Blue Jays Discussion: 2024 Season (better title pending)

Epictetus

YNWA
Jan 2, 2010
Ontario
He must have convinced them this year was a fluky bad year compared to making the playoffs the years prior. But, just like the fans knew this team would struggle offensively, we will revisit this again next year when the team misses the playoffs again and questions are asked again.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
1723567284833.png

Really cements how bad the bullpen is.

Hitting was bad at times but the Jays are surprisingly 15th in position player WAR. A healthy Bo and bullpen has this team in a wild card spot.

That said, i think a rebuild/retool is better suited in my eyes but a few key moves and new Manager could have this team back in the playoffs next year.

Reactions: canucksfan

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Josh Kasevich raking pretty good early at AAA, with an ~830ops.
Charles McAdoo scuffling abit at AA, but hit his first bomb last night.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Josh Kasevich raking pretty good early at AAA, with an ~830ops.
Charles McAdoo scuffling abit at AA, but hit his first bomb last night.
I'm not confident Kasevich will have enough power (it's basically zero) to be anything other than a utility infielder, but guys like Clement and Jimenez were similar and developed enough pop to become viable major leaguers.

Reactions: aingefan

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
I'm not confident Kasevich will have enough power (it's basically zero) to be anything other than a utility infielder, but guys like Clement and Jimenez were similar and developed enough pop to become viable major leaguers.

His EV's are above-average. Its the same as his profile out of College: he hits the ball very hard, but there is no loft in his swing, so its a ton of hard contact hit directly into the ground. Its been pretty consistent 100+ mph EV in his short stint in Buffalo so far.

Alan Roden is similar, but he hits the ball even harder. He's been up to 110+ mph EV on multiple occasions.

Both guys have the capability of hitting for much more power, if they can lift the ball into the air more often.

Buffalo is really fun to follow on Statcast.

Reactions: canucksfan

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
View attachment 900766

Hitting was bad at times but the Jays are surprisingly 15th in position player WAR. A healthy Bo and bullpen has this team in a wild card spot.

That said, i think a rebuild/retool is better suited in my eyes but a few key moves and new Manager could have this team back in the playoffs next year.

Feels like Romano's been gone for ages - and even when he was here he was unreliable this season. Is he confirmed done for the season or what's the latest there?

Clearly the rest of the 'pen - combined with Schneider's ham-fisted attempts at utilizing it - should be seen as the #1 reason for Toronto's downfall this year. :help:

aingefan

Feb 27, 2008
Tons of time, just a 22 draftee already in Buffalo.
A tweak here, tweak there.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
View attachment 900766

The hitting was bad all season, quite frankly. Springer, Varsho, Turner, KK, Bo, Kirk, you can go on and on and on, all below 100 OPS+ A lot of that WAR comes from the defence, I am assuming.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Tons of time, just a 22 draftee already in Buffalo.
A tweak here, tweak there.
Yeah, and I love a high-OBP, low-K offensive profile, but so far it hasn't lead to results despite him having made it to Buffalo: 100 wRC+ in A, 103 in A+, 97 in AA.

Maybe, like metafour said, he hits the ball hard enough that a small launch angle adjustment can unlock some of the power. I'm just not convinced with what he's done so far.

Reactions: aingefan

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

It’s always interesting to see how a big guy just can’t generate a lot of power. LD approach but he shoots it oppo a lot like Bo.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario

Just a tiny bit arbitrary but for comparison sake the only other guys close to him over that stretch have been Witt and Judge.

Vlad: .465/.526/.980 (yes that’s .980 slg)
Judge: .435/.597/.800
Witt: .444/.495/.808

Also Richard Hidalgo is a crazy shout. He had two abnormally insane years in his career, kinda like Vladdy except Vlad’s done it twice by 25 and were way more impressive compared to league wide numbers.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Just a tiny bit arbitrary but for comparison sake the only other guys close to him over that stretch have been Witt and Judge.

Vlad: .465/.526/.980 (yes that’s .980 slg)
Judge: .435/.597/.800
Witt: .444/.495/.808

Also Richard Hidalgo is a crazy shout. He had two abnormally insane years in his career, kinda like Vladdy except Vlad’s done it twice by 25 and were way more impressive compared to league wide numbers.

I wouldn’t say this season is that insane overall when compared to expectations. He needs to have this kind of season every year going forward. Especially if he is going to sign a 300M+ extension. That’s what we should expect, no? To be clear, I am not saying he should be hitting .460 for the whole season, I am just talking about his overall season numbers.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I wouldn’t say this season is that insane overall when compared to expectations. He needs to have this kind of season every year going forward. Especially if he is going to sign a 300M+ extension. That’s what we should expect, no? To be clear, I am not saying he should be hitting .460 for the whole season, I am just talking about his overall season numbers.

Sure but maybe you should temper your expectations a bit as well. There’s less than 10 players in history who have 10+ years worth of PAs and a better career wRC+ than Vlad’s current 2024 mark. If he averaged this for this rest of his career he’d be one of the best hitters of all time.

And in the grand scheme of things, what’s $300 million? Judge is making 40m aav. Soto is probably going to hit that same aav (or slightly higher) for 12 years. Vladdy getting 300m doesn’t seem that flawed if he even maintained a 140-150 wRC+ over a 10 year contract.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad