Rumor: Rumors & Trade Proposals Thread | Post Mortem '23-24 Season: Who Should Stay, Who Should Go & Who Should We Bring In?

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shizuka

Mar 16, 2002
In purgatory

Kind of sounds like somebody who's an assistant or an 'up and comer' as opposed to an established guy. Which I don't mind, really damn tired of these old boomers and their legacy OBC mentality. Get someone with a bit of NHL experience, sure, but someone who's more analytics based, newer in the sense that they haven't been given the opportunity yet and aren't established or complacent in mindset. Make sure it's someone who stresses proper drafting and development as priorities, and not plumbing the depths of the trade deadline for overpriced vets and completely mortgaging whatever draft capital you have because of stupid decisions made with FAs.

They will, eventually, need to plan for the losses of McDavid and Draisaitl but in the more immediate future window, if the plan is to open the vault and lock those two up to max or near max contracts (and subsequently Bouchard in a year) -- they will absolutely need young players drafted and pushing up through the system to claim spots. If the money goes to the top guys and you pay them accordingly, there's just not enough for middle 6 and middle pairing guys on bad contracts. That money is getting squeezed to sit with the top producers.

Should be an interesting and short window here, with alot on their plate. Don't bush league this one up, Jackson and co.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Sounds like Jackson would like to talk to both McDrai together regarding contracts. Seems like he wants them taking the same deal?

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
I was so opposed to this for so long, but now I am 100% on board. We are so close... gotta made it happen.

And if he doesn't resign (and we've structured our team to fit that $13M) the alternative isn't terrible. We'll be able to sign two solid players, we'll get a solid pick or prospect for Drai's rights, and we can run into the season with a few million dollars (which multiplies by 4.5X) for the deadline... we become a very solid team every season that has the type of TDL cap space to add a couple great players each year.
Nope you can absolutely 100% not let it get to the summer without Leon signed or traded. You want to talk lost asset how about investing 11 years in a perennial 100 point player only to lose him for nothing. That is the worst case scenario that could occur with Leon. Sign him or trade him DO NOT let him walk to FA.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
We just saw former Oiler great, Alex Petrovic, play that role in the playoffs. Finding third pairing guys with no offensive value isn't all that tough.

Hopefully we're at a point where good veterans will take cheap one year deals here for a chance at the Cup too.
We saw Petrovic play 7 playoff games cause the Dallas D got decimated by injury. He played a sheltered role playing an average of 12mins a night. Vinny played 17mins a night.

Vinny also played a full NHL season of solid NHL defence. Petrovich was in the AHL.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
We saw Petrovic play 7 playoff games cause the Dallas D got decimated by injury. He played a sheltered role playing an average of 12mins a night. Vinny played 17mins a night.

Vinny also played a full NHL season of solid NHL defence. Petrovich was in the AHL.
The Oilers are not going to make or miss the playoffs with Vinny. He's like the last guy you want to overpay

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
The Oilers are not going to make or miss the playoffs with Vinny. He's like the last guy you want to overpay
Obviously. The Oilers are good enough where playoffs contention isn't even the conversation anymore. It's what does this team need to win a Cup. I haven't looked at the market for 1M defenceman this year, but i highly doubt we are going to get someone we can rely on as heavily as we've relied on Vinny this last year.

Was Knob a hire by Holland or Jackson?
... how?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Obviously. The Oilers are good enough where playoffs contention isn't even the conversation anymore. It's what does this team need to win a Cup. I haven't looked at the market for 1M defenceman this year, but i highly doubt we are going to get someone we can rely on as heavily as we've relied on Vinny this last year.

... how?
Not signing Vinny to 2M will give us some cap space to add veteran D and forward at the deadline

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
Kind of sounds like somebody who's an assistant or an 'up and comer' as opposed to an established guy. Which I don't mind, really damn tired of these old boomers and their legacy OBC mentality. Get someone with a bit of NHL experience, sure, but someone who's more analytics based, newer in the sense that they haven't been given the opportunity yet and aren't established or complacent in mindset. Make sure it's someone who stresses proper drafting and development as priorities, and not plumbing the depths of the trade deadline for overpriced vets and completely mortgaging whatever draft capital you have because of stupid decisions made with FAs.

They will, eventually, need to plan for the losses of McDavid and Draisaitl but in the more immediate future window, if the plan is to open the vault and lock those two up to max or near max contracts (and subsequently Bouchard in a year) -- they will absolutely need young players drafted and pushing up through the system to claim spots. If the money goes to the top guys and you pay them accordingly, there's just not enough for middle 6 and middle pairing guys on bad contracts. That money is getting squeezed to sit with the top producers.

Should be an interesting and short window here, with alot on their plate. Don't bush league this one up, Jackson and co.
If Leon and McDavid sign for 8 years each, how is it a short window?

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005

... how?
How what? Knob was Connor's handler thru Junior hockey. Holland passed on Knobloch as coach for Grand Rapids. It's not hard to connect the dots.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Not signing Vinny to 2M will give us some cap space to add veteran D and forward at the deadline
Someone still needs to play. So signing a 1M d-man gives us an extra 1M to spend to at the deadline. That doesn't move the needle much. It's only 1M. And if this Defenceman sucks (likely, very likely) then you are shopping for his replacement at the TDL anyways.

How what? Knob was Connor's handler thru Junior hockey. Holland passed on Knobloch as coach for Grand Rapids. It's not hard to connect the dots.
Lol. I meant how is this not known. Yes I agree with everything you've said.

Reactions: Heavy Dee

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Wasn't Jackson hired months ago? Don't tell me he just started looking for a GM
He said there are candidates he didnt have permission to speak to until the end of the NHL year. No NHL club is going to let you poach their people mid year. This makes perfect sense

Reactions: capazzo
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad