Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v4 |Mon, Jun 17 | vs BOS | 7pm ET/4pm PT | Pivetta vs Kikuchi

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Atrocious umpiring..Quinn Walcott.

As some of the worst ones step aside, this will be a guy people hate to see behind the plate.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This ump is Angel Hernandez level bad.

Made one hilarious strike call in Kikuchi’s favour early and then about 5 blown calls against him since including two ball 4s that were clearly strikes.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Remember how this would have completely unraveled Kikuchi 2 seasons ago? Dude’s made some amazing progress.
Yeah, it's been an amazing transformation. even when he's struggling and being squeezed by the ump, he doesnt panic.

Reactions: MS and Vector

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I imagine he's going to get a stupid-money offer from some panicky, needy team in the off-season but it'd be nice if the Jays can re-sign him at a reasonable price.

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Its amazing Kikuchi got thru 5 innings without a run. Great effort!

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I imagine he's going to get a stupid-money offer from some panicky, needy team in the off-season but it'd be nice if the Jays can re-sign him at a reasonable price.
I think he'll be a 20+per pitcher but for how many seasons would you lock him up?

MK78

Apr 8, 2023
Jays better think of scoring some more runs, they are playing with fire.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I think he'll be a 20+per pitcher but for how many seasons would you lock him up?

I'd probably be comfortable with 4 years on the expectation that you might end up eating a bad year at the end of the deal. He's 32 right now and while he only has about 700 IP in his MLB career, he also has close to 1200 IP from his time in NPB (though he wasn't like some crazy Daisuke Matsuzaka overwork candidate, having an average of like 25 starts and 160-170 innings per NPB season. His 2023 with the Jays was the second highest inning total in a season after only his last year with Seibu before joining the Mariners.) so I'm not sure I'd want to commit like 5-7 years on him since he is a velo guy and not a crafty, Maddux-esque control pitcher who stands a better chance of aging well.

That probably wouldn't be enough though. Some team is going to figure he'll pitch fine until he's 37-38 and give him 6 years.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I'd probably be comfortable with 4 years on the expectation that you might end up eating a bad year at the end of the deal. He's 32 right now and while he only has about 700 IP in his MLB career, he also has close to 1200 IP from his time in NPB (though he wasn't like some crazy Daisuke Matsuzaka overwork candidate, having an average of like 25 starts and 160-170 innings per NPB season. His 2023 with the Jays was the second highest inning total in a season after only his last year with Seibu before joining the Mariners.) so I'm not sure I'd want to commit like 5-7 years on him since he is a velo guy and not a crafty, Maddux-esque control pitcher who stands a better chance of aging well.

That probably wouldn't be enough though. Some team is going to figure he'll pitch fine until he's 37-38 and give him 6 years.
Gausman (31) and Ray (30) got 5 years each with much better track records.

Kikuchi at 33/34 isn't getting close to 6 years. I'd be surprised if he gets 4.

Sonny Gray is probably a good recent comp - he has a much better and longer track record, too, and he signed for 3/75. I think something in the 3/60 range is likely for Kikuchi if he keeps it up the rest of the season.

Reactions: MS

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I like Richards, but I really don't like going to him there. One thing Schneider does well is using relievers based on leverage rather than the inning... except the closer. The closer always pitches the 9th. That's how it was with Romano, and now it's the same with Garcia.

With 2-3-4 coming up in the 8th, that should be Garcia. Then you can go to Richards to face the weaker part of the lineup.

Reactions: canucksfan
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad