Patriots/NFL 2024 Playoffs Part 2: Pats have 3rd pick. Mayo new HC. Where does Belichick land? Bill O'Brien to leave Patriots for Ohio State OC job

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

I hope people are ready to hear things they may not want to. Mayo is going to be a breath of fresh air.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Don't love a lot of what I'm hearing (and seeing) today, but I am very happy Mayo is gonna do things the way that works for him. He has his own style and approach and he's embracing that. Too many Belichick coaches try to be just like him when they become the top guy, but that's not how it works. No one approach is the right approach. Bill Walsh and Bill Parcells were total opposites, but both were great coaches. You have to be who you are, not who you think you're supposed to be, and when you try and act like someone else you fail.

Reactions: Carbonated Puck

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Don't love a lot of what I'm hearing (and seeing) today, but I am very happy Mayo is gonna do things the way that works for him. He has his own style and approach and he's embracing that. Too many Belichick coaches try to be just like him when they become the top guy, but that's not how it works. No one approach is the right approach. Bill Walsh and Bill Parcells were total opposites, but both were great coaches. You have to be who you are, not who you think you're supposed to be, and when you try and act like someone else you fail.
I'm not a huge fan of the answers about the front office and Jonathan but everything Mayo is saying is a breath of fresh air that was desperately needed.

I'm looking forward to seeing what the Mayo era brings.

In full disclosure, there are a few quotes I did not post bc they will ruffle feathers and I don't want to give the mods a headache.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
Kraft has reached the age where anything more than short comments might be beyond him. Few awkward moments in that press conference because of him. Didn't like the lack of any commitment to naming a gm after Mayo said he thinks titles are important. Was surprised at how many shots it felt like Mayo had at Belichick as well.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Kraft has reached the age where anything more than short comments might be beyond him. Few awkward moments in that press conference because of him. Didn't like the lack of any commitment to naming a gm after Mayo said he thinks titles are important. Was surprised at how many shots it felt like Mayo had at Belichick as well.
I don't think he took shots. I think he took what people always complained about when it came to Bill and pointed out how he's different. What Mayo said isn't anything Bill hasn't heard before. I thought he was very complimentary.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Not looking for any type of conversation on this topic other than to note this happened when someone asked Kraft about hiring a black coach:

Kraft: I am colorblind and just hire the best person

Mayo: I DO see color because I think if you don't then you can't see racism

I squirmed a little in my chair just because the answers were RIGHT after the other

• Haha
Reactions: BernieMcAvoy

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Also, only referring to Kraft as Thunder from now on

I don't hate Kraft or anything but my god dude, putting me to sleep when he goes into his history of running businesses and how he never took them public etc. Just a regular mom and pop shop owner! Robert Kraft, a common man!

Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
only way keeping Mac makes sense is if you want a placeholder for a newly drafted qb
Kraft wanting Mac to be the starting qb and thinking a new coach will fix him will be why he's still here. They should be trading him for whatever draft pick they can get, 4th or 5th rounder but i think he's got better odds of being the guy next season than most.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Keeping Mac only makes sense if you want to try to fix shit Bill broke. And are committed to it.

I assume the plan is still draft a QB in the latter rounds and sign a vet. Worked for Love. When doing a rebuild we really NEED to rebuild. I don't see them keeping Mac around.

Reactions: bbfan419

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Keeping Mac only makes sense if you want to try to fix shit Bill broke. And are committed to it.

I assume the plan is still draft a QB in the latter rounds and sign a vet. Worked for Love. When doing a rebuild we really NEED to rebuild. I don't see them keeping Mac around.

No offense, but lots of QBs have played in shitty situations without completely and utterly falling apart like Mac Jones, who played as badly as I have ever seen someone play. (He made some of the worst throws I have ever, or will ever, see, this past season.)

Even if we could somehow definitely know Bill "broke him," which you say a lot to defend him, that's still an indictment on Mac Jones. You become the worst starter in football because you had to play for Matt Patricia for a year? Hoo boy that is not a defense of Mac Jones at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad