GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
That number sounds like he was just happy to find a spot.

Now he will be a FA again next summer and he probably hopes there will be more demand then.
The guy can score around 18-20 goals with limited ice time. But we prefer Harvey-Pinard, Pezzetta and Barré-Boulet??

Reactions: ReHabs

vokiel

#MolsonIsntWine
Jan 31, 2007
Montréal
I think they’ll be better assuming they stay healthy. Dach alone will solidify the 2nd line and kids are all a little older and seasoned. That being said, a last year of bottom 10 wouldn’t be the worst to finish off the rebuild and have several 10’s of millions in cap and open roster spots for 2025-26 season.

Still lots of time left before season starts and no one Habs were rumoured to be looking at have moved yet so still possible to get them.
I don't remember when's the last time assuming a healthy season paid off. No matter, the depth they have is a little better than last season, so I expect a better performance also.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I don't remember when's the last time assuming a healthy season paid off. No matter, the depth they have is a little better than last season, so I expect a better performance also.
I feel they need one top six scoring winger and they’ll have a good top 6 that’ll only be improved when Demigod makes his way into the roster.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
That number sounds like he was just happy to find a spot.

Now he will be a FA again next summer and he probably hopes there will be more demand then.

Most likely won't be, he's hanging around but will go the Andrighetto route.

The guy can score around 18-20 goals with limited ice time. But we prefer Harvey-Pinard, Pezzetta and Barré-Boulet??

Yes.

Also weird to include ABB who is most likely a Laval signing.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
I'm always amazed by the amount of fans who think we are trying to win next season. Even more amazed by those who think Daniel Sprong help us doing that.
What does 'trying to win' mean?

Does it mean trying to win more points than last year? Trying to lose fewer 1-goal games? Trying to not be bottom5 in a 32 team league?

Hughes, Gorton, and Molson all said they want more than last year. So what do you think is amazing about the notion?

dcyhabs

May 30, 2008
Montreal
Sprong puts up numbers but has trouble getting ice time or staying with a team. Unless your dev team thinks they can work with him leave him to others.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

Does it mean trying to win more points than last year? Trying to lose fewer 1-goal games? Trying to not be bottom5 in a 32 team league?

Hughes, Gorton, and Molson all said they want more than last year. So what do you think is amazing about the notion?

Imo Hughes at a certain point in the season gets that itch to be better next season, and speaks publicly based on that.

But when the offseason comes and it's time to make decisions that affect both next season and the future, he has so far done what is best for the future, even if it means we won't be that much better next year.

After this upcoming season, Dvo, Armia, and Savard will be off the books, plus the retention from Petry and Allen. Next offseason should interesting to see what ufa or trade Hughes is involved in.

And I wouldn't be against adding another Reinbacher or Demidov level prospect with a good draft pick - and giving Armia, Dvo, and Anderson good ice time to get their production up and get a good return by trade deadline. Would be nice to get 2nds for Armia and Dvo and ship Anderson out without retaining much. Hopefully Savard brings another 2nd, or even a 1st. We could use the 2nds to move up with the Florida pick.

Deus ex machina

Sep 12, 2023
Imo Hughes at a certain point in the season gets that itch to be better next season, and speaks publicly based on that.

But when the offseason comes and it's time to make decisions that affect both next season and the future, he has so far done what is best for the future, even if it means we won't be that much better next year.

After this upcoming season, Dvo, Armia, and Savard will be off the books, plus the retention from Petry and Allen. Next offseason should interesting to see what ufa or trade Hughes is involved in.

And I wouldn't be against adding another Reinbacher or Demidov level prospect with a good draft pick - and giving Armia, Dvo, and Anderson good ice time to get their production up and get a good return by trade deadline. Would be nice to get 2nds for Armia and Dvo and ship Anderson out without retaining much. Hopefully Savard brings another 2nd, or even a 1st. We could use the 2nds to move up with the Florida pick.
The cap space they will gain next summer will be used to pay Slaf and Guhle, so the cap situation should look similar to what it looks now.
They have plenty of cap space now though. If they don't use it, it'll still be available next summer.

There's no reason really to wait until next offseason to make a trade, other than if none that makes sense is available this summer.
But there's no guarantee one will be available next offseason either, so the sooner the better.

Reactions: 26Mats

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

We still have lots of tankers here.

Reactions: Spring in Fialta

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Sprong puts up numbers but has trouble getting ice time or staying with a team. Unless your dev team thinks they can work with him leave him to others.
I like secondary scoring (goals), especially when they come with reasonable defensive numbers.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The cap space they will gain next summer will be used to pay Slaf and Guhle, so the cap situation should look similar to what it looks now.
They have plenty of cap space now though. If they don't use it, it'll still be available next summer.

There's no reason really to wait until next offseason to make a trade, other than if none that makes sense is available this summer.
But there's no guarantee one will be available next offseason either, so the sooner the better.
True. They get about 16M next season in cap space next season and then Slaf takes up about 8M. I don't think Guhle takes up 8M, but he should get a good chunk.

Yes, it's more about waiting to get the right pkayer in the right deal. If no move is made, hopefully Armia, Dvo, and Anderson can get good ice time and be shipped out in a way that maximizes their respective returns. They key is finding the right role for each.

I liked Armia with Newhook and Roy or Gallagher. Then one of Anderson or Dvo could potentially produce playing with Roy. For maximizing trade potential, perhaps Gallagher is put on the 4th line until there is an injury, assuming he's unmovable.

CC - Suzuki - Slaf
Anderson - Dach - Dvo
Roy - Newhook - Armia
RHP - Evan's- Gally
Pez

Dvo probably gets the 3c spot. But I think he could produce playing on Dach's wing.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal

4.45+3.4+3.5+2.343+1.925= 15.618

Slaf extension dif (6.65) + Guhle extension dif (5 or so) = 11.65

So that's still 4 millions freed not counting the cap increase.

The 3 roster spot of Armia, Dvorak and Savard get taken by ELC guys (Beck/Kapanen, Demidov, Mailloux/Reinbacher), leaving the money for upgrades.

Shipping/buying out Gallagher and Anderson becomes more manageable as well.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
I'm always amazed by the amount of fans who think we are trying to win next season. Even more amazed by those who think Daniel Sprong help us doing

I could see a case being made for a bottom 6 role since there's not a whole lot there as far as the future goes. When I see that number though, it becomes evident that there was little demand for him. It kind of reminds of late career Thomas vanek where the goals and assists columns don't look terrible, but he does not seem to be attractive as an overall commodity.

For top 6, I don't know know. Part of me thinks they are going to give Roy and newhook alot of opportunity to see what they can do in that context which will help make decisions about those spots moving forward.

When this team signs veterans, it's usually short term with the intention of flipping. Maybe they made an offer which was denied, or maybe they just didn't forecast a market for him at the deadline.

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
I doubt it. As long as Dach stays healthy and there aren't a lot of significant injuries no one will want to tank. If no one is added before the season (like a centre to be 2c) and Dach goes down the tank may well be back in play.
Still need all of 3rd line, 4th line and about 3 solid D.

Reactions: ReHabs

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Still need all of 3rd line, 4th line and about 3 solid D.
True but they need to start giving players like Suzuki hope. And if Dach is healthy they have the scoring lines, defense and goaltending to finish in the middle of the pack. If they are close to a playoff position at the deadline Hughes will probably add some expiring vet contracts to give them every chance to make it.

Reactions: The Real Timo

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

OMG ok i'll draw you something.

It means ... drum roll ... winning games. Not sure what else there is to win in hockey outside of the cup.

KH focus atm is clearly not to win games or else he would manage his team like Ottawa or Detroit. Right now his focus is still development of young players and drafting. Now obviously he wants his team to win more games than last year but he wants it to happen via progression of young players and not by signing useless vets like Sprong. That will more than likely change in the summer of 2025 specially if the team progress a little this season which i think it will.

As for why Vancouver signed Sprong? For them it's cheap depth for the regular season just in case there's many injuries. They are trying to win a cup and having more bodies is never a bad thing. Savard did the same in 92-93 when he brought in guys like Ramage and Leeman who were not good anymore and barely played in playoffs but were vet bodies lying around just in case.

If you think not wanting Daniel Sprong to be around our kids is being a tanker then i beg to differ.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Sporadic at best.
Looking to improve is not tanking there aren't very many posts I've read that want an outright tank.
It's time to start winning games but realistically as it stands today we are still in the bubble at best.
I'll agree a large number of people looked at this year's UFA crop beforehand and passed but that isn't Pro Tank it's just smart.
HuGo made their pitch and it was always going to come down to term for the players that garnered some attention...

We are definitely going to be making a trade before puck drop 2024/2025.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I could see a case being made for a bottom 6 role since there's not a whole lot there as far as the future goes. When I see that number though, it becomes evident that there was little demand for him. It kind of reminds of late career Thomas vanek where the goals and assists columns don't look terrible, but he does not seem to be attractive as an overall commodity.

For top 6, I don't know know. Part of me thinks they are going to give Roy and newhook alot of opportunity to see what they can do in that context which will help make decisions about those spots moving forward.

When this team signs veterans, it's usually short term with the intention of flipping. Maybe they made an offer which was denied, or maybe they just didn't forecast a market for him at the deadline.
KH will probably get his vets like he always does. He'll acquire guys during the season or the camp as cap dump in a trade.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Sporadic at best.
Looking to improve is not tanking there aren't very many posts I've read that want an outright tank.
It's time to start winning games but realistically as it stands today we are still in the bubble at best.
I'll agree a large number of people looked at this year's UFA crop beforehand and passed but that isn't Pro Tank it's just smart.
HuGo made their pitch and it was always going to come down to term for the players that garnered some attention...

We are definitely going to be making a trade before puck drop 2024/2025.

I think next summer is when they will try to turn a corner in this development path. Suzuki would be entering his 26 year old season.

That doesn't mean that they will be cup contenders in 25/26, but I think the mindset will shift more to the present.

Reactions: Rapala

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad