Patriots/NFL 2024 Playoffs Part 2: Pats have 3rd pick. Mayo new HC. Where does Belichick land? Bill O'Brien to leave Patriots for Ohio State OC job

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

BradPark22

Nov 8, 2017
:whispers:

The Pats did address the QB situation post Brady. Twice. Once with a former MVP who looked great before he got COVID. The second time with the 15th overall pick.

The problem was Newton ended up being done and Mac ended up being ass just as some of us predicted.

The Pats didn't ignore the position, though. And they didn't try to put just anyone in that spot. They just f***ed up twice. I know it doesn't matter when you keep track of wins and losses, but I do think the difference matters when discussing the team.

Also they addressed the succession plan when Brady was still here with Jimmy G.

FrankerC

Jun 24, 2016
Lewiston, Maine
Issue with that - Brady was coming off his worse statistical season since mid-2000s and people thought he was washed. The following 5 seasons after the draft of Jimmy G, 3 superbowl wins and 1 MVP. The succession plan was started, but delayed when Brady showed he wasn't done.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The real bust that no one is talking about is Jarrett Stidham. He was the raw talent with a rifle arm they were supposed to develop into the next starter, but had some really bad relief appearances that caused them to give up on him quickly. I think Brady didn't want anything to do with mentoring a young backup QB after the Jimmy G situation, and they brought in Hoyer to get 2nd string reps in camp because they needed someone with familiarity with the system after Brady left and Newton took over. So he missed that development time. I'm sure the Covid restrictions in 2020 and 2021 in terms of practices and such affected the development of a lot of young players in a negative way.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

The Pats did address the QB situation post Brady. Twice. Once with a former MVP who looked great before he got COVID. The second time with the 15th overall pick.

The problem was Newton ended up being done and Mac ended up being ass just as some of us predicted.

The Pats didn't ignore the position, though. And they didn't try to put just anyone in that spot. They just f***ed up twice. I know it doesn't matter when you keep track of wins and losses, but I do think the difference matters when discussing the team.
Well obviously they filled the position of QB but going with Cam Newton was a last resort because he was cheap. It was an awful, short sighted "plan".

The mistake was not drafting another Jimmy G right after trading him. They didn't have anyone behind Brady when he left.

Reactions: Gordoff

JRull86

Jan 28, 2009
South Shore
The real bust that no one is talking about is Jarrett Stidham. He was the raw talent with a rifle arm they were supposed to develop into the next starter, but had some really bad relief appearances that caused them to give up on him quickly. I think Brady didn't want anything to do with mentoring a young backup QB after the Jimmy G situation, and they brought in Hoyer to get 2nd string reps in camp because they needed someone with familiarity with the system after Brady left and Newton took over. So he missed that development time. I'm sure the Covid restrictions in 2020 and 2021 in terms of practices and such affected the development of a lot of young players in a negative way.
Eh I don't think anyone viewed Stidham as anything more than QB2 material.

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Does anyone remember that Brady and Jimmy had the same agent? Agents get a percentage of the contract, and therefore want their quarterback clients to start and get fat contracts whenever possible. Jimmy wanted to start and his agent (Don Yee) wanted him to start, too. They had little interest in waiting for Father Time to catch up with Tom Brady.

I think that was a factor, as well.

Reactions: Gordoff

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Well obviously they filled the position of QB but going with Cam Newton was a last resort because he was cheap. It was an awful, short sighted "plan".

The mistake was not drafting another Jimmy G right after trading him. They didn't have anyone behind Brady when he left.
2018 turned out to be a really bad QB draft though, after the first round, the next QB picked was Mason Rudolph in the late 3rd, and I don't think anyone would have been happy with him despite occasional success in Pittsburgh.

One of the great ironies though is that Lamar Jackson went one pick after we took f***ing Sony Michel with our second 1st round pick.

GatorMike

Jul 18, 2022
Woburn, MA
2018 turned out to be a really bad QB draft though, after the first round, the next QB picked was Mason Rudolph in the late 3rd, and I don't think anyone would have been happy with him despite occasional success in Pittsburgh.

One of the great ironies though is that Lamar Jackson went one pick after we took f***ing Sony Michel with our second 1st round pick.
I still wonder if they would have taken Jackson if they weren't selling out to maximize the Brady window.

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com
I still wonder if they would have taken Jackson if they weren't selling out to maximize the Brady window.

There's a story McDaniels wanted to draft Lamar and Belichick laughed off the idea and mocked McDaniels because McDaniels had drafted Tebow.

At the time I assumed it was because they didn't want a backup who would need to run a totally different offense. That was stupid even in the moment considering Brady's age. And my instant hatred for the Sony Michel pick is well-documented.

EDIT: Reading this back and want to make something clear: I didn't have any thoughts on them taking Lamar or not because I didn't know him well enough as a prospect. I jut thought it was stupid they'd pass on him even though they might have thought he was awesome. It didn't make sense to worry about whether he could run their offense.

I would never ever take a running back in the first round, though.

Last edited:

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
That's an important factor. If the gameplan was to maximize the closing window, then if your choice in a first or second round draft pick is between a skill position player who will help you now vs. a project backup QB you're holding onto for 3 years, then yeah, I can see why they'd go for the immediate impact at the expense of the long term.

Still think Lamar could've come in as a wildcat once in a while like Taysom Hill until getting his chance to start for real, but 1. Brady probably would've had a tantrum over the idea of losing any reps to a wildcat/option and 2. Despite the MVPs and regular season success I still have huge doubts about Lamar in the post-season being able to lead his team to a title. We'll see this month though I guess.

Reactions: CDJ

DiggityDog

2 Minutes for Ruffing
Nov 2, 2019
The NFC south wasn’t overly strong this year, but the Bucs schedule was no walk in the park.

I’m glad they mentioned it last night, but they are doing all this while eating nearly $80 million in dead cap.

I understand they aren’t a flagship franchise, but it’s been impressive given some context.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Alexandria, KY

Fantastic tak3

Reactions: EverettMike

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
There's a story McDaniels wanted to draft Lamar and Belichick laughed off the idea and mocked McDaniels because McDaniels had drafted Tebow.

At the time I assumed it was because they didn't want a backup who would need to run a totally different offense. That was stupid even in the moment considering Brady's age. And my instant hatred for the Sony Michel pick is well-documented.

EDIT: Reading this back and want to make something clear: I didn't have any thoughts on them taking Lamar or not because I didn't know him well enough as a prospect. I jut thought it was stupid they'd pass on him even though they might have thought he was awesome. It didn't make sense to worry about whether he could run their offense.

I would never ever take a running back in the first round, though.

The Michel pick is a grade A example of the whims of Belichick. He clearly watched the 2018 Rose Bowl, because the Patriots had a bye, where Michel had an unbelievable game (and was way more of a receiving factor than before or since), and thought he was his Alvin Kamara/Kareem Hunt, having faced both in their rookie seasons earlier that year.

That was a pick made 100% off 1 game.

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan

Sounds like Bill is eyeing up the Chargers, Falcons, and Cowboys based on what he told Arthur Blank.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007

Sounds like Bill is eyeing up the Chargers, Falcons, and Cowboys based on what he told Arthur Blank.

The Falcons are underachieving? I'd say they achieved just about what they should with their terrible QBs. What would the Falcons plan be at QB? The first question I would ask Bill is what the f did you do to Mac Jones and at this stage of your career why should we trust you with drafting and developing a QB? To me, the Chargers and Cowboys make a lot more sense. Established, veteran QBs.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Although it’s been watered down a bit with the extra playoff team and the extra regular season game, and the officiating is dreadfully inconsistent, the NFL is still king and their product is head and shoulders above the other pro sports leagues.

Reactions: rfournier103

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The NFC south wasn’t overly strong this year, but the Bucs schedule was no walk in the park.

I’m glad they mentioned it last night, but they are doing all this while eating nearly $80 million in dead cap.

I understand they aren’t a flagship franchise, but it’s been impressive given some context.

hopefully everyone is rooting for bradys bucs

EvilDead

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.
Nov 6, 2014
Taiwan
The Falcons are underachieving? I'd say they achieved just about what they should with their terrible QBs. What would the Falcons plan be at QB? The first question I would ask Bill is what the f did you do to Mac Jones and at this stage of your career why should we trust you with drafting and developing a QB? To me, the Chargers and Cowboys make a lot more sense. Established, veteran QBs.

Maybe Bill sold Arthur Blank on opening up some of that Home Depot money to pay for a new QB in free agency.

hopefully everyone is rooting for bradys bucs

Nope. Lions or bust for me this year. Not rooting against my grandfather's team.

Reactions: KrejciMVP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad