at the instinct parts of the game. Hopefully the bat keeps progressing.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
We don't know exactly what he does, but there are a few points that are pretty damn concerning:

1. The year he was hired, the Jays offense took a huge step back.
2. They promoted him the next year, and it took a bigger step back in the first half.
3. Some players, and the team as a whole, have seen a resurgence the last couple months, and they're always seen talking to either Hague or Edwin while we've barely even seen Mattingly on the bench in months.

It's nothing definitive, but I think it's enough to want to see a change.
Sometimes I wonder if the organization decided to change hitting approaches after 2022. I know the focus was more on defense but from 2020-2022 the team was a power-hitting team. High exit velocities and slugging. I wonder if they tried to go to a more contact approach in 2023 and 2024.

Mattingly comes along and his approach matches their new vision for hitting. More contact oriented and less power. I haven't seen the stats in a while but at one point Jays were among the bottom in the league for power and exit velocities. Even targeting people such as Turner and IKF and not strongly going after a guy like Joc Pederson to me at least, shows they prioritized contact over power.

It does puzzle me why they targeted Mattingly and even promoted him. As @Eyedea shows his track record on the bench wasn't good. He's an older guy and unlikely to change his ways as well.

The Jays seem to have a different approach compared to the start of the year. They are hitting the ball with more power. Players who struggled at the start of the year are improving. Mattingly is less visible and we are seeing Hague a lot more. I would be stunned and disappointed if Mattingly is still with the team next year.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
The Jays have a thing for acquiring flawed speed/power OF from the Astros, don't they? Hopefully he turns out to be more of a Teoscar than a Derek Fisher.

One thing Loperfido has that those guys didn't is that he actually looks really good defensively early on. There was talk that Teo/Fisher could play CF because of their speed, but they could both barely even fake it in a corner. Loperfido genuinely looks excellent out there.

I also don't know that we ever saw Teo make the kinds of heads up baserunning plays we saw yesterday. Loperfido seems good at the instinct parts of the game. Hopefully the bat keeps progressing.
Agreed, well said. Not only on the liner to second, but taking the extra base on Pillars unusual step back on his single.
Head in the game, ready to pounce.
Could be a good one.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I wonder how far they go with him. Don’t want him pitching 130 pitches or even 120 is pushing it.

Letting him go once in pursuit of history, especially when there are some off-days and chances to stretch the rotation in the coming weeks, shouldn't be too bad. The value of giving him this shot at history is worth the minor risk. He came into hte inning at, I think, 111 pitches. It's not likely that he's going to get much over 130 without giving up at least one baserunner somehow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad