Speculation: 2024 Off-season Team Discussion

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Reactions: DustyDangler

samabam

May 3, 2006
Munich
Utah would be smart to try and hold onto as much of that cap space as they can. I know the organization has had a insane amount of draft picks over the past few years but if a team comes calling to retain on a 3 way deal on a rental and it can grab up a 2nd? Why not?
I think this would depend on for how long the retention is. We should not forget that one of three retention slots is occupied for a very long time by the OEL buyout and occupying a second long term will cost a lot of flexibility

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Exacty on Tavares...if TOR had lets say, a Sam Bennett or similar player in his position instead of Tavares and had been able to keep guys like Kadri and Hyman, I think they would have already had much more playoff success. I have nothing to back that up it's just a feeling...I think they got caught chasing stars around for a while there and lost the vision of what a Stanley Cup winning team really looks like. Imagine if instead of Tavares and Domi they had Kadri and Bennett...and instead of Bobby McMann they had Zach Hyman. Instantly they're a more deep, better team to me that wins more playoff games and no one is talking about Marner. If Utah doesn't build their team the right way and insulate guys like Keller and Maccelli with depth and grit, and glue type players then a few years down the road the same conversations will be had about them that are being had about Marner now...
You hit the nail on the head.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Toronto brought in Tavares for 11M and then their young players at the time in Matthews, Marner, Nylander could point to his contract when it was time to negotiate their own deals.

Same thing would happen here with Marner. If he is making 12M, it's a helluva lot easier for Guenther, Cooley, etc., to ask for 9-10M on their next deal. And then all of a sudden you're out of cap.
Players have agents for a reason. If you don't perform, you don't get paid. If a player is worth 9-10 mil. they won't get 12mil. because a player on the team does. The players in TO are getting paid because of their play, the problem is all their money is on forwards. Tavares was a dumb signing at the get go. My opinion of course.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Players have agents for a reason. If you don't perform, you don't get paid. If a player is worth 9-10 mil. they won't get 12mil. because a player on the team does. The players in TO are getting paid because of their play, the problem is all their money is on forwards. Tavares was a dumb signing at the get go. My opinion of course.
Make the case for Nylander's new contract and Marner's old one?? You can't find comparables to justify either. With the exection of this season Nylander will make more than Pasternak every year of their careers......case closed. Tavares was a Luxury tge Leafs did not need and should have only been signed if he would accept a very team friendly deal

LittlePipes

Vortech V7
Feb 22, 2020
It’s July, so I re-watched the 2nd to last game of the year last night ( tablo archive). The Yotes beat Vancouver in Vancouver 4-3 in OT.
A couple few things (re)stood out
1) Keller was awful
2) Guenther and Cooley were really good! The OT winner was just so nice
3) Ingram was fantastic, inc. a save on a penalty shot in the OT
I really dont care too much, at this point, that the team is in Utah. I’m looking forward to watching this team moving forward!

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I think this would depend on for how long the retention is. We should not forget that one of three retention slots is occupied for a very long time by the OEL buyout and occupying a second long term will cost a lot of flexibility
I meant it for pure rentals meaning it would drop off after the season.

crazyhockeylover96

Mar 14, 2009
I feel like there’s a goalie trade coming. Utah has no ECHL affiliate but a home was found for Thornton last year. Maybe Veggie gets traded then everyone shifts up?

Ingram
Vejmelka (UFA)

Villalta
Stauber (RFA)
Wells (AHL contract)
Thornton

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
This list is stunning to me...

1720724226640.png

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
I feel like there’s a goalie trade coming. Utah has no ECHL affiliate but a home was found for Thornton last year. Maybe Veggie gets traded then everyone shifts up?

Ingram
Vejmelka (UFA)

Villalta
Stauber (RFA)
Wells (AHL contract)
Thornton
Goalies don't get much in trade. Moving Veggie does not make the UHC better than the stability the tandem brings.

Ad

Ad

Ad