Speculation: 2024 Offseason Talk

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Nill on Bourque

“He’s ready,” Nill told The News Monday. “He’s ready to take the next step. And we’re going to need him.”

Nill on Bichsel

“We didn’t know what to expect,” Nill said of Bichsel. “He’s a young man playing in Europe. He was only 19 coming over here. He came into training camp and was probably the shining light. He gave us breath of fresh air. We didn’t know what to expect, and he exceeded expectations.”

“He was very close to playing in one of the games. He’s knocking on the door. Hoping for him to have a good summer. Let’s bring him to camp, see where his game’s at and go from there.”

Nill on Bourque and Bichsel playing more games in 2023-24

“I think probably on 2/3 of the league they would have been up in the NHL,” Nill said. “But because of the depth we had and we didn’t have a lot of injuries on our team this year, they ended up staying in the AHL. It was the best thing for them.”

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
If you’re going to read into that, he also said they need to replace “pavelski’s points”. Didn’t mention Duchene though ;)
It's kind of confusingly structured but I think he's talking about Stankoven there. Logan on the 1st line wing for an entire season can absolutely replace Pavs' even strength points. By all accounts the line should be significantly better, frankly.

The bigger X-factor is whether Bork will have chemistry with Marchment/Seguin. They caught lightning in a bottle with 27-95-91 last year.

If they don't work together you can switch things up and go Benn with Borkoven and move WJ to the top line. But then you have a major problem trying to make Marchment and Seguin similarly productive again.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
Well we get to play the champs in the season opener. People will definitely be watching even with the time difference.

(Johno drop the GDT tonight)

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Could see Nill swoop on a cheap buyout player that he thinks can help ala duchene last year.

Eg the rumours about Jeff Skinner. I'm not saying him, but if players like that are bought out, might be cheapest way to get a prove it player with impact and cheap

Sports2

WDI
Jul 1, 2018
Could see Nill swoop on a cheap buyout player that he thinks can help ala duchene last year.

Eg the rumours about Jeff Skinner. I'm not saying him, but if players like that are bought out, might be cheapest way to get a prove it player with impact and cheap
I’m of the opinion that they need more, not less, cup experience on the team. Skinner has like negative cup experience.
I’m kind of also of the opinion that if you’re bargain hunting, you’re doing it wrong. You get what you pay for. I understand their cap situation isn’t perfect, but no one’s is. Rolling Duchene 2.0 and crossing your fingers he’ll show up in the playoffs sounds like some bubble team shit- not a team competing for the cup.

Last edited:

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Pavelskis regular season production will be pretty much covered by a full season of stankoven playing with Hintz or Wyatt..

I'd resign Duchene (as long as it's cheap) then keep everything else in house at forward till the trade deadline.

Would then put my focus on defense by moving on from Suter, resigning Tanev, extending Harley and seeing If there is a reasonably priced 2nd pairing RHD (I like Roy but think someone will outbid us. Still think walker would be a decent and reasonably priced option.

Robertson-Hintz-Stankoven
Benn-Johnston-Borque
Marchment-Duchene-Seguin
Steel-Faksa-Dadonov
(Cheap vet / Blumel for 13th fwd)

Heiskanen-Tanev
Harley-Walker
Lindell-Bischel
If Bischel isn't ready play lundqvist till he is.

Oettinger
Cheap vet (happy with wedgewood)

Think you can go with your line up and see what you need as the year progresses. Faksa a probable trade piece near the deadline.

It's not perfect but it's a top 4 in the West team, that could be fine tuned at the deadline.

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Pavelskis regular season production will be pretty much covered by a full season of stankoven playing with Hintz or Wyatt..

I'd resign Duchene (as long as it's cheap) then keep everything else in house at forward till the trade deadline.

Would then put my focus on defense by moving on from Suter, resigning Tanev, extending Harley and seeing If there is a reasonably priced 2nd pairing RHD (I like Roy but think someone will outbid us. Still think walker would be a decent and reasonably priced option.

Robertson-Hintz-Stankoven
Benn-Johnston-Borque
Marchment-Duchene-Seguin
Steel-Faksa-Dadonov
(Cheap vet / Blumel for 13th fwd)

Heiskanen-Tanev
Harley-Walker
Lindell-Bischel
If Bischel isn't ready play lundqvist till he is.

Oettinger
Cheap vet (happy with wedgewood)

Think you can go with your line up and see what you need as the year progresses. Faksa a probable trade piece near the deadline.

It's not perfect but it's a top 4 in the West team, that could be fine tuned at the deadline.

Salary cap

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Relying on two rookies to replace 132 points is risky, especially if you have Cup aspirations.

Hope to be proven wrong.
The bigger need is fixing the busted ass d-core. 3 NHL defensemen (with Harley) for next season is a bigger problem than 50g or 130p
They don't need to replace 132p scored during the regular season anyway.
They need to set themselves up to be in the PO so that they can add a decent scorer at the TDL, not some band-aid like Duchene, who will score in the regular season then do nothing in the PO.
if they're looking at UFA additions then you're going bargain shopping, which with needing to fill out half the d-core they'd have to, they aren't going to replace 50g or 130p anyway.

Reactions: Elysian

Magic Mittens

Nov 2, 2006
Calgary
Obviously, it's crazy to think we can replace those point totals, but we may not have a choice. Nill could make some moves with Suter and Faksa, but will he? Maybe he does one, but I doubt both. D is our #1 priority right now.

Might end up starting the season, and then address our needs at the deadline. Next year we have lots of cap space, so adding some term at the deadline could make sense

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
In the end in that Oilers series, we didn't score enough goals nor did we defend well enough.

Both areas are an issue that need to be addressed. Most likely we see only the D addressed though.

Reactions: catters078

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Relying on two rookies to replace 132 points is risky, especially if you have Cup aspirations.

Hope to be proven wrong.
Philosophy has to be two rookies+a successful buy low can get you duchene and Pavelski’s production, right? Don’t like the team investing in hope and maybes as a strategy though. Defense has to be the priority. Said something yesterday, but offloading cap in a Marino trade can kill two birds with one stone

Reactions: Dallasman

BG44

Jul 19, 2021
Here is the full quote about Tanev:

“We’d love to have him back. That’s what I’m working on right now is trying to sign him,” Nill said. “But it’s how do we fit it in? How do I fit him in? And how do I fit in other players that are restricted free agents and their contracts are going up. That’s the juggling act: trying to keep the band together. I keep changing the batteries in my calculator because I don’t like the numbers I’m seeing.”

Reactions: redbeardtx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad