Transfer: 2024 Summer Transfer Window - Closed Window Discussion

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I know Saudi have no FFP or money related issue but they know that they could most likely obtain him for half that price right?
That would still be a significant overpayment TBH.

He's on significant wages and still has 2 years left on his contract. Given how awful he played this year, United should be happy to just let him go in order to clear wages. Getting a fee for him would be a pure bonus.

Reactions: Gecklund

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Man that 100m release clause for Bruno G looking like a bargain

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
That would still be a significant overpayment TBH.

He's on significant wages and still has 2 years left on his contract. Given how awful he played this year, United should be happy to just let him go in order to clear wages. Getting a fee for him would be a pure bonus.
I read that accounting for all possible bonuses, 42 million would mean his transfer fee would be covered for FFP purposes.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I read that accounting for all possible bonuses, 42 million would mean his transfer fee would be covered for FFP purposes.
He was bought for 70m amortized over 5 years. So 14m/year which means that, yes, 42M is left over.

However he's also making something like 350k/week (or ~18m/year) which means that although selling him would mean accounting for the 42m still outstanding, 18 of that is offset be simply zeroing out his salary this year, so ~24m is all that would be needed to actually break even FFP.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
If he'd continued to play like he did the first year, it wouldn't have been that bad a deal. He was excellent.

He absolutely retired this year and is only collecting a paycheck now though.
It was like half way through his first year (or like 3/4) when he got that red card at Palace for the stupid off the ball incident. Since then he’s been bad.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I used to think that’s all he was good for but his passing and timely attacks in the box was pretty underrated
Yeah definitely Casemiro is underrated in possession. Issue is that he can’t keep up with the play and Mainoo was better in possession for United this season. So when you can’t defend and are the secondary outlet in possession, you’re gonna look pretty useless.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
He was still what 30?

In what world was 70, and paying him 350k a week not a complete bonehead move.

Sure, he was better last year. But most people with a brain could have surmised that at some point the cliff would come. It happens to a lot of central midfielders. He shouldn't have been as bad as he's been at times... but that type of money, even spread out over the length of the contract is stupid.

Reactions: KJS14

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
He was still what 30?

In what world was 70, and paying him 350k a week not a complete bonehead move.

Sure, he was better last year. But most people with a brain could have surmised that at some point the cliff would come. It happens to a lot of central midfielders. He shouldn't have been as bad as he's been at times... but that type of money, even spread out over the length of the contract is stupid.
It was never going to be a value purchase, but I think if United got what they did the first year again this year and even for half of next, it would have largely been an decent transfer. As much as Jussi goes on and on about FFP hindering United, they usually get the guy they want without concern for price and it's not as if 70m for Casemiro would have been the worst money they've spent recently. It may not even be top 3.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
It was never going to be a value purchase, but I think if United got what they did the first year again this year and even for half of next, it would have largely been an decent transfer. As much as Jussi goes on and on about FFP hindering United, they usually get the guy they want without concern for price and it's not as if 70m for Casemiro would have been the worst money they've spent recently. It may not even be top 3.
I mean, sure, they've lit other money on fire. But 70 million, PLUS 350k in wages (if that's what it actually is) over 5 years makes it worth closer to another 91 million. You can't take the fee in the vacuum, sure, but just because they've screwed up arguably worse, doesn't make it a decent transfer anyhow.

I get it's United and with their off the field revenue, it doesn't really matter too much. But it's a pretty bad transfer. 2 years of his play at that level (he was pretty good last year, but wasn't absurd) for that much money, is just not good use of resources. That's why they are where they are. They've lit a pile of money on fire and effectively given up most of the economic advantage they should have.

We have the ability to dissect the move, because at this point, it does look really bad and he has fallen off the cliff. But anyone who was out there saying, a 30 year old, with likely minimal tread left on the tires, having already done a decade plus of high usage, when he's never been the most athletically gifted getting up and down the pitch, for that cost, should lose their job.

There's a team who might need a winner to where Casemiro on a short term might make some sense. But for 70 and basically the second highest wages? Defend it if you want, but it's stupidity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad