OT: 2024 Soccer and Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
So close yet so far.
The boys should be proud of how far they come but definitely threw the game away today.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
So frustrating because Canada just threw it away.

After the 2nd goal, it was just needless fouls and atrocious defending.

Really too bad.

M2Beezy

Love ya Grubster
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Man I love Suarez what a career. Great clutch player, tho felt he had packed it in til that goal. What perseverance after missing the obvious pas to the open guy a minute before the goal. Anyways super looking fwd to the final tomorrow, cheering for underdog Colombia 🇨🇴

Reactions: Lindgren

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
Man I love Suarez what a career. Great clutch player, tho felt he had packed it in til that goal. What perseverance after missing the obvious pas to the open guy a minute before the goal. Anyways super looking fwd to the final tomorrow, cheering for underdog Colombia 🇨🇴
? nobody likes suarez lmao

Reactions: Bubbles

LandfiII

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
His red card save against Ghana and the fact he kinda looks like Burrows makes me not hate Suarez as much as others do 🤣
All I really know is he bit some dudes and he's South American so it means he bites people when he's not pretending he's dead. He's just a face in the crowd.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Although the tournament came to crushing end for Canada, it's almost impossible to overstate the importance of this chapter in the history of Canadian soccer.

Canada was actually a far better side than Ecuador on the day.....but again a lack of finish and a massive defensive lapse at the end, was the difference. Penalty kicks are basically a crapshoot.

But beginning with the friendlies in Europe against the Dutch and France, and moving through the COPA America tournament, you could this squad grow in stature and confidence. Now, far more top-flight teams will want to engage Canada in exhibitions, as one of the top CONCACAF teams.

And don't underestimate the impact of Jesse Marsh. He's determined to scour the world for talent to make this Canadian team much more than an afterthought in the World Cup in two years time.

3rd Sedin

Dec 15, 2010
Regina
I thought Marsch was crazy when he unveiled the starting lineup. He basically started a B team against a top 15 side, and we turned out to be the much better side.

The 4-5-1 seems to suit us really well. Lots of quick passing in tight quarters and we owned the middle of the park. Choinere really impressed me with his calmness and decision making. Kone looks like he could be the best player on the team in a few years. Cornelius is a rock back there, and Bombito has a great ceiling. Schaffelburg should be taking our corners from now on.

Not sure what the plan was in stoppage time. Pad the goals count in the tournament? Suarez made sure that plan came back to bite us.

We still gained FIFA points losing in PKs. Time to continue that momentum and best US and Mexico in September!

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
? nobody likes suarez lmao

LOL I hate him and I'm a Barca fan. The guy bit 3 people and possibly another in the last Uruguay game. Also denied Ghana from going to the semis.

Funny enough I remember seeing him in a u17 match at Swangard back in the day.

Reactions: God

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
LOL I hate him and I'm a Barca fan. The guy bit 3 people and possibly another in the last Uruguay game. Also denied Ghana from going to the semis.

Funny enough I remember seeing him in a u17 match at Swangard back in the day.

Wasn't he here for the U20 World Cup? Along with guys like Pato, Pique, Mata, Cavani.

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
Congrats to Spain! 4th time champions, and they were the best throughout the tournament.

Seeing England lose is like seeing the Oilers lose in Game 7. :laugh: Southgate gets to disappoint for another 4 years lol. They played scared football through the games and always hoped they would equalize late in games.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Congrats to Spain! 4th time champions, and they were the best throughout the tournament.

Seeing England lose is like seeing the Oilers lose in Game 7. :laugh: Southgate gets to disappoint for another 4 years lol. They played scared football through the games and always hoped they would equalize late in games.
England were total frauds and had one of the easiest groups and path towards the finals.

Thankfully Southgate did just enough to blow it again.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
England were total frauds and had one of the easiest groups and path towards the finals.

As a fan without a rooting interest, I think this is an exaggeration.

England lost 2-1 on a late goal to the best team in the tournament. If they were "total frauds," then Southgate is to be congratulated for getting them that far. A fraudulent team has nothing to "blow."

The final was full of glorious soccer, amazing individual and collective skill from both sides.

Last edited:

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004

Yep, the minute they faced an actual decent side, they folded.

Southgate absolutely deserves all the criticism for playing scared football with that talent in the lineup. Arguably, one of their greatest collection of players and he plays like 2004 Greece.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad