Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v6 | Fri, Sept 13 | vs StL | 7pm ET/4pm PT | TBA vs TBA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That last send was just a bad idea, though.

Eh, the odds Varsho gets a hit next up are 20-25% and the odds that Clement scores there are probably 50/50.

If it was the 2nd out at home or Vladdy was up next it would have been a bad send.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Eh, the odds Varsho gets a hit next up are 20-25% and the odds that Clement scores there are probably 50/50.

If it was the 2nd out at home or Vladdy was up next it would have been a bad send.

My issue is how shallow that ball was. Didn’t even take a particularly good throw to get Clement.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
My issue is how shallow that ball was. Didn’t even take a particularly good throw to get Clement.

It was borderline but Clement is very fast and executing that throw was far from automatic.

I think the math made sense and you’re more likely to score there than Varsho getting a hit next up.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I just dont know about Y-Rod for next year....
He's been super inconsistent, but he's also lined up to be the fifth starter if the Jays don't add anyone. More likely he starts in AAA or moves to the pen or something.

Francis's emergence (assuming he keeps pitching well) has been huge. Rodriguez as a 6th/7th starter or the long man would be pretty solid.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
He pretty much is all you can hope for out of a 5th starter at the moment except for the low innings total (60 IP over 15 starts, so about 4ip/start) but that could be a symptom of him still needing to stretch back out to starting full-time.

Otherwise he's given the team a 4.33 ERA, 4.44 FIP, 1.33 WHIP, and an opposing batting average of .222 while he strikes out about a quarter of the batters he faces, walks just under 12%, and his HR/FB of 12.5% is 3rd among this year's starters, trailing only Bassitt and Gausman.

If this is a starting point, it's a decent one. If he doesn't improve on anything next year except being able to log more innings then that's a serviceable back of the rotation guy or 1st man up. If he can find just a touch more consistency then he's an easy late piece in the rotation behind Gausman, Berrios, Francis, and hopefully Bassitt if he can get his 2023 groove back.

And if he can't get his stamina up to become a full-time starter, then at least he's got the makings of a nice bulk-innings guy for days where there are starter meltdowns or we need a bullpen outing.

I'm not really worried about him at all. Bassitt is probably the more worrisome starter just because he was expected to be a middle-of -the rotation guy and while he does provide that when he's one, he's had more meltdowns this season than he did last and he doesn't seem to be able to dig his way out of them mid-game at all. Fancy stats suggest that last year was an aberration and he probably shouldn't be counted on to be that good, but he still has to get his walks under control (it's the highest walk rate he's posted since 2018)

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
He's been super inconsistent, but he's also lined up to be the fifth starter if the Jays don't add anyone. More likely he starts in AAA or moves to the pen or something.

Francis's emergence (assuming he keeps pitching well) has been huge. Rodriguez as a 6th/7th starter or the long man would be pretty solid.
If the Jays want to splurge on offense in free agency, I think they should piece it together with Francis as the #4 and Rodriguez as the #5, with Bloss as well, and then trade for a cheap innings eater to share the #5 role, like a Stripling type. They also might get Manoah back in the last 1/4 of the season.

Another proven starter would be nice, but if they go out and spend $15M/year on a starter, it would limit what they can do on offense. So I think they should go really cheap on the #5 rotation spot and funnel all of the money into offense.
  1. Gausman
  2. Berrios
  3. Bassitt
  4. Francis
  5. Rodriguez/Bloss/Tiedemann/Very cheap #5/Maybe Manoah

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
It's a pitcher's night. Bello is going to hammer away with the slider. Need to line it the opposite way.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Oh jeez, Buck.

Guys don't practice bunting because you're not going to spend hours a day on a skill you might use once a month if that. Bunting is dumb and is so marginal in its use that it would be foolish to focus on it.

Reactions: canucksfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad