Speculation: 2024 Off-season Team Discussion

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Ceci is the shits for any team thinking SC, but on Utah with one year remaining on his contract he would look like Bobby Orr.

Top Shelf? Don't waste your time on that guy.
It would cost the Oilers dearly to dump the player and his $3.2 million cap hit.

I would ask for Savoie.

Reactions: Schemp

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
@Grimes and @Mosby and I were talking about Soderstrom+ for Ceci a week ago as something that could make some sense. I still think it makes a lot of sense.

Sergachev-Marino
Cole-Durzi
Valimaki-Ceci
Kesselring

^ decent depth for inevitable injuries.
I still believe in Kolyachonok and think that there are better options like Whitecloud

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I would rather just give Soderstrom the full year on the 3rd line to see what we have. If he loses a few games for us it’s ok. It won’t be the difference between us going to the finals or bowing out in the conferences. Let’s see if he can do it. If not, we have Sergachev and 2 more D in the pipeline anyway.

The only position (excepting a chance to land a game changing F) that I would hope to upgrade is goalie.
I think with the improvements to the blueline, we'll see the goalie tandem will appear dominate.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Has he not been Tucson's best D for the past few years?

That's worth an opportunity with the big club.
AGAIN? I do think he will have success on another team, just not here. Him and Kolyachonok will not pass through waivers this time.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Soderstrom was drafted half a decade ago and has yet to show even a glimpse of anything.
Still irks me every time I think Chayka made the trade to move UP - I just knew he was being the analytics guy and drafting pint sized Caulfield. Then, Soderstrom.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I would rather just give Soderstrom the full year on the 3rd line to see what we have. If he loses a few games for us it’s ok. It won’t be the difference between us going to the finals or bowing out in the conferences. Let’s see if he can do it. If not, we have Sergashev and 2 more D in the pipeline anyway.

The only position (excepting a chance to land a game changing F) that I would hope to upgrade is goalie.
I agree. Have Soderstrom as the 7th. Ceci does only have one year remaining on his deal which helps, so I would be ok either way really.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
It would cost the Oilers dearly to dump the player and his $3.2 million cap hit.

I would ask for Savoie.
The Oilers are up against the cap. They made a few nice signings at forward, and I guess they are hoping Broberg can be an everyday player.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I still believe in Kolyachonok and think that there are better options like Whitecloud
Whitecloud has a longer contract. Might put Utah in a log jam in the back end after next year.

The rumor I read a few days ago (forget source) speculated that the deal would likely be Ceci, 2025 5th, and 2026 2nd to Utah.
I think BA wants the playoffs this year.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
Whitecloud has a longer contract. Might put Utah in a log jam in the back end after next year.

I think BA wants the playoffs this year.
So you think that a log jam @ 3rd pairing RHD might create a problem for GMBA in 2 years? I can't see how a potential trade candidate can be a problem, not for a RHD and not for GMBA. And by that time we'll have a better indication of how well Valimaki and Kesselring can perform.
I do believe GMBA will not make any trades until he can evaluate how well the team meshes together at camp.

And GMBA expects to make the playoffs this season!

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Ya same with these Clean Hits guys ;) Just joking so very impressed great pod cast and writing. Have issues trying to go to paid level keeps saying I already have an account.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40

I would ask for Savoie.
I have no problem taking Ceci if we get a decent return for a cap dump, otherwise why bother? We also are at a point when acquiring more draft capital doesn't make sense if you take into consideration # of contracts that we may have in the future.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I have no problem taking Ceci if we get a decent return for a cap dump, otherwise why bother? We also are at a point when acquiring more draft capital doesn't make sense if you take into consideration # of contracts that we may have in the future.
Our RD depth sucks and we don’t have enough blueliners for two penalty killing units. Ceci was 4th in time on ice for Oilers D, first in PK time on ice, 3rd in blocks and 3rd in takeaways. He’s a fine bottom pairing defenseman who can PK. He’s just overpaid and overplayed in Edmonton.

Edmonton’s PK was ranked 15th last season. Arizona’s 25th.

Utah could use him. Utah needs to add to the blueline. Specifically they need a RD that can kill penalties and play spot duty in the top for in case of emergency. That’s not Kesselring and that’s not Soderstrom. Ceci fits the bill well.

I’d obviously rather trade for someone like Whitecloud but his availability is questionable and his acquisition cost is significantly higher. Same with Peeke. If not Ceci, I’d be okay with someone like Clifton or TvR, instead. I’m not sure of either are as likely to be available.

Reactions: Jakey53

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I wonder what the asking price for Laine is?
Send down Doan to Tucson to get some games in @ #1C?
Our RD depth sucks and we don’t have enough blueliners for two penalty killing units. Ceci was 4th in time on ice for Oilers D, first in PK time on ice, 3rd in blocks and 3rd in takeaways. He’s a fine bottom pairing defenseman who can PK. He’s just overpaid and overplayed in Edmonton.

Edmonton’s PK was ranked 15th last season. Arizona’s 25th.

Utah could use him. Utah needs to add to the blueline. Specifically they need a RD that can kill penalties and play spot duty in the top for in case of emergency. That’s not Kesselring and that’s not Soderstrom. Ceci fits the bill well.

I’d obviously rather trade for someone like Whitecloud but his availability is questionable and his acquisition cost is significantly higher. Same with Peeke. If not Ceci, I’d be okay with someone like Clifton or TvR, instead. I’m not sure of either are as likely to be available.
The only way I could see Utah taking on Ceci is if we trade Kesselring in another trade. Kolyachonok is fine in that role.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I wonder what the asking price for Laine is?
Send down Doan to Tucson to get some games in @ #1C?

The only way I could see Utah taking on Ceci is if we trade Kesselring in another trade. Kolyachonok is fine in that role.
Kesselring and Ceci don’t have much to do with eachother. We need the depth at RD. Trading Kesselring kills that and defeats the purpose. Kolyachonok isn’t a factor for me.

I think a winger is the last thing we need. Only way I’m interested in Laine is if Schmaltz goes the other way.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
Kesselring and Ceci don’t have much to do with eachother. We need the depth at RD. Trading Kesselring kills that and defeats the purpose. Kolyachonok isn’t a factor for me.

I think a winger is the last thing we need. Only way I’m interested in Laine is if Schmaltz goes the other way.
We need to lets guys in the pipeline grow and develop on big club. No use trading for a stop-gap guy like Ceci when we aren't even a team looking to contend yet.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
We need to lets guys in the pipeline grow and develop on big club.
Name them.
No use trading for a stop-gap guy like Ceci when we aren't even a team looking to contend yet.
There’s no use trading anything of value for Ceci. Fortunately, that’s not likely to be a requirement.

Reactions: Jakey53

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad