Patriots/NFL 2024 Playoffs Part 2: Pats have 3rd pick. Mayo new HC. Where does Belichick land? Bill O'Brien to leave Patriots for Ohio State OC job

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
My takeaway besides ‘Thunder’ was Mayo blueprint

Smart, tough, dependable players

No complainers and finger pointers

Surround yourself with good people

Boom!!!!!!

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA

Boom!!!!!!
Yes. He said a lot of good things. We still have no idea if he can be the head coach of an NFL team or not. We will have to wait and see.

Reactions: DKH

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
if Caleb Williams is there at 3 and they pass they are going to be in the basement for a decade. Or at least until a new regime is in place. Because that would be an all time terrible decision and you can’t trust the people who made it

Idc if he cries with his mom.

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Yes. He said a lot of good things. We still have no idea if he can be the head coach of an NFL team or not. We will have to wait and see.
The biggest takeaway listening to them is a QB at 3 seems likely

Both QB here probably need to go

Smart, tough, dependable - team that is accountable and enjoys playing together

That his mantra

the Winnipeg Jets are showing what a team with a good not great roster can do when happy and have a common goal

Wheeler seems to be a bigger problem in room then thought

Reactions: sarge88 and Number6

EverettMike

FIRE DON SWEENEY INTO THE SUN
Mar 7, 2009
Everett, MA
twitter.com

Boom!!!!!!

Has any coach literally ever said anything else?

"I want dumb, weak, undependable players who complain all the time and blame everyone else."

if Caleb Williams is there at 3 and they pass they are going to be in the basement for a decade. Or at least until a new regime is in place. Because that would be an all time terrible decision and you can’t trust the people who made it

I will legit be stunned if Caleb doesn't go first.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
There is no one way to go about this. The Niners built up roster and found a functional QB as Mr. Irrelevant. They wasted a ton of draft capital on all time bust Trey Lance.

Packers and Chiefs drafted QB in mid to late first round and let them sit behind veteran starter.

Lions received a cast-off QB from Rams.

Sure, if you think you have a franchise QB at #3 you 100% take the QB. But if you have doubts don't force it. Take MHJ.

People say stuff like this about QBs all the time. But the fact of the matter is more often than not you're gonna draft a QB who turns out to be a bust.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby

"I want dumb, weak, undependable players who complain all the time and blame everyone else."

The only thing that he doesn’t have is prototypical size, and even then he’s not so small that it will hurt him. I bet he’s going 1 too. He’s been under a microscope for years and the only thing people have on him is that he cried with his mom after a tough loss. Nothing about his actual play.

Reactions: EverettMike and DKH

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002

Let’s see how plays out - we were cancelling seats now keeping

I’ve been a fan of Mayo since at Tennessee so I’m kinda excited about this lol

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
There is no one way to go about this. The Niners built up roster and found a functional QB as Mr. Irrelevant. They wasted a ton of draft capital on all time bust Trey Lance.

Packers and Chiefs drafted QB in mid to late first round and let them sit behind veteran starter.

Lions received a cast-off QB from Rams.

Sure, if you think you have a franchise QB at #3 you 100% take the QB. But if you have doubts don't force it. Take MHJ.

People say stuff like this about QBs all the time. But the fact of the matter is more often than not you're gonna draft a QB who turns out to be a bust.

The chances of this org building a superteam and elevating a middling QB are zero. SF also ha zero rings lately. They need a franchise QB. You can find WR talent. Remind me where St Brown, Godwin, Puka, Deebo were drafted. Justin Jefferson was a late 1st. MHJ will look like a bust with nobody to throw him the ball.

Last edited:

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
The chances of this org building a superteam and elevating a middling QB are zero. SF also ha zero rings lately. They need a franchise QB. You can find WR talent. Remind me where St Brown, Godwin, Puka, Deebo were drafted. Justin Jefferson was a late 1st. MHJ will look like a bust with nobody to throw him the ball.

The question is, who is picking the players? They need someone in this organization with some offensive acumen. We went from a defensive coach, to a defensive coach.

I like Mayo, I'm just not sure the timing is right for things to go well.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
The only thing that he doesn’t have is prototypical size, and even then he’s not so small that it will hurt him. I bet he’s going 1 too. He’s been under a microscope for years and the only thing people have on him is that he cried with his mom after a tough loss. Nothing about his actual play.
Even if you base it on stats or play, there is a better chance he is a bust. Now, that's not to say it will be him. Maybe the bust will be Maye. Or Daniels. I think it's just important to remember that the odds all three of those guys turn into franchise QBs is extremely low.

Given the Not For Long nature of the NFL, does Jerod Mayo want to hitch his wagon to a rookie QB? Or is he more interested in shooting for a veteran QB and MHJ? Of course at the moment we have no idea on that. Don't have to look any further than Bryce Young, an undersized QB who could end up a total bust.

Well we also have zero proof the current people in charge know how to evaluate/pick WRs either. They get some credit for Douglas but that's about it.

KrejciMVP

Jun 30, 2011
Tampa, Florida
The question is, who is picking the players? They need someone in this organization with some offensive acumen. We went from a defensive coach, to a defensive coach.

I like Mayo, I'm just not sure the timing is right for things to go well.

Pats are picking 3, sure no top pick is a sure thing but I'd pull out all the stop to make sure they get a chance to make one of these top pick QB's is a Patriot. They hit the QB it can make any coach look good very quickly just like in Houston

BernieMcAvoy

Feb 18, 2020
I think there's similarities with Caleb Williams and Trevor Lawrence. Both given the generational tag early into their college career but their final season most people expected a bigger jump. The difference with Caleb is he has some personality traits that people don't like and Drake Maye is a better prospect than any qb in Lawrence's draft.

If Cam Ward had entered the draft, he would have been an interesting guy with a lot of tools to take in the middle rounds and have sit behind a bridge qb while you go bpa, but he chose to transfer to Miami. I'm not sold on Daniels as a passer at the nfl level but the value of the qb is so great.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
I wouldn't put it past Aaron Rodgers to push Woody Johnson to make a run at Belichick. Maybe Bill hates the Jets so much he would never do it. But getting fired by the Patriots? Hmmm...

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
I think there's similarities with Caleb Williams and Trevor Lawrence. Both given the generational tag early into their college career but their final season most people expected a bigger jump. The difference with Caleb is he has some personality traits that people don't like and Drake Maye is a better prospect than any qb in Lawrence's draft.

If Cam Ward had entered the draft, he would have been an interesting guy with a lot of tools to take in the middle rounds and have sit behind a bridge qb while you go bpa, but he chose to transfer to Miami. I'm not sold on Daniels as a passer at the nfl level but the value of the qb is so great.

I doubt Williams falls to 3 and I'm not sold on Maye. He took a big step back in a mediocre conference. 63% comp%, 3600 yds and 24 td to 9 int isnt good in the ACC, he's too similar to Trubisky for me to trust a UNC QB. IMO Daniels is a HR pick at 3. 3800 passing yards, 1000 rushing yards, 50 total TD to only 4 INT in the SEC.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
2nd interview for Bill in Atlanta.

Done deal.

Similar to Brady going to the Bucs, that blows that he is going to the Falcons.

Now we wait and see if the Patriots were playing the waiting game to see if Bill takes people like Matt Groh with him.

Johnnyduke

Oct 30, 2007
Shouldn't an interview with Bill Belichick basically be him tossing his Super Bowl rings on the table and saying, "There's my f***ing resume."
Ya it's probably just him telling Arthur Blank what he needs or who he will be bringing in.

Not sure it matters but since people like to call media members mouthpieces, Ian Rappaport has long been Bill's mouthpiece.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad