Patriots/NFL 2024 Playoffs Part 2: Pats have 3rd pick. Mayo new HC. Where does Belichick land? Bill O'Brien to leave Patriots for Ohio State OC job

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
It wouldn't bother me if they draft a QB or sign a vet and also bring Mac back. If Mac performs the best throw him out there. I say that because ultimately I don't think he's the long-term answer but his trade value is at an all time low right now.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
No offense, but lots of QBs have played in shitty situations without completely and utterly falling apart like Mac Jones, who played as badly as I have ever seen someone play. (He made some of the worst throws I have ever, or will ever, see, this past season.)

Even if we could somehow definitely know Bill "broke him," which you say a lot to defend him, that's still an indictment on Mac Jones. You become the worst starter in football because you had to play for Matt Patricia for a year? Hoo boy that is not a defense of Mac Jones at all.
With more articles coming out about the dysfunction of the team, mishandling of Mac, I'm not surprised he completely crashed and burned this year. From watching a very confident rookie with good footwork and accuracy to whatever the f*** this year was, I can't say it was all on Mac. It definitely was a combination of a lot of things.

I don't see them keeping him. I think he'll go somewhere else and succeed. As we saw this year that backups are very important. Drew Lock. Mason Rudolph. Jake Browning, etc all got opportunities.

Heck Baker f***ing Mayfield left the dysfunction of the Browns and seems to be doing well for himself now.

Trade Mac for whatever you can get and do a full rebuild. It's going to take a few years but it has to be done, imo

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
With more articles coming out about the dysfunction of the team, mishandling of Mac, I'm not surprised he completely crashed and burned this year. From watching a very confident rookie with good footwork and accuracy to whatever the f*** this year was, I can't say it was all on Mac. It definitely was a combination of a lot of things.

I don't see them keeping him. I think he'll go somewhere else and succeed. As we saw this year that backups are very important. Drew Lock. Mason Rudolph. Jake Browning, etc all got opportunities.

Heck Baker f***ing Mayfield left the dysfunction of the Browns and seems to be doing well for himself now.

Trade Mac for whatever you can get and do a full rebuild. It's going to take a few years but it has to be done, imo

My point is that Mac didn't just have a bad year, at times he looked like he literally couldn't play at all. Genuinely some of the worst quarterback play I have ever seen. It wasn't just bad decisions or bad play, it was inexplicable, stupid, nonsense plays. And physically it was awful, too. How often do you see guys throw off their wrong foot, but somehow they're doing so by throwing from their front foot. I'm not sure I ever saw passes as bad as some of his.

Mac Jones was an abomination this year, but it's not like he wasn't in the same situation countless other QBs have found themselves in over the years.

(Also, he didnt play well at the end of his rookie season. His poor play goes back to his time with McDaniels.)

Reactions: KrejciMVP

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
No offense, but lots of QBs have played in shitty situations without completely and utterly falling apart like Mac Jones, who played as badly as I have ever seen someone play. (He made some of the worst throws I have ever, or will ever, see, this past season.)

Even if we could somehow definitely know Bill "broke him," which you say a lot to defend him, that's still an indictment on Mac Jones. You become the worst starter in football because you had to play for Matt Patricia for a year? Hoo boy that is not a defense of Mac Jones at all.

never heard that Bill broke a QB before Mac. Brady and Jimmy went to superbowls. Brissette found work, Hoyer too, Zappe likes Bill. I think Mac considers himself his own brand and that didnt work with Bill. Unfortunately Macs arm will never be NFL level so he'll never be that good

Reactions: EverettMike

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Not looking for any type of conversation on this topic other than to note this happened when someone asked Kraft about hiring a black coach:

Kraft: I am colorblind and just hire the best person

Mayo: I DO see color because I think if you don't then you can't see racism

I squirmed a little in my chair just because the answers were RIGHT after the other
It was phenomenal and nothing Mr. Kraft hasn't heard before.

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
never heard that Bill broke a QB before Mac. Brady and Jimmy went to superbowls. Brissette found work, Hoyer too, Zappe likes Bill. I think Mac considers himself his own brand and that didnt work with Bill. Unfortunately Macs arm will never be NFL level so he'll never be that good

I also think Mac's a big f***ing baby, something that isn't discussed enough by the media. (I know that sounds funny, but I mean it. I think he has an entitled attitude and it has really hurt him.)

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
My point is that Mac didn't just have a bad year, at times he looked like he literally couldn't play at all. Genuinely some of the worst quarterback play I have ever seen. It wasn't just bad decisions or bad play, it was inexplicable, stupid, nonsense plays. And physically it was awful, too. How often do you see guys throw off their wrong foot, but somehow they're doing so by throwing from their front foot. I'm not sure I ever saw passes as bad as some of his.

Mac Jones was an abomination this year, but it's not like he wasn't in the same situation countless other QBs have found themselves in over the years.

(Also, he didnt play well at the end of his rookie season. His poor play goes back to his time with McDaniels.)

Played well enough to break records though. For a rookie, he showed promise. Even with struggles because that's what rookies do. He showed promise and then the next 2 years where WTF from this organization and he regressed. I saw it from Josh Allen his first few years too.

Not saying Mac is Allen but you get what I'm saying. All in all, I think a fresh start is what's needed for both the player abd the team.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was bemused that Jonathan was nowhere to be seen

Where’s Jonathan? — 12:30 p.m.

Ben Volin asked Robert Kraft what role his son Jonathan might play.

“He really is running all the Kraft Group companies and something has come up today that was really important. He’s like an equal partner to me in the running over the operation strategically, not involved in the day to day operations, helping me on an overall basis in the ownership position.”

• Haha
Reactions: smithformeragent

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

“He really is running all the Kraft Group companies and something has come up today that was really important. He’s like an equal partner to me in the running over the operation strategically, not involved in the day to day operations, helping me on an overall basis in the ownership position.”

Ha, what a convenient coincidence for them...

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK

Nobody believes that for a second.

Reactions: rfournier103

EverettMike

Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
Played well enough to break records though. For a rookie, he showed promise. Even with struggles because that's what rookies do. He showed promise and then the next 2 years where WTF from this organization and he regressed. I saw it from Josh Allen his first few years too.

Not saying Mac is Allen but you get what I'm saying. All in all, I think a fresh start is what's needed for both the player abd the team.

Do you mean Patriots rookie records? Cause if so he broke Jim plunkett records from '71. No comparing passing stats from 2022 to back then. Means nothing.

He was asked to manage games, he did against terrible opponents, then couldn't do anything straight his competition.

Promising rookie season, yes, but not exactly anything special for a guy drafted 15th.

I also think you're dramatically exaggerating how bad things were the last two years (not saying they're weren't bad, FYI). If he personally played better their record is much better both seasons.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Nobody believes that for a second.
He had to change the bulb in the lighthouse

1705520858186.png

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
I also think Mac's a big f***ing baby, something that isn't discussed enough by the media. (I know that sounds funny, but I mean it. I think he has an entitled attitude and it has really hurt him.)
Compare Mac to Cam Newton. Cam was throwing to Jakobi Meyers, N'Keal Harry, Damiere Byrd, Gunner Olszewski, Donte Moncrief, Devin Asiasi, Dalton Keene, Ryan Izzo and Julian Edelman for 6 games. You didn't see Cam throwing tantrums like Mac did, you didn't see factions in the locker room wanting Stidham or Hoyer to start like there's been with Zappe. None of that happened because Cam is a leader, while Mac comes across like a privileged rich kid. That doesn't make him a bad guy but being the leader of an nfl team isn't for people like that.

Also Mac had a solid rookie year but it's telling about how his season was viewed nationally when he didn't win offensive rookie of the year. Since 2000 the only qbs to start every week of their rookie season, receive votes for the award and not win it were Baker Mayfield, Jameis Winston and David Carr. None of those guys lasted more than 5 seasons for the team that drafted them.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Compare Mac to Cam Newton. Cam was throwing to Jakobi Meyers, N'Keal Harry, Damiere Byrd, Gunner Olszewski, Donte Moncrief, Devin Asiasi, Dalton Keene, Ryan Izzo and Julian Edelman for 6 games. You didn't see Cam throwing tantrums like Mac did, you didn't see factions in the locker room wanting Stidham or Hoyer to start like there's been with Zappe. None of that happened because Cam is a leader, while Mac comes across like a privileged rich kid. That doesn't make him a bad guy but being the leader of an nfl team isn't for people like that.

Also Mac had a solid rookie year but it's telling about how his season was viewed nationally when he didn't win offensive rookie of the year. Since 2000 the only qbs to start every week of their rookie season, receive votes for the award and not win it were Baker Mayfield, Jameis Winston and David Carr. None of those guys lasted more than 5 seasons for the team that drafted them.
The thing everyone has forgotten is how Cam Newton actually overperformed expectations. He had a pretty bad arm but was still a dual threat. If he and Gilmore don't get COVID they probably make the playoffs that year.

Reactions: Alicat

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida

Mac seem to put most of his effort into having the owners ear than beinga good team mate

Reactions: Alicat

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

I can't help but think Dunder Mifflin when I hear the Kraft Paper company. Jonathan Kraft is just a regular Michael Scott. Or is he Dwight?

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012

I have one dealbreaker when it comes to QBs and that's 'deer in the headlights' eyes. The worst I've ever seen in a QB prospect are Mitch Trubisky and Kellen Mond. It was the sign that they had zero chance of NFL success. I don't know exactly when Mac developed them, but once you have 'deer in the headlights' eyes, there's no coming back. It's over.

Reactions: EverettMike

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

I will probably get scolded for saying this but this guy is another disgraceful owner (maybe I just can't shake his white billionaire comments)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad