Blue Jays GDT: 2024 v4 |Mon, Jun 17 | vs BOS | 7pm ET/4pm PT | Pivetta vs Kikuchi

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
What to do with Horwitz? He might actually help the team at the plate more than Turner. But you can't just DFA Turner. And Vogelbach has been hot lately, so cutting him right now doesn't make sense.

Reactions: hockeywiz542

hockeywiz542

May 26, 2008
Why was Vlad playing 3rd? Are they bringing up Martinez and plan to play him at 1st?
'Wherever the team needs me': Vlad holds his own at third base - MLB.com

“I signed as a third baseman, so it is my favorite position,” Guerrero said through a club interpreter. “But I’m the kind of person and player who thinks that if you can play both corners, first and third the right way, that will give your manager and your team more options -- like today. Regardless of if third is my favorite position, I’ll be prepared. First or third, wherever the team needs me.”

As a rookie, Guerrero’s defense wasn’t exactly inspiring. There’s a reason he made the move across the diamond to first base, where he won a Gold Glove Award in 2022 and has looked like a natural with his quick footwork and good hands. Even if Guerrero can make a start or two a month at third base to optimize the Blue Jays’ lineup, though, that would add some fascinating value, especially as this offense looks for any spark it can get.

“It’s really going to be a lot of fun today to see Vladdy playing third base, but that’s been something we’ve been working on collectively. He’ll get some starts there,” GM Ross Atkins said Sunday on MLB Network Radio. “He’s got an incredible ability and feel for the game of baseball. I think his arm and his hands will allow him to play some third base for us. That’s another way to deploy a lineup that maybe creates a little more offense.”

This defensive formation leaves Justin Turner at first base and Isiah Kiner-Falefa at second, sliding Cavan Biggio and Ernie Clement to the bench for the day.

Manager John Schneider said Guerrero could start at third “a couple days out of a week and a half,” but he reiterated that this isn’t a position change. So many factors outside of Guerrero’s own plan need to line up for it to be a third-base day -- particularly a good matchup for Turner and Vogelbach -- but it looks like the Blue Jays are now comfortable with Guerrero’s side of the bargain.

“Vladdy’s comfortable there,” Schneider said. “Today was kind of a target date with everything that he was working through to put himself in a position to be ready. Vogelbach is swinging the bat well, too, so it worked out today.”

Reactions: Nineteen67

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
I didn't hate it because Kiermaier provided great value for his salary last year, and both he and Varsho put up amazing defensive numbers. There's no reason they couldn't get great value out of both again this year.

The only way it was a bad move was if it prevented them from addressing a bigger need, which I guess it's fair to say it did. They needed a middle-of-the-order bat and they spent their available money on a defense-first CF, a defense-first utility guy, and a solid secondary hitter. That just wasn't good enough given their needs, but I don't think Kiermaier specifically was a bad move. They could have made it work, they just... got half way and decided that was good enough, I guess.
What made is a bad signing is for the exact reasons you just listed. There's no question he's defence is solid but it's not even remotely what was most important to get in the off season. They needed a bat first LF'er or 3B and did what you said instead. That was the failure

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
What to do with Horwitz? He might actually help the team at the plate more than Turner. But you can't just DFA Turner. And Vogelbach has been hot lately, so cutting him right now doesn't make sense.
If he keeps not hitting like he has you can absolutely dfa Turner. He looked like he was gonna be a great signing but did he ever fall off a cliff. It's time for Horwitz to come up and they need to make room. That's Turner or Vogelbach and the latter is making me eat my words lol. Maybe if they eat a bunch of his contract they can trade him but he's no loss to DFA

Reactions: Suntouchable13

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
Problem is Horowitz and Vogelbach are both lefties, so they would be redundant, unless Vladdy is playing 3rd base more often.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
Problem is Horowitz and Vogelbach are both lefties, so they would be redundant, unless Vladdy is playing 3rd base more often.
It sounds like the plan is to at least entertain him at 3rd more often but the point stands. My concern is we shouldn’t be holding back someone that’s ready for the likes of Turner and Vogelbach. The latter is on a run right now but if he gets cold there should be no holding back

Reactions: Suntouchable13

GoonieFace

Jun 24, 2013
The Matrix
It sounds like the plan is to at least entertain him at 3rd more often but the point stands. My concern is we shouldn’t be holding back someone that’s ready for the likes of Turner and Vogelbach. The latter is on a run right now but if he gets cold there should be no holding back
Agreed, no point in waiting, he can only do so much in AAA

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I just got thinking, when is Turner’s wife due to have the baby? I think it’s pretty soon, so there’s your Spencer call up. But after Turner comes back? I don’t know

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Move/option Biggio. It would involve more creativity with your current starters but at least it gets potentially stronger bats in the lineup. Only difference is KK potentially finds more time in the lineup but I’d probably rather have him than Biggio in at this point. This would also make Varsho and/or IKF a backup to Springer in RF but I don’t see a problem there.

C - Jansen/Kirk
1B - Vlad/Horwitz/Turner
2B - Schneider/IKF/Clement/Horwitz
SS - Bichette/IKF/Clement
3B - IKF/Clement/Vlad
LF - Varsho/Schneider
CF - Kiermaier/Varsho
RF - Springer/Varsho
DH - Vogelbach/Turner/whoever else

This also opens up the possibility of calling Barger back up if Vogelbach flounders. It lets Horwitz be the strong side of the platoon with Turner at DH, gives Vladdy less time at 3B, and provides a suitable backup for Springer in RF.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
These guys tattoo baseballs

Walker tossed.. especially tough when you are indeed correct.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Re-signing Kiermaier was the definition of thinking you could make it one more exit before stopping to fuel up.

They should have been delighted to get the value they did out of an old player last year and then walked away.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad