Salary Cap: Garbage Day collection comes early!

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Status
Not open for further replies.

mrd1166

Jun 19, 2024
Pittsburgh
The team literally just started the rebuild with the Guentzel trade.
A Team does not start a rebuild when they just traded for guy for $10 million lol they are not trying to rebuild. They are trying to win and they think veterans is the way to go well it hasn’t worked out over the last 6 years quoting the Penguins GM said when we traded Jake, we wanted players in return who could help us win now that’s a quote, bub if we were really trying to rebuild, we would’ve taken no prospects and just took a first and two 2nd round picks for Jake

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Here? Probably 10% but it's sinking as time goes on by without making any changes. They did go on a run during the final stretch.
I wish they'd leave. They haven't won anything for nearly 7 years now. We don't owe those paycheck stealers a damn thing at this point. Loyalty is great and all until it compromises you're long term viability. And these dinosaurs are making it harder to do just that. They are an embarrassment!

Just remember, Kyle isn't the one who gave them lifetime contracts, oh no no no!

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I wish they'd leave. They haven't won anything for nearly 7 years now. We don't owe those paycheck stealers a damn thing at this point. Loyalty is great and all until it compromises you're long term viability. And these dinosaurs are making it harder to do just that. They are an embarrassment!

Just remember, Kyle isn't the one who gave them lifetime contracts, oh no no no!
As much as I wanna see them play for GLORY to end their seasons, I doubt they care about that. 3 cups, now it's about friendships, and Crosby wants to play for only 1 team his entire career.

Reactions: EVGENIMERLIN

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
As much as I wanna see them play for GLORY to end their seasons, I doubt they care about that. 3 cups, now it's about friendships, and Crosby wants to play for only 1 team his entire career.
It's about them stealing paychecks and holding us back. We're rebuilding, but because of them sticking around it'll take longer.

TimmyD

Nov 11, 2013
Greensburg, PA
Dubas’ plan is fine, the execution sucks…no one is saying he has to strip it to the studs but he hasn’t traded one vet yet, except Jake at the deadline because he wanted to go to market…if the plan is to get young hungry players around the core, where are we? I don’t blame him if no one wants Jarry or Smith, but he absolutely needs to trade Petts and ask Rust to waive if there are markets for them….no one but the core should be unmoveable
Yes. Trade Petts and Rust. Don’t bring Ned back and roll with a Jarry/Blomqvist tandem (or trade Jarry and then bring Ned back to roll with a Ned/Blomqvist tandem). Shop EK at 25% retained to see what’s out there.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Nothing regarding this team would make me happier because truthfully this ''show'' of dual agendas will take longer as far as the rebuild goes. If we could sell off Sid we'd get a minimum of two 1st rounders and very likely a quality young NHLer. OR the equivalent. Particularly if we retained a bit. I want him gone so bad. The assets would really help kick the rebuild into high gear.

I agree. I have no idea why either side would want to stay at this point outside of the legacy of being with one team, but not sure winners like those three care about that if the team is just going to fully commit to the doldrums.

Holy complaints batman. Some of yall are insufferable. I remember why I don't post here much, no matter what happens, the sky is always falling.

Later my dog.

We started the rebuild by acquiring a 28 year old roster player and a 2nd round pick?

That’s why people are pissed. If we are rebuilding the return in the Guentzel trade makes no sense.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Nothing regarding this team would make me happier because truthfully this ''show'' of dual agendas will take longer as far as the rebuild goes. If we could sell off Sid we'd get a minimum of two 1st rounders and very likely a quality young NHLer. OR the equivalent. Particularly if we retained a bit. I want him gone so bad. The assets would really help kick the rebuild into high gear.

At this point, I'd agree.

Pretty lame approach by Kindergarten Kyle, but not shocking tbh. Dude is a total fraud.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Malkin for one has literally said that he would play no where else but Pittsburgh.

You can speculate why. Comfort. Roots of being the only home in the US that he has known.

Players have numerous reasons for taking less to stay somewhere. Often they marry and have family in the area.

Are we really complaining because the core like Pittsburgh so much that they would sacrifice a better cup chance and money to stay?

How dare they? Selfish bastards.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Malkin for one has literally said that he would play no where else but Pittsburgh.

You can speculate why. Comfort. Roots of being the only home in the US that he has known.

Players have numerous reasons for taking less to stay somewhere. Often they marry and have family in the area.

Are we really complaining because the core like Pittsburgh so much that they would sacrifice a better cup chance and money to stay?

I'm not complaining. The core chooses what they want to do.

Just pretty pathetic what this franchise has done over the last 4 years to support them while they have still been putting up solid numbers.

Reactions: BusinessGoose

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I'm not complaining. The core chooses what they want to do.

Just pretty pathetic what this franchise has done over the last 4 years to support them while they have still been putting up solid numbers.
Better choices certainly could have been made. In trades, free agent signings, coaching, etc.

However, a combination of father time and a completely bare cupboard from years of trading away everything not nailed down, especially picks and prospects, to go for it year after year was much more the cause.

You can't win without cheap young talent coming up in the system to supplement the core in a Cap world.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Better choices certainly could have been made. In trades, free agent signings, coaching, etc.

However, a combination of father time and a completely bare cupboard from years of trading away everything not nailed down, especially picks and prospects, to go for it year after year was much more the cause.

You can't win without cheap young talent coming up in the system to supplement the core in a Cap world.

Not sure I buy that.

The reality is multiple GMs have gotten too attached to core pieces and signing players like Tanev Ryan Graves and Jack Johnson to 5/6 year deals.

Rutherford ruined the cap picture in 2018 forward with shit signings.

Hextall wouldn't make the big move those two teams he got to the playoff needed and doubled down on a shit goaltending tandem.

And Kindergarten Kyle struck out on day one and instead of being creative and weilding his power this season, he's defaulted to the great Mike Sullivan.

This is largely on management for simply cap logistics, not assets.

The Penguins could've creatively used their 14th overall last year in a trade to get younger. Instead they selected Yager. Makes no sense.

The Penguins could've targeted youth in their signings last year. Instead they double downed on boring defensive vets like Eller and Acciar and signed an absolute albatross from day one in Graves.

The Penguins could have gotten some balls and fired Sullivan or Reirden after making a homerun swing in EK65. Instead they let the team wilt on the vine.

This is entirely Kyle Dubas' issue and blaming this on the assets, prospects, etc is a joke. He locked us into this problem.

Boston is a perfect example of how easily the Penguins good have had success with their older core and a win now mentality that was intelligently approached.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
If JR kept all those picks we might have had actual young talent coming out of WBS. But naw, Tom Wilson.

No prospect or pick (+5 after) that JR traded turned into anything impactful sans Barzal.

If you want to be mad, be mad that having Sid, Geno, and Letang kept us cup contenders for 15 years.

Conroy has traded every UFA that had value so far.

Conroy was hired on May 23, 2023, and it took him just shy of 13 months to make 10 trades.
June 27, 2023: traded Tyler Toffoli to New Jersey for Yegor Sharangovich and 2023 third-round pick
Nov. 30, 2023: traded Nikita Zadorov to Vancouver for 2026 third-round pick and 2024 fifth-round pick
Jan. 31, 2024: traded Elias Lindholm to Vancouver for Andrei Kuzmenko, Hunter Brzustewicz, Joni Jurmo, 2024 first-round pick and 2024 fourth-round pick
Feb. 28, 2024: traded Chris Tanev (50% salary retained) to New Jersey for Cole Brady
Feb. 28, 2024: traded Brady to Dallas for Artem Grushnikov, 2024 second-round pick and conditional 2026 third-round pick (not exercised)
Mar. 6, 2024: traded Noah Hanifin (50% salary retained) to Philadelphia for Mikhail Vorobyov
Mar. 6, 2024: traded Vorobyov to Vegas for Daniil Miromanov, 2026 first-round pick and 2024 third-round pick
Mar. 7, 2024: traded Emilio Pettersen to Dallas for Riley Damiani
Mar. 8, 2024: traded 2024 fifth-round pick to San Jose for Nikita Okhotiuk
June 19, 2024: traded Jacob Markstrom (31.25% salary retained) to New Jersey for Kevin Bahl and 2025 first-round pick

Calgary doesn't have Sidney Crosby at PPG. if they did, Conroy wouldn't have traded what he did.

The density in this thread is about to suck the entire world into it. Good lord people.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
At this point, I'd agree.

Pretty lame approach by Kindergarten Kyle, but not shocking tbh. Dude is a total fraud.
Not his fault in the least. He was given a bad hand, he's just trying to make the best of it! Not his fault these three have NMC's from other GM's.

If you're more worried about those individual players that's a very fair take on the matter. If you're looking at it from a team perspective however they're overstaying their welcome.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
It costs the better part of ten thousand dollars a year for a pair of tickets and parking.

Hockey is still a gate revenue sport. Television contracts are relatively miniscule.

Unless you are willing to reimburse ownership for the plummet in revenues if they gutted the team, don't blame them for letting Crosby and the others get their wish to finish their careers here.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh

A rebuild starting with a Guentzel trade would have happen while he still had 1/2 year term left. That's when they would have maximized a return on him. Not when he's UFA and only returns a roster player, 2nd conditional to be a 1st if they make the finals, a conditional 5th if they win the cup and 3 prospects.

Guentzel wasn't able to be afforded keeping him so they cut loose of him.

They also haven't finished and FA hits where they can still add.

When they start accruing draft capital and a good amount of cap space then they will be rebuilding.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Full roster of picks.

20 mil in cap to improve the team.

Solid group of forwards and D.

And no commitment to the previous goaltenders that had haunted the team.
Over the hill forwards who decidedly got worse as the year went along. A PP that was mind numbingly and inexplicably bad. He had one of the worst hands any GM could have possibly had.

The core let him down, he believed in them and they soiled the bed. THEN they got the blues when Jake was traded and played like shit. That's on them, not him.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
Joshua Tree, CA
Over the hill forwards who decidedly got worse as the year went along. A PP that was mind numbingly and inexplicably bad. He had one of the worst hands any GM could have possibly had.

The core let him down, he believed in them and they soiled the bed. THEN they got the blues when Jake was traded and played like shit. That's on them, not him.

He created the majority of the roster outside of Carter last year.

This year he has chosen to double down!

He's a fraud! A swindler! All hat and no cattle!

BusinessGoose

May 19, 2022
St. Louis
While the pens were relevant for nearly two decades, every other "contending" team had a few bad years along the way
The TBL, BOS, NYR, WAS, etc etc all had shit stretches.

We didn't. And we had like #60 draft picks cause we never had a low slot.

We didn't really play correct for a salary cap sport. Now we have to suffer the five year long reset we're lining up. Then five more for windows to open.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad