Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think VD is being underrated. What makes him worse than Ceci besides usage and reputation? Nothing. He is a 3rd pair that can moonlight at a top 4D like Ceci. But he’ll be cheaper than Ceci.

I’d much rather ship Ceci out, then let VD walk. If VD comes in around 2M or less, you have to consider. You’ll find nothing but question marks in the market for UFA 1M defenceman. Question marks don’t belong on a cup contending team.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I think VD is being underrated. What makes him worse than Ceci besides usage and reputation? Nothing. He is a 3rd pair that can moonlight at a top 4D like Ceci. But he’ll be cheaper than Ceci.

I’d much rather ship Ceci out, then let VD walk. If VD comes in around 2M or less, you have to consider. You’ll find nothing but question marks in the market for UFA 1M defenceman. Question marks don’t belong on a cup contending team.
Vinny at 2M is severely overpay. He's a 1M guy

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Vinny at 2M is severely overpay. He's a 1M guy
I don’t think so. I don’t think his stats or usage will value him anywhere near 1M either. And we will see this when he starts getting offers around the League.

But let’s assume he is a 1M D-man, 2M would not be severe overpay. That’s only 1M of bad cap at the end of the day. And if Vinny plays any Top 4 minutes he probably covers that overpay anyways.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I don’t think so. I don’t think his stats or usage will value him anywhere near 1M either. And we will see this when he starts getting offers around the League.

But let’s assume he is a 1M D-man, 2M would not be severe overpay. That’s only 1M of bad cap at the end of the day. And if Vinny plays any Top 4 minutes he probably covers that overpay anyways.
Going from 1M to 2M is double pay. It's overpay. And I like Vinny

Reactions: McDoused

Broberg Speed

Oct 23, 2020
Penning him into the line up is one thing, but a lock for a top 4 is a recipe for disaster.
He had a great playoffs, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.
Gregor's shtick is flat out lame.

Too small of a sample size.
Kulak's had some good stretches in the top 4 as well, but he's not a top 4.
Personally I would like to move on from Kulak and replace him with Broberg.

Kulak actually has positive value and the Oil could recoup a much needed pick for the draft.

Reactions: FunkyChicken

DrDrai

The OG
Jan 28, 2007
Edmonton
Broberg was a huge surpise in the playoffs. He seemed too timid every other time I watched him play and here he was on the biggest hockey stage in the wolrd skaitng and handling the puck with confidence. Very impressive.
I cant see how he doesnt parlay that into a top 4 role next season.
I'd make the argument for a Klefbom contract.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Going from 1M to 2M is double pay. It's overpay. And I like Vinny
Vinny brought more than 1M worth of play last year. He was just as good as Kulak in the regular season, maybe even better and Kulak is 2.75M on the Cap.

I think people are forgetting how bottom barrel 1M defenceman can be in this League. Who do we get at 1M that’s better than Vinny?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Vinny brought more than 1M worth of play last year. He was just as good as Kulak in the regular season, maybe even better and Kulak is 2.75M on the Cap.

I think people are forgetting how bottom barrel 1M defenceman can be in this League. Who do we get at 1M that’s better than Vinny?
Phil Kemp can fill that role for league minimum. I think the most important move we should be making is making sure Coffey and Stuart come back.

Reactions: Broberg Speed

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Penning him into the line up is one thing, but a lock for a top 4 is a recipe for disaster.

They could always go back to giving him > 10 minutes on the bottom pair and see how long it takes for another trade request.

His performance vs Dallas and Florida as a top 4D has earned him a chance to start on the middle pair in the regular season

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Just don’t plan around him being top4…

But considering how he played in the playoffs. I could see it. And the regular season will be easier than playoffs for him.

Phil Kemp can fill that role for league minimum. I think the most important move we should be making is making sure Coffey and Stuart come back.
Maybe, but probably not. He might not even make the roster out of camp, let alone replace a legit NHL D-man.

Yes, we should get both back. I hope we do.

Reactions: K1984 and Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad