Speculation: 2024 Offseason Talk

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
Talking about player changes is all well and good, but it matters naught if Pete really won't can his buddy.

I agree that you need a difference maker at forward in the playoffs but I think we have that guy. Wyatt. Look at what he did as mostly a 20 year old. I think Stank is going to be an excellent playoff performer as well.

I think we do need more physicality as well but we don’t need to go crazy in that regard.
I kept thinking Wyatt while reading the post. He's that guy. Especially if he gets even better.

ElGuapo

^Plethora of piñatas
Nov 30, 2010
Nomad
What about Faksa? He’s so f***ing useless now.

Yes, try to get rid of him.
Suter
Duchene
Hakanpaa
Pavs likely retiring
Whoever else I'm forgetting about off the top of my head.

Try to improve team speed with the replacements, and guys who aren't well into their 30s who will be worn out by June.

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
It doesn't take much to figure out what the problems are, the question is, will Nill address them appropriately over the summer? If his goal isn't just 'playoff time for hype'....

Frozen Failure

They got business in my hockey, and I hate it.
Nov 13, 2007
DFW
Oh, that's nothing to worry about. Someone would have to offer him a crazy contract to get him to sign one.

Like I said, a 7m for 7 years contract right now would be a crazy move for someone who wants Harley, but someone out the might think its a good move.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I'd be alright with 7x7 for Harley. Would much prefer a bridge deal, though.

Reactions: redbeardtx

Troy McClure

Suter will never be scratched
Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
Like I said, a 7m for 7 years contract right now would be a crazy move for someone who wants Harley, but someone out the might think its a good move.
See, I think he’d be an idiot to sign that because it would cost him a lot of money in the long term. He’ll be getting a much bigger deal from the Stars in a few seasons.

Reactions: LT

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
So if we buy out Suter, let all UFAs walk, resign Harley to a bridge and resign Steel and Nils for a year or two, approximately how much cap will we have?

Robo - Hintz - Seguin
Benn - Wyatt - Stank
March - Mav - ??
?? - Faska - Steel

Miro - Harley
Lindell - ??
Bichsel - Nils

Otter
??

starsfan86

Sep 27, 2006
So if we buy out Suter, let all UFAs walk, resign Harley to a bridge and resign Steel and Nils for a year or two, approximately how much cap will we have?

Robo - Hintz - Seguin
Benn - Wyatt - Stank
March - Mav - ??
?? - Faska - Steel

Miro - Harley
Lindell - ??
Bichsel - Nils

Otter
??
lol Nils won’t be the 6d as long as PDB is coaching.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

Robo - Hintz - Seguin
Benn - Wyatt - Stank
March - Mav - ??
?? - Faska - Steel

Miro - Harley
Lindell - ??
Bichsel - Nils

Otter
??
The defense overall is going to be interesting to watch. It should be in for a major shakeup.

Three guys back for sure
Miro and Lindell are the only guys under contract who will be back. Harley is an RFA who will get a new contract.

The Rest is Chaos
Suter
is under contract but is a great buyout candidate. My guess is, even if he is thinking about retiring, his agent will tell him not to do so but to instead let the Stars pay him to retire. He’s paid too much to be a #5/6 guy.
Hakanpaa is gone.
Petrovic won’t be back on the NHL roster, but he did an admirable job given what was asked of him.
Tanev is going to get some good offers. As solid as he was, he’s also of an age where any team is likely going to regret the majority of any contract he signs. He’s turning 35 during next season and has fought through a lot of injuries over the years.
Lundkvist is an RFA. His qualifying offer is pretty much league minimum, so I expect Nill to qualify him and do the same thing of handing him a job to start the season hoping maybe this third time he’ll actually hold down his job. I have low expectations here.
Bichsel will almost certainly start the season in the AHL unless he’s awesome in camp. Then when Lundkvist starts eating scratches again, Bichsel might have a chance later in the season to take over the job.

With only three every day defensemen set for sure, that means four spots are up for grabs.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
Something that hasn't been spoken about yet is if Benn gets an extension this off-season.

I'm almost expecting it to happen just because I don't see the Stars allowing that distraction to be had during the season. If both sides are on the same page, I can see it getting done early in the summer.

Reactions: TrillMike

Kipper 17

Aug 11, 2006
Calgary, AB
lol Nils won’t be the 6d as long as PDB is coaching.
You know I had added an asterisk to that pairing to acknowledge this but took it out because I am just putting names down in spots. The question is about how much $$ we will have to fill holes in the lineup. The placement of players is not important.

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013

Robo - Hintz - Seguin
Benn - Wyatt - Stank
March - Mav - ??
?? - Faska - Steel

Miro - Harley
Lindell - ??
Bichsel - Nils

Otter
??
You are forgetting Dadonov, but with those the cap hit would be around $77M, with the salary cap being at $87,7M

Johno

We deserve it
Oct 30, 2013
Right, I did forget, thanks
So as we stand the cap hit is $69,158,334
Carryover bonuses: $2,595,407
Suter buyout relief: pricele... I mean $2,866,666

I figure Harley's bridge looks like 3y @ 4.6-4.7 CAP%
Steel I think is looking at 2y @ 1.5-1.9 CAP%
Nils QO is $874,125

Dallasman

Jun 23, 2002
You never know...
Something that hasn't been spoken about yet is if Benn gets an extension this off-season.

I'm almost expecting it to happen just because I don't see the Stars allowing that distraction to be had during the season. If both sides are on the same page, I can see it getting done early in the summer.
I'd give him 2 years tops for length. Not sure on $$$.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven

I kinda think given his age and wear and tear, I'd hold off talking to him at all until next summer. See how does does after another season. He's about to turn 35.

piqued

nos merentur hoc
Nov 22, 2006
-Suter will be bought out. Ownership is pissed at him for his shitty play last year in the Vegas series and is even more mad at how he played this year in the WCF
In the nicest way possible: Are they f***ing stupid?

Ryan Suter is 39 years old. You signed him knowing how the passage of time works. You took away his partner that he played well with. He gave you everything he had through two grueling series against extremely difficult competition while in DeBoer's defense blender. And now you're mad he struggled against McDavid? I was against the Suter deal forever but he actually found his role this season once they came to grips with reality. Buying him out is a waste of time.

MBTendy

May 6, 2009
I kinda think given his age and wear and tear, I'd hold off talking to him at all until next summer. See how does does after another season. He's about to turn 35.
I’d agree if it was some guy who was brought in a few years ago. This is the player who the Stars have made the face of the franchise for over a decade and will probably go down as one of the best in franchise history alongside the guys currently up in the rafters at the AAC.

Jamie hasn’t missed a game since the 2020/21 and is still producing on average 61 points in his last three seasons. Not to mention he is still a top contributor in the playoffs.

He changed his game a couple years ago by not playing as physical and has worked on his speed which has paid off. The limited minutes have also played a big role in that change too.

If it wasn’t for his slow start, we would have probably seen another 70-80 point season from Jamie.

I don’t think his play the last few years warrants the Stars on holding off until next summer to decide if it’s worth it. If a contract extension is on the table this offseason at 2/3 years at 4mill, it’s an easy yes for me.

Troy McClure

Mar 12, 2002
South of Heaven
In the nicest way possible: Are they f***ing stupid?

Ryan Suter is 39 years old. You signed him knowing how the passage of time works. You took away his partner that he played well with. He gave you everything he had through two grueling series against extremely difficult competition while in DeBoer's defense blender. And now you're mad he struggled against McDavid? I was against the Suter deal forever but he actually found his role this season once they came to grips with reality. Buying him out is a waste of time.
The problem is a $3.65 million cap hit for a bottom pairing guy who plays on your second PK unit is too much. And yeah he played fine the first couple of rounds, but he was also mostly playing with Miro, Tanev, and Lindell to help prop him up. It worked while they had the legs to do so, but the gas ran out. They then added Petrovic who got decent results overall with Suter, but we saw last night how Suter's old legs got beat too easily as he also wore down.

Here's both who Suter played with minutes wise and their xGF%s.

Suter-Miro 92:52 - 50.18% xGF%
Suter-Tanev 66:44 - 50.18% xGF%
Suter-Petrovic 60.24 - 54.52% xGF%
Suter-Lindell 47:33 - 52.52% xGF%
Suter-Harley 34:14 - 76.48% xGF%
Suter-Lundkvist 19:37 - 46.26% xGF%

Reactions: Dallasman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad