OT: 2024 Soccer and Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Off topic on the cap but where do the whitecaps practice? Cause the news announced that Killarney and another site are closed for renovations for the World Cup? Figured they would have used the whitecaps facility. Possibly the lions as well? Not sure what the cfl is going to do for the Leo’s during that 4 weeks? All in the road? So I guess they do come home and practice.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Off topic on the cap but where do the whitecaps practice? Cause the news announced that Killarney and another site are closed for renovations for the World Cup? Figured they would have used the whitecaps facility. Possibly the lions as well? Not sure what the cfl is going to do for the Leo’s during that 4 weeks? All in the road? So I guess they do come home and practice.
Canada will use the Whitecaps practice facility at the National Soccer Development Centre at UBC.

We will have at least 3 other teams in the city and all will need their own practice facilities. If I recall correctly, FIFA also mandates that the officiating crew have their own practice pitch as well :laugh:

I think this will be the only investment into public infrastructure. Unlike the 2010 Olympics, there's really nothing else to write home about in terms of long-term benefits for the public.

Reactions: Lindgren

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
I’ve been running at memorial for the past few years. Excited to see the facility upgrades, but time to start looking for a new track… memorial was always quiet and not busy. Going to be impossible to find a similar location nearby.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
They've done well to come back to lead 3-2, but the long VAR delay cut into their rhythm and gave up a cheap goal.

That being said, I'm concerned if Gauld's out for long.
f*** the MLS. Just a never ending nightmare of bullshit against this franchise.

Reactions: Bubbles

canadianmagpie

Jan 26, 2010
f*** the MLS. Just a never ending nightmare of bullshit against this franchise.

I don't know how that wasn't a foul for a penalty. It was either not worthy enough to send him to the monitor but the contact was there that caused Fafa to be tripped. Should have been 4-2 but it was quickly 3-3.

Reactions: Red

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Count me as being 'underwhelmed' by the Caps goaltending. At least couple of those goals in a 4-3 loss to Houston, should have been saved imo. For whatever reason, their guy just looks 'small' in the net and slow to react to high volleys.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
Wow.. this news about the Canadian women’s team spying on their opponents is crazy. Embarrassing that it’s not even the first time we’ve been accused of this.

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wow.. this news about the Canadian women’s team spying on their opponents is crazy. Embarrassing that it’s not even the first time we’ve been accused of this.
Totally bizarre.....I mean what are you actually going to learn from a drone flying around a team practice anyway?

Has to be some sort of rogue official on the Women's Team.....they need to pack him or her on a plane and send them home.

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
Totally bizarre.....I mean what are you actually going to learn from a drone flying around a team practice anyway?

Has to be some sort of rogue official on the Women's Team.....they need to pack him or her on a plane and send them home.
It’s a crazy story but not the first time the words “drone”, “soccer”, “spying”, and “Canada” have appeared in the news.

• Haha
Reactions: DFAC

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It’s a crazy story but not the first time the words “drone”, “soccer”, “spying”, and “Canada” have appeared in the news.
I mean drones are everywhere, but they're hardly invisible. How could anyone pilot a drone over a soccer field and have it hovering around, and then expect nobody to actually spot it?

These people aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. Just too bad Canadian soccer got dragged into this fiasco.

Reactions: Red and Jyrki21

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Casual fan here:
Not having Gauld for the Wrexham friendly isn’t going to help get any more casuals to go to non “event “ games
This is not a Whitecaps event per se – they are just being the opposition in a Wrexham tour. I doubt they care much about it and will probably field very few starters.

The fans who do come are more likely to be there for the Wrexham/Reynolds connection.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
This is not a Whitecaps event per se – they are just being the opposition in a Wrexham tour. I doubt they care much about it and will probably field very few starters.

The fans who do come are more likely to be there for the Wrexham/Reynolds connection.

Yeah it's just going to be a slow paced casual game by both teams not wanting to get injured. Paying hundreds of dollars to see glimpses of Ryan Reynolds 1-2km away is just silly.

Meanwhile I managed to snag 4 tickets for a Vancouver FC game with a discount code. Total? $40.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
This whole drone spying stuff is embarassing. At first it sounded like it was some weird fan who was recording footage, but it clearly goes deeper than that with Priestman dismissed from the team.

If this is the reason why our national teams have had success in the past 5 years... I don't know how to feel about that. Ugh.

Reactions: Bubbles

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Kinda' depressing really. The Canadian men's side acquitted itself so admirably at COPA America, taking all the crap from unruly fans and officials, and holding their heads high.

And the women's side are the reigning Olympic champions and a credit to the game in Canada--up until this fiasco.

But I guess if their coach was sent home, then there must more to this story than we realize.

Red

Dec 14, 2002
VanCity
Visit site
Canada Soccer needs to be purged so Kevin Blue and Jesse Marsch can just start over again.

So much money, reputation, and possibility to grow the game lost for a very special generation of players, both on the men's and women's side, just because of the mismanagement of Canada Soccer as an organization.

This whole drone spying stuff is embarassing. At first it sounded like it was some weird fan who was recording footage, but it clearly goes deeper than that with Priestman dismissed from the team.

If this is the reason why our national teams have had success in the past 5 years... I don't know how to feel about that. Ugh.
Apparently the CMNT and CWNT staff have been doing this for years under Herdman and Priestman. Which is idiotic because there's very little you can glean from training that you can't glean from watching tape, especially considering the hefty risk that went into doing this for such a long period of time. Shameful and overall unnecessary considering the quality of players we have. Shows that the coaches were tactically insecure and inadequate. Get rid of the lot and start fresh.

Reactions: Bubbles and God

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve
'Unaccredited analyst' at centre of Olympic drone scandal is senior Canada Soccer official.

Joseph Lombardi remains employed as a national youth program director.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/joseph-lombardi-canada-soccer-drone-1.7275499

Canada Soccer is such a joke. No wonder Herdman got the hell out of Dodge at the earliest opportunity. Thought it was some low level volunteer but it turns out to be a senior official. 🤡

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
'Unaccredited analyst' at centre of Olympic drone scandal is senior Canada Soccer official.

Joseph Lombardi remains employed as a national youth program director.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/joseph-lombardi-canada-soccer-drone-1.7275499

Canada Soccer is such a joke. No wonder Herdman got the hell out of Dodge at the earliest opportunity. Thought it was some low level volunteer but it turns out to be a senior official. 🤡

It sounds like Herdman was neck deep in this too.

What an absolute embarrassment. This story is getting worse and worse and is going to get bigger and bigger.

Even Hockey Canada is probably like ‘man, this is pathetic’.

Reactions: Red and Bubbles

Bubbles

Die Hard for Bedard 2023
Apr 16, 2004
BC Teams:Nucks,Juve

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
If these reports are true, it makes you wonder how in the world Canadian soccer officials got away with this as long as they did.

We're now finding out that drone surveillance of the other team's 'closed door practice sessions' has been standard operating procedure for Canada Soccer for years.

You have to assume that the fact this hasn't come out before, may mean that other countries are doing the same thing. But that's no excuse. I'm with other posters.

Time to lower the boom on Soccer Canada....sack the lot of them, and start over again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad