Speculation: 2024 Offseason Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
You could make an argument that Suter’s penalties lost us the series. The refs didn’t help, but he didn’t either. I’m all for jumping ship.

Reactions: LT and redbeardtx

roryjones

Oct 17, 2022
I think they need to identify who the core guys are and who is untouchable and build around them. Johnston, Heiskanen and Oettinger for sure are untouchable. Harley and Stankoven are right up there with them. Robertson, Hintz and Lindell are part of that core group.

This team does need an It guy. Someone who teams have to game plan around and someone who can take over a game. Wyatt seems like he can get there. But they need more playoff style guys. Too many disappeared.

Anybody in the trade market of interest?

What is Guentzel looking for in a contract? He would be amazing as he is a proven playoff guy.

Reactions: Dallasman

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I think they need to identify who the core guys are and who is untouchable and build around them. Johnston, Heiskanen and Oettinger for sure are untouchable. Harley and Stankoven are right up there with them. Robertson, Hintz and Lindell are part of that core group.

This team does need an It guy. Someone who teams have to game plan around and someone who can take over a game. Wyatt seems like he can get there. But they need more playoff style guys. Too many disappeared.

Anybody in the trade market of interest?

What is Guentzel looking for in a contract? He would be amazing as he is a proven playoff guy.
Id love for us to acquire Guentz and I think it’s possible. With the money we’re shedding from Pavs/Duchene, they can throw it at Guentz.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Id love for us to acquire Guentz and I think it’s possible. With the money we’re shedding from Pavs/Duchene, they can throw it at Guentz.

Only thing is, I really wonder what kind of deal he is looking for. I'm guessing the 5-7 year range at $7-8m+. He's gonna be looking to get paid no doubt.

He'd probably be my #1 choice when it comes to free agents but idk. He'd fit really nicely in our top 6 and with our playstyle.

I also think Stamkos would be nice but doubt he leaves Tampa and not sure how great he'd be for us in the playoffs, but if he wants to sign a 2-3 year Pavelski type deal that's not the worst thing in the world. Someone will overpay him too though if he hits the market and probably will also give him 4+ year term which is not ideal.

Plenty of former Cup winners to choose from in free agency. Imo we need at least 1 of them.

Nice thing is, most of them are really good goal scorers.

Sports2

WDI
Jul 1, 2018
In the nicest way possible: Are they f***ing stupid?

Ryan Suter is 39 years old. You signed him knowing how the passage of time works. You took away his partner that he played well with. He gave you everything he had through two grueling series against extremely difficult competition while in DeBoer's defense blender. And now you're mad he struggled against McDavid? I was against the Suter deal forever but he actually found his role this season once they came to grips with reality. Buying him out is a waste of time.
I wasn’t going to say it since I’m a Suter apologist, but Suter had a solid first two rounds. And to your point, he is 39. The defense was cooked by Game 6. Heiskanen got walked by McDavid, Tanev had a turnover that led to a goal. It’s not his fault they weren’t on the same page about Nils- or didn’t have a backup plan. I understand he hasn’t brought the same level of production as Pavelski, but if were giving him a pass for being old Suter should get slack as well.

Which isn’t to say I don’t think he should be bought out. Maybe he should be- but yes, the attitude and thought process of casting him out while giving Pavelski the hero’s welcome kind of sucks.

Last edited:

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
Put this thought forward to some fellas, and this goes against my “you can’t change things too much” spiel earlier, but with Hak and Suter leaving, what if you found a way to get two top four D to really go for it? Could put Esa on the third pair with Nils, then suddenly you can roll three pairs. Walk with me-

Miro-Tanev
Harley-Pesce/Roy/So on
Esa-Nils
Petro

Also very with needing a burner that can contribute on the PP. Don’t know the price tag on Nik Ehlers but he’d be perfect.

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Put this thought forward to some fellas, and this goes against my “you can’t change things too much” spiel earlier, but with Hak and Suter leaving, what if you found a way to get two top four D to really go for it? Could put Esa on the third pair with Nils, then suddenly you can roll three pairs. Walk with me-

Miro-Tanev
Harley-Pesce/Roy/So on
Esa-Nils
Petro

Also very with needing a burner that can contribute on the PP. Don’t know the price tag on Nik Ehlers but he’d be perfect.
If we signed Tanev and Pesce/Roy/So on, what kinda space would we have left for a forward? Ehlers would be a fantastic get.

Zrhutch

Mar 26, 2013
Texas
If we signed Tanev and Pesce/Roy/So on, what kinda space would we have left for a forward? Ehlers would be a fantastic get.
That’s above my pay grade and I’d have to play around on capfriendly, but if you’re bridging Harley it feels doable with some buy in from whoever you’re signing on a team friendly deal. Could put us in a bind with RFAs later though.

Reactions: Kipper 17

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
Learn from history or be doomed to repeat it.*

*Link is for a Vegas reddit thread about PDB after the Knight's 2nd straight WCF loss. If you did word substitutions of Vegas->Dallas and Knights->Stars, it would apply perfectly to our current situation. I guess we'll see if we miss the playoffs next season?
I want to keep Pete but god damn I want Spott gone. Keeping him feels like a guarantee that you are going to badly lose a special teams battle in the playoffs once you go up against a competent and aggressive PK.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
I think their powerplay was just too predictable and they were trying to force things that weren't going to happen with how aggressive the Oilers were playing. A distinct lack of puck poise all around.

I think it is 100% on the coaching staff for not adapting to the pressure every year.

And the Cowlishaw thing... he's a shockjock at this point.

Reactions: MarotteMarauder

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
NJ fan who lives in the Dallas TV market coming in peace.

I have watched Stars hockey for years at this point.

Obviously you folks are bitterly disappointed and rightfully so.

Still, keep your heads up. Your team battled hard and gained valuable experience.

Your team is top notch and only going to get better.

Guys like Johnston and Stankoven and Harley are clearly just getting started.

Otter Heiskanen and Robertson may all have a bit of improvement left in them.

You have tough veterans and can play any way the other team wants.

If Florida is the league's deepest team the Stars are right there with them.

Congrats on a great season and you will have many more to cheer for in the next 10 years.

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
Do we think there is any possibility of trading for a burner? Or are we too close with a solid group that the risk won't be taken.

I'd love to try and get Barzal from the Islanders. Think Dallas has the best top 6 in the league if you put him on the right wing of Robertson and Hintz.

Would cost Borque, a 1st and maybe a player like Marchment. But I would consider doing it.

Sign some of the cheaper RD defenseman, some depth bottom 6 then go all in.

Pie in the sky thinking but man how good would this line-up be

Robertson-Hintz-Barzal
Benn-Johnston-Stankoven
Xx-Seguin-Dadonov
Steel-Faksa-Xx

Harley-Heiskanen
Lindell-xx
Bischel-xx

Oettinger

Probably just a silly season post as the pain is still fresh.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Do we think there is any possibility of trading for a burner? Or are we too close with a solid group that the risk won't be taken.

I'd love to try and get Barzal from the Islanders. Think Dallas has the best top 6 in the league if you put him on the right wing of Robertson and Hintz.

Would cost Borque, a 1st and maybe a player like Marchment. But I would consider doing it.

Robertson-Hintz-Barzal
Benn-Johnston-Stankoven
Xx-Seguin-Dadonov
Steel-Faksa-Xx

Harley-Heiskanen
Lindell-xx
Bischel-xx

Oettinger

It'd be significantly more costly to get Barzal than that I would imagine. Islanders have nothing and nobody to replace him anytime soon.

Reactions: catters078

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX

Robertson-Hintz-Barzal
Benn-Johnston-Stankoven
Xx-Seguin-Dadonov
Steel-Faksa-Xx

Harley-Heiskanen
Lindell-xx
Bischel-xx

Oettinger

You're smoking crack if you think the Isles would deal Barzal, especially considering who their GM is.

Plus, by the time Lou Lam sends their trade negotiator via horse & wagon through the Oregon Trail, Barzal would already be on the decline or dead from dysentery

redbeardtx

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
Wonder if we could get a LW like Farabee from Philly, then run:

Farabee - Johnston - Stankoven

Not sure how they'd pull it off, but that would be a goodin.

BfantZ

Jun 22, 2017
Don’t quite get the duchesne hate . Didn’t put up numbers in the playoffs but he was one of the guys who i thought was consistently winning races and started a lot of the big momentum swings where we hemmed them in there own zone .Was probably the biggest bargain deal of the regular season . A lot of his downfall I think was due to having pavelski instead of seguin on his line alot in the playoffs . I’d be happy bringing him back cheap .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad