GDT: 2024 Summer Free Agency (July 1st)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I'm surprised the Bolts downgraded on D to improve upfront. I thought their defense was their biggest weakness in the playoffs. I'm not sure McDonaugh is enough to get them to the finals.
They didn't have Sergachev until the end of the series vs Florida. They've added McDonagh and Moser. We'll see if it makes a difference.

Reactions: Hope Of Glory

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Guentzel to Tampa is happening. Still have to agree on a contract, but it’s looking like that’s pretty much a formality at this point.
When a team trades for negotiation rights they most likely already started the process and just need the papers to get signed.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Habs still want them...for some reasons.

I think that's not quite accurate...

Appears to me that the Habs take the approach of fully supporting the guys in-house, and doing what they can to set them up for success, even if they aren't long term solutions.

Judging by the player acquisitions this group has made, and the contracts given out, they have a clear picture of what they need to see to hand out $ & term.

Anderson, Gally, Dvorak, Armia... These were inherited mistakes, not self inflicted ones. I get & support the approach they've taken with each so far. If Anderson is here come Sept, and plus the same way he did most of last year in camp, I'd expect the Armia treatment will be in order sooner than later

Reactions: BLONG7

Kents polished head

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
We can't ice the same group as last year. Another year of losing being acceptable will turn these young guys into a bunch of Dvoraks.

100% agreed on the fact some kind of step has to be taken.

Might not have to be a playoffs team, but those guys must:

A) Play meaningful games after the all star break.
B) Have good linemates to play with.

Lines change throughout the season, and we're one Caufield injury away from having the power donkey playing with Suzuki and Slaf.

It does not have to be a Patrick Kane or a big name. Just a guy who can play on a PP2 and provide Dach with a good winger.

I also think "2025-2026 is the season we become competitive" shortsighted and downright stupid.

As if you go from a lottery team to a competitive team in an instant.

There is a middleground in between those two steps and it needs to be taken at some point.

I completely get behind the fact that we're not at a point where we should acquire building blocks on huge UFA contracts yet. But once again, things can get done on the market that help you take a little step on the shortterm.

Last edited:

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Man, if LA goes big fish hunting tomorrow and spend a lot of their cap space to the point where they can only bridge Byfield, I would OS him. 1y/9,15m for a 1sr, 2nd, 3rd.

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Newhook-Dach-Demidov
Roy-Byfield-Hage

Is an insane top 9. You get basically 3 first lines

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Drafting Demidov changes things a lot, IMO. No need to “tank” this coming season, we probably have a franchise scorer in the fold now. I’d make a serious push for Stammer, even if Detroit is the favorite to land him.
With so many years in the south I'm wondering if he's willing to go that north of Florida.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Man, if LA goes big fish hunting tomorrow and spend a lot of their cap space to the point where they can only bridge Byfield, I would OS him. 1y/9,15m for a 1sr, 2nd, 3rd.

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Newhook-Dach-Demidov
Roy-Byfield-Hage

That's a good one.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Newhook-Dach-Demidov
Roy-Byfield-Hage

Insane idea.

Bergevin have been fooled at this game once. And it looks like a bunch of dummies running this org. Maybe it happen again!

zx81

Aug 2, 2005
Would you guys like to see Perry back ?
Not my first choice but I would not be against it. Could help the pp.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Either we do something substantial that would push us in contention to make the playoffs or we do nothing and go for another top 10 pick for next draft.

If it was me, I would like our young players to start playing to win and learn to play with something to lose. IMHO, it’s part of proper development.

So here it is :

Stamkos or Marchessault on a 3-4 years contract. This would make us a dual threat up front with two good scoring lines, baring Dach missing large amount of games again. This move blocks nobody in terms of young players. The other spot is vacant and up for grab for either Roy or Newhook. I think one of them will be able to produce with two legit offensive players.

Next season (2025-2026), Demidov comes in and maybe one of Beck or Kapanen can play 3C with Roy and Newhook as their wingers.

In 3-4 years, Hage comes in and take Stamkos/Marchessault spot on the top 6.

But like I said, if you can’t sign that kind of game changer to a short/mid term contract, you do nothing and aim at a last top 10 pick next draft.

HABitual Fan

May 22, 2007
Tomorrow teams will pull out their credit cards and overpay for UFA's like every year. I don't expect Hughes to join them. My feeling is he will be looking at the guys on expiring contracts with a sweetener these teams will have to move, when they get the bill and need to make moves to be cap compliant. An added bonus is since he didn't sign them, and owes them nothing, they can be sent to Laval to bolster the lineup there if they don't win an NHL spot, maybe find our own Gaudette or like Armia last year for a short period

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017

Caufield-Suzuki-Slaf
Newhook-Dach-Demidov
Roy-Byfield-Hage

I would not be giving up our 1st from next year... I'm just about 100% sure Kent will not do this unprotected. It would be insanity.

I'm just hoping teams pay up so much that the contracts we have start to look ok... then we can move some!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad