Red Sox/MLB 2024 Regular Season 2: Ángel Hernández to retire: Much-maligned MLB umpire calling it quits

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617

Screenshot_20240328_235222_Gallery.jpg

HALLELUJAH

Reactions: CDJ

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
There was nothing heavenly about Angel's umpiring. Good riddance. Worst ump ever

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017

"Negro Leagues legend Josh Gibson now MLB single-season record holder in AVG, SLG and OPS"
I know they're doing this for altruistic reasons but I just think it's muddying up the record books. I don't mind if they hold up the Negro League stats as being on par with MLB ones but putting them all under one umbrella and claiming that Josh Gibson's 1937 OPS is the major league record is misleading.

Between competition levels, schedule formats, and lack of documentation of many games and stats, comparing Gibson with even a contemporary like Joe DiMaggio is apples and oranges and doesn't paint an accurate picture of baseball history IMO.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I know they're doing this for altruistic reasons but I just think it's muddying up the record books. I don't mind if they hold up the Negro League stats as being on par with MLB ones but putting them all under one umbrella and claiming that Josh Gibson's 1937 OPS is the major league record is misleading.

Between competition levels, schedule formats, and lack of documentation of many games and stats, comparing Gibson with even a contemporary like Joe DiMaggio is apples and oranges and doesn't paint an accurate picture of baseball history IMO.

Most baseball historians consider Josh Gibson every bit the superstar that satchel Paige was.

Reactions: Walkenthewalk
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad