Speculation: 2024 Off-season Team Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
More angles here...

Edit: I love how the NHL allows individuality on the goalie helmets as it is a great tradition. I think the artwork is beautiful but love it or hate the visual, I really love that Vegie chose team over individuality on this one and made Utah the focus.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
I think Sarah Merrifield is the Todd Walsh equivalent and she seems exceedingly more to the point and better overall to me.
To me, that would justify moving the franchise more than attendance.
The most positive moment so far for the franchise!
RUN FROM WALSH to the Utah Hockey Club... what a great slogan!

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
So excited for pre-season games to start.

I see training camp as a battle between Doan, Stenlund, Carcone, O'Brien and Sokolov. Two will get bottom six RW starting roles. One will get press box duty and two will be hitting waivers (except Doan is waiver exempt).

Keller Hayton Schmaltz
Crouse Cooley Guenther
Maccelli Bjugstad Doan
Kerfoot McBain Stenlund
Carcone Sokolov OBrien

Sergachev Marino
Cole Durzi
Valimaki Kesselring
Kolyachonok Soderstom
Bortuzzo

Vejmelka
Ingram

On defence, starting pairs are set. The battle is purely for the press box. Kolyachonok, Soderstom, Bortuzzo and Szuber will be in the mix. I'd keep two and cut two (meaning only one press box forward).

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40

I see training camp as a battle between Doan, Stenlund, Carcone, O'Brien and Sokolov. Two will get bottom six RW starting roles. One will get press box duty and two will be hitting waivers (except Doan is waiver exempt).

Keller Hayton Schmaltz
Crouse Cooley Guenther
Maccelli Bjugstad Doan
Kerfoot McBain Stenlund
Carcone Sokolov OBrien

Sergachev Marino
Cole Durzi
Valimaki Kesselring
Kolyachonok Soderstom
Bortuzzo

Vejmelka
Ingram

On defence, starting pairs are set. The battle is purely for the press box. Kolyachonok, Soderstom, Bortuzzo and Szuber will be in the mix. I'd keep two and cut two (meaning only one press box forward).
The numbers game.
Sending down Doan is one possibility, but Maccelli and Bjugstad benefit more with him in the lineup than any of the others. However I can see them send him down at the beginning of the season until something happens (trade, injury, someone slip through waivers). Sokolov isn't making the roster.
Soderstrom still hasn't a contract.
My thinking is that Kolyachonok has a better chance at slipping through waivers after the season starts.
But, yes, it will be decided in camp and it's good to have players pushing each other for a roster spot.
Opening day
Keller - Hayton - Schmaltz
Crouse- Cooley - Guenther
MACcelli - Stenlund - Bjugstad
Kerfoot - McBain - Carcone
O'Brien
Sergachev - Marino
Cole -Durzi
Valimaki - Kesselring
Kolyachonok - Bortuzzo

Last edited:

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
2024-25 Opening Night Roster Prediction

Keller - Hayton - Schmaltz
Maccelli - Cooley - Guenther
Crouse - Bjugstad - Doan
Kerfoot - Mcbain - Stenlund
Carcone, O'Brien

Sergachev - Marino
Valimaki - Durzi
Cole - Kesselring
Bortuzzo

Ingram
Vejmelka

Last edited:
Reactions: lanky

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023

Keller Hayton Schmaltz
Crouse Cooley Guenther
Maccelli Bjugstad Doan
Kerfoot McBain Stenlund
Carcone Sokolov OBrien

Sergachev Marino
Cole Durzi
Valimaki Kesselring
Kolyachonok Soderstom
Bortuzzo

Vejmelka
Ingram

I agree with a lot of what you are saying but would remove Stenlund from your list. The 3 major problems for last years Coyotes were:
  • Defense in general/giving up too many goals (20th)
  • Penalty killing (25th)
  • Faceoffs (23rd)
IMHO, Stenlund is not an incidental add but a very, specific, targeted, acquisition that addresses each of these areas with PK being a specific (dare we say elite) strength. Stenlund was acquired for very, real, reasons and I believe he is a lineup lock.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Yes but Doan and Carcone are very capable of going on a heater during the preseason. If they both do that then I think Stenlund is on the bubble.

We'll see how things play out. It's great to have this depth.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Yes but Doan and Carcone are very capable of going on a heater during the preseason. If they both do that then I think Stenlund is on the bubble.

We'll see how things play out. It's great to have this depth.
Going on heaters, meaning scoring goals, will not be relevant to this. Carcone could score 14g in 7 preseason games and it would not matter relative to Stenlund as Carcone is not going to make it to a PK unit. The Coyotes did not have a problem scoring goals. If you stretch Guenther's scoring pace over 82 games, the Coyotes were top 10 in the league in goal scoring. This is why this season is the most exciting in UHC\Coyotes history. Their strengths are still there, they are going to put up more goals than they did last year. However, now they wont be giving up goals at the same pace even strength and will be top half of the league on the PK rather than bottom third. Stenlund will be a significant part of this.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Still stuck in Forum 40
I said it before and I'll say it again, Stenlund will have a career season. I could see having ~ 15Gs, their top C in the dot, and their +/- leader. Wouldn't surprise me if he develops chemistry with Maccelli. He will be a fan favorite.

Reactions: DustyDangler

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad