Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v6 | Fri, Sept 13 | vs StL | 7pm ET/4pm PT | TBA vs TBA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

I know they have been playing weaker competition but the bats have been doing very well recently.

Since July Kirk has a 112 wRC and since Jansen was traded it's 135.

Fix the offence, and some of these young players keeping some of this production up and this is a playoff team/contender next year. I mean, 49-9 when scoring 5 runs or more. That tells all you need to know.

shaner8989

Aug 6, 2005
Pissing away a top pick

Love to see the kids take though.

Never judge a player when they play meaningless games with zero pressure though.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
All it takes is for guys to stay the hell away from Mattingly.
Best thing the Jays could do in the offseason is punt Mattingly. Makes me wonder where they would be last season and this season if they didn’t hire him in the first place!

I’ve probably said this but every time a player has turned it around it’s always mentioned they have been working with Hague.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Best thing the Jays could do in the offseason is punt Mattingly. Makes me wonder where they would be last season and this season if they didn’t hire him in the first place!

I’ve probably said this but every time a player has turned it around it’s always mentioned they have been working with Hague.

Mattingly's direct involvement with the hitters is completely unknown. His title is "offensive coordinator", and they have two other clear "hitting coaches". It is obvious that he isn't working day to day with hitters in what would be assumed to be the "hitting coach" duty.

This has become a meme at this point. I'm really not sure what value he brings to the staff, but its a bit silly to pretend like any time a hitter is doing poorly it is somehow his fault, but if a hitter does well it is to someone else's credit. He either has direct control of the hitters, or he doesn't. Lets not pretend like Mattingly is directly "coaching" all of the poor hitters, but Matt Hague is "coaching" all of the guys who are hitting lol.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Like how he battled back though.
Normally 6 base runners in 6ip is plenty fine.
Yeah but he's such a sourpuss how things have gone for the team, but he hasn't been good himself, so he has contributed to the overall suckiness this season.

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Again, pretty cool when guys who’ve been scuffling start to put it together and have a big moment like this.
It’s my more interesting following the team after the deadline than before.

Yeah but he's such a sourpuss how things have gone for the team, but he hasn't been good himself, so he has contributed to the overall suckiness this season.
He had a great stretch after a rough start, was even making a case for an all-star appearance.
Inconsistent for sure. I imagine he’s pretty close to league average for a starter?

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Mattingly's direct involvement with the hitters is completely unknown. His title is "offensive coordinator", and they have two other clear "hitting coaches". It is obvious that he isn't working day to day with hitters in what would be assumed to be the "hitting coach" duty.

This has become a meme at this point. I'm really not sure what value he brings to the staff, but its a bit silly to pretend like any time a hitter is doing poorly it is somehow his fault, but if a hitter does well it is to someone else's credit. He either has direct control of the hitters, or he doesn't. Lets not pretend like Mattingly is directly "coaching" all of the poor hitters, but Matt Hague is "coaching" all of the guys who are hitting lol.
I've been saying Mattingly is a problem long before it was picked up with others. Since he has been here the team's power and hitting ability declined. Look at last year and many players saw a decline in production. This continued on into earlier this season. Before he got here the team was among the top with slugging percentage. There would naturally be a decline in power due to the moves they made, but it was drastic. At one point this year they were I believe 29th in slugging percentage.

His philosophy isn't current with modern baseball. Donny isn't keen on doing damage. Current baseball is all about doing damage for the most part. Analytics is a big part of the game, and he doesn't strike me as analytical.

Now, we don't know what goes on behind the scenes but we can get clues from broadcasts and articles. Hague was the first one to setup the pitching machine to mimic the starting pitchers repertoire. I am not giving Hague all of the credit. He's probably working with Davis and that's not working out. However, Springer and Loperfido are recent players who the broadcast has said have been working with Hague and they have had success. Hague has been more involved and visible on the bench and the bats have improved. A few days ago, it was mentioned that the Jays bats have a different approach. Hitters want to do damage on certain pitches. This goes against what Mattingly was preaching early on.

It would not shock me that IKF had success with Mattingly because that's the type of player Mattingly wants to work with.

Overall, since he's been with the team, offensive production has dropped a lot. In no way does he deserve to be here next year. He has had a poor track record.

Reactions: KapG

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012

We don't know exactly what he does, but there are a few points that are pretty damn concerning:

1. The year he was hired, the Jays offense took a huge step back.
2. They promoted him the next year, and it took a bigger step back in the first half.
3. Some players, and the team as a whole, have seen a resurgence the last couple months, and they're always seen talking to either Hague or Edwin while we've barely even seen Mattingly on the bench in months.

It's nothing definitive, but I think it's enough to want to see a change.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
We don't know exactly what he does, but there are a few points that are pretty damn concerning:

1. The year he was hired, the Jays offense took a huge step back.
2. They promoted him the next year, and it took a bigger step back in the first half.
3. Some players, and the team as a whole, have seen a resurgence the last couple months, and they're always seen talking to either Hague or Edwin while we've barely even seen Mattingly on the bench in months.

It's nothing definitive, but I think it's enough to want to see a change.

It all might seem superstitious and irrational, but the curse of Donnie Baseball goes far beyond his time with the Jays too.

As a player, many are familiar with the Yanks being WS winners before he made it to the bigs, and after he retired. Then he returned as a coach and the Yanks blew the only 3-0 lead in postseason history.

He was there for the start of the new Dodger dynasty, multiple divisional winning seasons, only to fall flat on their faces come postseason time.

He had one (short, COVID) season over .500 with the Marlins and was let go after 7 unsuccessful years with them. As soon as he comes here, the Jays lose to a team that just snapped the longest active postseason drought in the big 4 sports in NA. And within 3 seasons relegated to the bottom of the division.

The Jays need to cleanse themselves and get rid of the Don.

Reactions: KapG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad