2024 Training Camp Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Sponsor
Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Say what we will about Boll, that is a nice thing to do to root for each player. Can't imagine it any other way but still, cool to see. Cool idea too, even if betting is getting out of hand in the league, haha. :D (I might prefer they do laps every time a player scores, kind of a "support the goalies" initiative.)

Owen Sillinger making the team would be a fun story (he hasn't played any NHL games afaik). Not sure I'll be holding my breath, though, and even if he does, unlikely to last long...

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Question to Jackets fans, how do you see the lines distributed? You have: Fantili, Monahan, Jenner, Johnson, Sillinger, Marchenko, Chinakhov and Voronkov who are legit candidates for top 6. Also, who do you see on the PP?

Who do you see as the better player between Chinakhov and Voronkov? Who will produce more this year in your opinion?
I think you could slot Chinakov into Laine's role this year and he wouldn't miss a beat if he's healthy..

I don't think he'll be a PPG player, but I think he could bring just as much value in his smart plays and just being more of physical than Laine.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I think you could slot Chinakov into Laine's role this year and he wouldn't miss a beat if he's healthy..

I don't think he'll be a PPG player, but I think he could bring just as much value in his smart plays and just being more of physical than Laine.
Chinakhov will score more goals and more points than Laine next year, and every year moving forward. IMO

He could still improve his defensive “awareness” a bit, and he’s not an overly agile/“shifty” player, but, his physical strength and skating has improved drastically in just a few years, as it shows what (and how quickly) a player can change or improve, when he ACTUALLY commits. I’d be extremely interested in seeing him get PK time also, he has a very good stick defensively, and would be a threat the opposing teams would have to worry about. 100% a better option than guys like KJ or Sillinger.

Look at Chinakhov’s SOG and PP numbers in relation to other “shooters” around the league. With Laine gone, and opportunities now available to others more deserving, we could see Chinakhov triple his SOG numbers, and you know, actually score some PP goals.

I see Chinakhov as this years “breakout” player. Possibly on a league wide level. I wasn’t always sold on him to start, but, the shot and offensive ability cannot be denied, and he’s improved his skating so much that he’s able to make space for himself, and quite literally skate past people, in order to get shots off regularly.

As a “young Russian” coming over, he’s progressed about as good as we could have hoped for. IMO, right now regarding the forwards, he’s 2nd to Fantilli when I’m thinking long term. 50 goal (90pt) potential.

Reactions: puckgoalnet

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia

The most important factor is coaching. Evason is a top coach who can play to the strengths of the players and at least partially cover up weaknesses. That's why I believe that Chinakhov, Voronkov and Sillinger will show their qualities. Of course not only them, but personally I am most interested in this trio + Provorov, Malatesta and Tarasov.

Last edited:
Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
It can't? Removing last year's best PP goal scorer (and 2nd best the year before) from the PP altogether doesn't sound like a smart experiment.
It's training camp, it's gonna get shuffled.

Guys get hurt, players rotate in and out.

And once again, we're talking about a PP that hasn't been threatening in years, I'm open to new combos and ideas.

Reactions: puckgoalnet

LJ7

#80 #13
Mar 19, 2021
Ohio

No clue how to read that but I'm assuming:

------------ Jenner
Johnson - Monahan - Chinakhov
----------- Werenski

------------- JVR
Sillinger - Voronkov - Fantilli
------- Provorov/Severson

It is what it is....
There are a lot of options for the PP on the roster, I would be surprised if Marchenko is not on either unit on opening night though. That PP1 listed will have zone entry issues unless Johnson and/or Chinakhov have taken some leaps

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

It can't? Removing last year's best PP goal scorer (and 2nd best the year before) from the PP altogether doesn't sound like a smart experiment.

I don't understand why our best shooter is on the left wall as a lefty. Wouldn't we get the most out of his shot on the right side? With a righty on the left side to feed him?

Reactions: VT

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
I don't understand why our best shooter is on the left wall as a lefty. Wouldn't we get the most out of his shot on the right side? With a righty on the left side to feed him?
At this point it can't get any worse so why not try some stuff out.

And once again, we're talking about a PP that hasn't been threatening in years, I'm open to new combos and ideas.

:sarcasm:

But to answer your question, Chinakhov might actually be more effective on the left than the right. He's lacked consistency in puck handling and pass reception, and it's no surprise you rarely see him fire one timers even from that right flank spot that is usually considered ideal for LH players. He's not the quickest tight area shooter either (takes time to get the shot off), he's more dangerous when shooting in motion and there's enough space in front of him.

Reactions: majormajor

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
At this point it can't get any worse so why not try some stuff out.

:sarcasm:

But to answer your question, Chinakhov might actually be more effective on the left than the right. He's lacked consistency in puck handling and pass reception, and it's no surprise you rarely see him fire one timers even from that right flank spot that is usually considered ideal for LH players. He's not the quickest tight area shooter either (takes time to get the shot off), he's more dangerous when shooting in motion and there's enough space in front of him.
It also allows KJ to be a better playmaker on the right hand side. But Chinny really excels at that right point spot imo.

That only works because it's a 5-3. If it's a 5-4 he doesn't have the time to set for that shot.

Compared to here

He looks so comfortable on that right point, not only shooting, but playmaking from the point

Either way, I'm going to give Evason the benefit of the doubt to start the season.

Last edited:

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
LDBB and TFW have nice chemistry, give and go and LDBB almost snuck one in

Owen has some nice wheels.

Elick looks pretty confident with the puck and holy hell is he big.

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137
Good timing, right place, right time for the Fimis garbage goal.

Christiansen playing pretty aggressively. I think it was Harris seemed to be playing the same way

Pinelli throwing a lot of pucks on net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad