Speculation: 2024 Offseason Talk

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Playing 5 defense left our score looking completely ragged. Yea it was crazy, benching him in the last quarter of the season and into the playoffs was a bad decision that cost the team in the long run.

So what is the plan? Bring him back so that can happen again?At that point it becomes Jim Nill's fault for not bringing in a better option the coaching staff trusts.

I don't blame Lundkvist, and Iiked his game at times, but unless you're replacing the coaching staff it's idiotic to pay him and have him on the roster.

He can be better than Pouliot or Petrovic even, but it doesn't matter if the coaching staff will choose to play Petrovic over him.

Reactions: Dallasman

David Castillo

Oct 29, 2014
San Antonio, TX
So what is the plan? Bring him back so that can happen again?At that point it becomes Jim Nill's fault for not bringing in a better option the coaching staff trusts.

I don't blame Lundkvist, and Iiked his game at times, but unless you're replacing the coaching staff it's idiotic to pay him and have him on the roster.

He can be better than Pouliot or Petrovic even, but it doesn't matter if the coaching staff will choose to play Petrovic over him.

Seems like it's really on the miscommunication between DeBoer and Nill. Nill should have recognized DeBoer's lack of trust. Conversely, DeBoer should have communicated the degree of that mistrust. Not trusting a player is one thing, but F'ing with the rest of the blueline just to avoid playing him is something I doubt even Nill would have foreseen. This was on both.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Seems like it's really on the miscommunication between DeBoer and Nill. Nill should have recognized DeBoer's lack of trust. Conversely, DeBoer should have communicated the degree of that mistrust. Not trusting a player is one thing, but F'ing with the rest of the blueline just to avoid playing him is something I doubt even Nill would have foreseen. This was on both.

Oh, I agree with that, but I'm saying it's 100% on Nill if he brings back Lundkvist and creates the situation again in 2024-25.

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
I don't think Nill was surprised about this. He added Tanev and expected Hakanpaa to be back. They had their six in mind. They weren't planning to play Lundkvist in the playoffs at all. Yeah, Nill maybe should have added another guy to be the #7 ahead of Lundkvist, but they also didn't have much cap space left.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Oh, I agree with that, but I'm saying it's 100% on Nill if he brings back Lundkvist and creates the situation again in 2024-25.
I'm with you here. This is a problem. The trade has been a complete failure. Nill made the trade of a couple of picks hoping to get a guy who was NHL ready to jump in and help the team right away, but he got a guy who has contributed nothing when it matters and who has been leapfrogged two seasons in a row by younger d-men.

We've entered the dreaded Honka zone where Nill doesn't want to give up a guy's rights but also has a guy whose trade value has plummeted to the point where you're looking at getting back 5% of the draft value used on him, which means trading him would only be done to be rid of him.

too374

Jun 5, 2024
So what is the plan?
Yea if a coach is actively minimizing their chances later down the line, in the case of running 5 dmen, and actively sabotaging the team in the the years later, benching a young player in his years of development, he is not compatible with a modern sports franchise.

Treating a coach a unimpeachable is backwards thinking. Look at Vegas they turn though top coaches and are a perennially successful club. I think the job of a gm is to act as a counter balance to the coach at times. A coaches job is to win, if they had their way we would trade our draft picks every year to have the best roster they can in that season. The job of a gm is to manage the long term impact of decisions like that and build competitive teams into the future. Handling of prospects and younger players that can develop is the place where conflict between the two roles should happen.

Reactions: piqued

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Yea if a coach is actively minimizing their chances later down the line, in the case of running 5 dmen, and actively sabotaging the team in the the years later, benching a young player in his years of development, he is not compatible with a modern sports franchise.

Treating a coach a unimpeachable is backwards thinking. Look at Vegas they turn though top coaches and are a perennially successful club. I think the job of a gm is to act as a counter balance to the coach at times. A coaches job is to win, if they had their way we would trade our draft picks every year to have the best roster they can in that season. The job of a gm is to manage the long term impact of decisions like that and build competitive teams into the future. Handling of prospects and younger players that can develop is the place where conflict between the two roles should happen.
I disagree with your premise. I don't think they traded for Lundkvist expecting to have to spend multiple seasons developing him. They wanted to give up a 1st and a 3rd for him because they thought they were getting an NHL player. Their scouts were wrong.

On top of that, this same coach has given NHL jobs to a number of guys under 25, including a few players younger than Lundkvist (Johnston, Harley, and Stankoven). Bourque will join the younger list next season as may Bichsel.

I don't see this as a coaching problem but a player problem. They took a flyer on a guy who hasn't panned out. Maybe he will, but so far, he's not meeting expectations.

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
Nils panics too much in the d zone and hasn’t produced enough offense. I’m on team get rid of him and sign the Desharnais dude

eartotheground

capslock broken
Sponsor
Jul 7, 2006
Helsinki South

i love how vegas is 'perennially successful' but the stars aren't.

1718997309676.png

if you go to 10 years, vegas is ahead, but good grief. we don't need to be modeling off of vegas.

Reactions: redbeardtx

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Mhmm. The Hintz news is disappointing. Guess it was just a down year. Broken finger seems like a weak excuse to blame on his performance in the playoffs.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Mhmm. The Hintz news is disappointing. Guess it was just a down year. Broken finger seems like a weak excuse to blame on his performance in the playoffs.
The Pavelski decline hit the whole line to contribute some for sure. There's also a decent chance the production Hintz and Robertson saw last season are going to be their career highs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad