Podcast (Audio) Edmonton Sports Radio/Podcast Thread - Part 7

The best Edmonton sports radio show/podcast?

• Total voters

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
He won't do it, but Gregor needs to replace Lowetide with Reid Wilkins and bring back an Oilers Lunch segment. It would kill.
I dont know what happened to Lowetide.
I used to enjoy his show back in the day.
Wilkens is 'okay'...kind of vanilla but still likely a step up from Lowetide.

I completely agree about a lunch time Oilers show though. I have hardly listened to Oilers Now since they changed the time slot.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He won't do it, but Gregor needs to replace Lowetide with Reid Wilkins and bring back an Oilers Lunch segment. It would kill.

I agree, Lowetide might be the worst in all of Edmonton.
Oh boy his last segment today was the worse radio I've heard in a long time.

I don't even fully know what the question was as the reception broke up, but something about who was the third leading Canadian left shot forward this year. Have no idea if it's goals or points as even they seemed confused when they read the question. Seems like a quick 10 second check on nhl.com to find out, but you got to listen to lowetide mumble for ten minutes while he went team by team searching for who it could be.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005

I don't even fully know what the question was as the reception broke up, but something about who was the third leading Canadian left shot forward this year. Have no idea if it's goals or points as even they seemed confused when they read the question. Seems like a quick 10 second check on nhl.com to find out, but you got to listen to lowetide mumble for ten minutes while he went team by team searching for who it could be.
He has no guests, doesn't take calls, rambles incoherently and has no chemistry with Declan - who is quite good.

The show was actually quiet good when Lowetide was on holidays.

Pretty sure those guys monitor this thread.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
He has no guests, doesn't take calls, rambles incoherently and has no chemistry with Declan - who is quite good.

He use to be mean to Declan was just cringe worthy to me.

I generally don't catch of his show anyway, but I happened to be somewhere with it on so I listened.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

I might catch one of his shows per week unless I'm working from home. I'm surprised at how bad the reception is for 1440 driving around the city of Edmonton. They need a better signal.

Accurate take.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I might catch one of his shows per week unless I'm working from home. I'm surprised at how bad the reception is for 1440 driving around the city of Edmonton. They need a better signal.

Accurate take.
Mine is usually pretty good unless I'm by massive power lines or a heavy construction site.

Sure drives me nuts when you have a guy like Terry Ryan phoning in from some place with horrid reception. Not the first time this has happened with him specifically, but in general these guys need to tell their guests to have good reception or don't call into the show.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Mine is usually pretty good unless I'm by massive power lines or a heavy construction site.

Sure drives me nuts when you have a guy like Terry Ryan phoning in from some place with horrid reception. Not the first time this has happened with him specifically, but in general these guys need to tell their guests to have good reception or don't call into the show.
I'm certain they pay their guests something, I'm sure its not a lot but a least have a solid connection. The closer you get to Wetaskiwin it gets better. Supposedly there is a boost happening a couple of months.

Reactions: oilers'72

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Dude is an asshat. Every time I listen/watch him on Edmonton Sports Talk, I get angry.

He's a f***ing idiot.

Last time I heard him say anything at all was when I tuned into the Knoblauch press conference on EST. Conference ends and he leads with "not sure what THAT was, McDavid is clearly pulling the strings, AND THEY HIRED COFFEY, etc, etc." Basically a master list of bad takes exposed, and all in that nasally, whiny, bitch tone.

He's a weird fit in that group. The rest of them seem like normal, easy going, straight up dudes. Meanwhile Iwanyk feels like the type that would take a leave of absence if they kicked off a meeting without doing a land acknowledgement first.

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton
He's a f***ing idiot.

Last time I heard him say anything at all was when I tuned into the Knoblauch press conference on EST. Conference ends and he leads with "not sure what THAT was, McDavid is clearly pulling the strings, AND THEY HIRED COFFEY, etc, etc." Basically a master list of bad takes exposed, and all in that nasally, whiny, bitch tone.

He's a weird fit in that group. The rest of them seem like normal, easy going, straight up dudes. Meanwhile Iwanyk feels like the type that would take a leave of absence if they kicked off a meeting without doing a land acknowledgement first.
I just about spit my drink out reading this. I do not like to get political in things, but he is the pure definition of a woke soyboy loser.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
He's a f***ing idiot.

Lol. We don't agree on everything, but we agree on this.

Iwanyk is an obnoxious nerd. They keep him around because he fills some airtime but more importantly is a free IT staffer.

The whole EST is a bit of a comedy show. It isn't serious sports talk. Some like it that way but it's not for me.

I check in on YouTube to see what they get for watchers. This summer they draw 200-300 per day. While a different time slot, Gregor draws 10-15x that. I don't see how the business model works long term for them.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

Iwanyk is an obnoxious nerd. They keep him around because he fills some airtime but more importantly is a free IT staffer.

The whole EST is a bit of a comedy show. It isn't serious sports talk. Some like it that way but it's not for me.

I check in on YouTube to see what they get for watchers. This summer they draw 200-300 per day. While a different time slot, Gregor draws 10-15x that. I don't see how the business model works long term for them.

One strength they have is they have loyal listeners and are able to pretty effectively funnel them towards products that they are promoting. The A&W whistle dogs that sold out a few years ago city wide and the popularity of the EST beer they put out are top of mind examples that would be extremely valuable to advertisers.

I'm assuming that they are able to leverage this to charge more handsome ad fees then maybe they would get otherwise.

Reactions: oilers'72

Stauf4Prez

Designated Survivor
Jan 22, 2017
Edmonton

His social media presence is what makes me want to jump in front of traffic, not so much his nasally pipsqueak voice on the radio suprisingly.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
One strength they have is they have loyal listeners and are able to pretty effectively funnel them towards products that they are promoting. The A&W whistle dogs that sold out a few years ago city wide and the popularity of the EST beer they put out are top of mind examples that would be extremely valuable to advertisers.

I'm assuming that they are able to leverage this to charge more handsome ad fees then maybe they would get otherwise.
If there are only 200-300 people listening that isn't exactly many to do much

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
If there are only 200-300 people listening that isn't exactly many to do much

Isn't that just YouTube viewers not total listeners?

His social media presence is what makes me want to jump in front of traffic, not so much his nasally pipsqueak voice on the radio suprisingly.

I'm not sure I've seen a bigger social media melt down than the one he had when "Eskimos" changed to "Elks." He basically couldn't physically handle that some people didn't like it.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Was reading about it on mains. No real information other than he was at draft and then took red eye home first night or something.

Really bizarre because if it was draft related you'd think someone would've caught what he said in his interviews. Unless of course he did something bad behind closed doors.

"Draft related" is so vague too.

"Draft related" as in he said something dumb/confidential to a player or team that ended up burning him, or "draft related" as in he went out on the town and was caught with hookers and blow in his hotel room? Could be any of the above.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
"Draft related" is so vague too.

"Draft related" as in he said something dumb/confidential to a player or team that ended up burning him, or "draft related" as in he went out on the town and was caught with hookers and blow in his hotel room? Could be any of the above.
I would guess the latter.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad