Patriots/NFL 2024 Playoffs Part 2: Pats have 3rd pick. Mayo new HC. Where does Belichick land? Bill O'Brien to leave Patriots for Ohio State OC job

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Seriously though, Belichick's not drafting/playing a rookie QB. He's got 5 years left, at most. He doesn't have time to develop a QB. He'll find the best vet mercenary he can.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Williams probably goes #1 to Chicago. That means Washington has a choice between Maye and MHJ. I'd be happy taking either of the two depending on who's left. But if Maye is off the board and they pass up on MHJ for f***ing Daniels, I'd absolutely lose my mind.

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Seriously though, Belichick's not drafting/playing a rookie QB. He's got 5 years left, at most. He doesn't have time to develop a QB. He'll find the best vet mercenary he can.
98.5 just now reported rumor that Belichick wanted to trade Mac this past summer & sign Baker Mayfield. Kraft intervened and shot it down.

Maybe Bill makes Mayfield an offer to QB the Falcons? If Tampa lets him escape. Money talks.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
Fair enough.

How do you get a Super Bowl caliber QB, then?
Draft. Use a vet to fill in the gaps. I dont see a generational talented QB in this draft. But who knows. Go for the WR. Build upon the offense. The o-line. Then draft a QB. McCarthy. Penix I guess, maybe Nix. Let them sit behind your vet and gain experience. Worked for Love.

Throwing young QBs into situations where they have nothing around the hurts them in the long run. We have a rebuild here. It's going to take time. And we can afford to wait.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
98.5 just now reported rumor that Belichick wanted to trade Mac this past summer & sign Baker Mayfield. Kraft intervened and shot it down.

Maybe Bill makes Mayfield an offer to QB the Falcons? If Tampa lets him escape. Money talks.
Unconfirmed rumors in hindsight and all, but that'd be hilarious if true because Bill would've been absolutely right and Kraft completely wrong again.

Reactions: Oates2Neely

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Draft. Use a vet to fill in the gaps. I dont see a generational talented QB in this draft. But who knows. Go for the WR. Build upon the offense. The o-line. Then draft a QB. McCarthy. Penix I guess, maybe Nix. Let them sit behind your vet and gain experience. Worked for Love. Throwing young QBs into situations where they have nothing around the hurts them in the long run. We have a rebuild here. It's going to take time. And we can afford to wait.

Chicago will keep Fields and draft Harrison, Washington takes Maye, and time for plan B. Caleb Williams not a lock to want to play here. Trade down from 3 and draft Malik Nabers, or offensive lineman, acquire second round pick, trade back up. Penix Jr. gone before 10. So that leaves Nix and McCarthy. Building up offense will take several drafts no matter which way this unfolds. They need another placekicker. Where to start...

Last edited:

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Ngl I can’t understand being so opposed to drafting Daniels but wanting to sign Cousins. Dudes an absolute loser player who has played for nothing but loser franchises.
Like Matthew Stafford was?

5 maybe 6 QBs are going to go in the first round and odds are at least 4 will be busts or career journeymen/backups. Good luck picking the right one, GMs

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Chicago will keep Fields and draft Jefferson, Washington takes Maye, and time for plan B. Caleb Williams not a lock to want to play here. Trade down from 3 and draft Malik Nabers, or offensive lineman, acquire second round pick, trade back up. Penix Jr. gone before 10. So that leaves Nix and McCarthy. Building up offense will take several drafts no matter which way this unfolds. They need another placekicker. Where to start...
Jefferson? Do you mean Harrison Jr?

In the highly unlikely event that Chicago takes a WR at 1, I don’t see Washington passing on Williams. Isn’t he a D.C. kid? Imagine that story line.

Like Matthew Stafford was?

5 maybe 6 QBs are going to go in the first round and odds are at least 4 will be busts or career journeymen/backups. Good luck picking the right one, GMs
To be fair Stafford went to an absolute stacked team in LA when he won. He stunk in Detroit. And the patriots offense resembles Detroit more than the Rams.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
I’m assuming you meant to say Brissett starting, Daniels as backup…?

Not much excitement for next season in that scenario. I’m torn on Daniels vs MHJ at 3. An electric WR would be entertaining.

#3 MHJ
#34 traded to Chicago for Justin Fields
Sign Calvin Ridley

Will they win? Idk. Will they be fun to watch? :popcorn:
Agree with this, but I would keep the 2nd rd pick and draft Nix if still there and then sign Mayfield and Ridley.

DNE3

Sep 14, 2010
Jefferson? Do you mean Harrison Jr? In the highly unlikely event that Chicago takes a WR at 1, I don’t see Washington passing on Williams. Isn’t he a D.C. kid? Imagine that story line. To be fair Stafford went to an absolute stacked team in LA when he won. He stunk in Detroit. And the patriots offense resembles Detroit more than the Rams.

Just corrected. Constant use of his initials throwing me off. Chicago must deal with Fields who is still a highly-rated talent in his own right, with a high ceiling, and adding top rated positional player at receiver I do not rule out. I don't know who Caleb Williams is willing to play for at this point.

Last edited:

Oates2Neely

Jan 19, 2010
Massachusetts
Agree with this, but I would keep the 2nd rd pick and draft Nix if still there and then sign Mayfield and Ridley.
Agree. I’m reading articles that are speculating Fields value at a 2nd or 3rd round pick. The Pats at 34 is maybe overpayment. Maybe their early 3rd (68) and another late round pick. I prefer Fields over Mayfield. Mayfield going to get PAID this offseason. Tampa most likely retaining him.

Reactions: bbfan419

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Fair enough.

How do you get a Super Bowl caliber QB, then?
Niners drafted Mr Irrelevant

Lions have a cast-off from the Rams

Bucs have a journeyman QB

Hell, even Lamar Jackson was last pick of first round. Jordan Love drafted 26th overall.

All this to say, if the Patriots don't believe in any of the QBs at #3 overall then I am perfectly fine with them not taking one immediately. I am operating under the assumption they can't possibly fix all their issues in one offseason. But if they think the QB at #3 is CJ Stroud? Then you absolutely take the QB.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Jefferson? Do you mean Harrison Jr?

In the highly unlikely event that Chicago takes a WR at 1, I don’t see Washington passing on Williams. Isn’t he a D.C. kid? Imagine that story line.

To be fair Stafford went to an absolute stacked team in LA when he won. He stunk in Detroit. And the patriots offense resembles Detroit more than the Rams.
I don't think Stafford stunk in Detroit. I am not a huge Stafford guy but he's a good QB. The Lions failed him. I would also take Kirk Cousins here in a second. I don't care if he's ultimately a big game loser. The Patriots would kill to be in any big game these days.

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
What the team does at free agency should dictate how they draft because there's really no excuse to not either get a good bridge qb and build up the weapons on the offensive side of the ball for a year with Marvin Harrison plus a big free agent wideout or improve the roster for a rookie qb to come in and start day 1. Cutting JC Jackson and Godchaux gives them 90 million in cap space. If they aren't cheap then keeping Onwenu and Henry should be the priority but they shouldn't leave free agency without one of the top wr.

Calvin Ridley, Demario Douglas, Curtis Samuel, Devante Parker, Hunter Henry and Pharaoh Brown isn't an incredible room of wr and te talent but it gives you the base that a better qb than Mac Jones or Bailey Zappe can work with. You would just have to figure out the left tackle position.

If they get cheap with Onwenu and don't re-sign or tag him, then you may as well trade down and accumulate as much draft capital as possible because this will be a long and painful rebuild.

Rumors of O'Brien being the new Ohio State offensive coordinator.

GlenFeatherstone

Feb 15, 2016
My offer would be a 2025 2nd or 3rd for Fields. Harrison 3. Patrick Paul or Jordan Morgan at 34. Even a guy like Javon Foster at the top of round 3 I’d take an earlier as I think all 3 will be more than solid left tackles. I even double dip at WR and look at a guy like Ricky Pearsall from Florida is round 3-4. Tight ends Cade Stover from Ohio State will be a solid choice in the 3-4 round range too.

Quarterbacks that are good starters will be available in free agency or trades. The OT free agent class sucks and all the top WR will get franchised. Williams will go 1 Maye will go 2. Harrison will be there at 3. He’s the best available at an important position of need. Take him.

BradPark22

Nov 8, 2017
signing a journey man vet like cousins and drafting a mid round qb seems like a path to nowhere

Especially since Cousins is getting $35 million and eating up the majority of your cap space.

You have to draft a QB at 3 and hit on the pick, it's 6 years of a cost controlled cap friendly asset.

Reactions: KrejciMVP
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad