Speculation: 2024 Off-season Team Discussion

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
EDIT: @Dead Coyote - I guess I just had a long day and/or I’m a huge narcissist. I see now that you didn’t quote me. So I’m guessing only some of your reply was to me (the Ceci part, I suspect) and much of the rest was addressing other posters who made more disparaging remarks about Kesselring. I was confused and now I see why. It’s because I’m dumb. ;)

My bad.

I want a 5-6. You want a 7. I think we should fist fight.
We got a left-handed #7 in Koly. So more like a right-handed #7 who can be good on the PK. ;)

British yote

May 16, 2014
England
I feel quite okay with the D lines at the start of next season being

Serg - Marino
Cole - Durzi
Koly- Kesselring

Also okay with the four Pking D being serg, Cole ,marino and koly. If someone falters then bring in a 6th D who can PK. Valimaki can be the spare. I don’t know if kesselring playing in the AHL or being mainly healthy scratched is good for his development when he looked good for long stretches last year. Also I really want Koly to get a few games, he might not put up lots of points but defensively he can be good and his skating is incredible for someone his size.

Also not against trading soder for a Vet D

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This was asked if Marino was to get injured. I understand it is not a development league, but these are not kids. These are 21-23 year old men, who can step in and play at the highest level. I have full faith Koly can be a solid #7 next year. Szuber maybe needs another year in the A.
I agree about Koly, and he could very well stick this year. Soderstrom is a 23yo. D and he probably will be in Tucson. Other than that everyone else needs development. I guess if BA wants Ceci I really see no harm, but I would be ok if we don't get him as well.

Reactions: Half Clapper

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I'm pretty confident that Soderstom will either be in Utah or claimed off waivers (or traded). Basically I think he'll be anywhere except Tucson.
The same with Kolyachonok and expecting Utah to go with 7 Ds, but expecting Kolyachonok to stick so if we bring in a RD veteran, I just don't see Kesselring staying! He'll be the odd man out and he does have trade value.

Last edited:
Reactions: Prarievarg

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
I'm pretty confident that Soderstom will either be in Utah or claimed off waivers (or traded). Basically I think he'll be anywhere except Tucson.
No one likes Soderstrom, otherwise he'd already be gone in a trade. My guess is that he passes through waivers easily. He has no value, and even though he was the 11th overall pick, it means nothing now that he's what 23 years old.

Reactions: rt

Prarievarg

On the hype lokomotiv
Oct 27, 2016
Stockholm / Linköping
No one likes Soderstrom, otherwise he'd already be gone in a trade. My guess is that he passes through waivers easily. He has no value, and even though he was the 11th overall pick, it means nothing now that he's what 23 years old.
I don't agree with this. I don't see him passing waivers and I don't think Utah wants to give him up for free. There's still some upside with this player.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017

Serg - Marino
Cole - Durzi
Koly- Kesselring

Also okay with the four Pking D being serg, Cole ,marino and koly. If someone falters then bring in a 6th D who can PK. Valimaki can be the spare. I don’t know if kesselring playing in the AHL or being mainly healthy scratched is good for his development when he looked good for long stretches last year. Also I really want Koly to get a few games, he might not put up lots of points but defensively he can be good and his skating is incredible for someone his size.

Valimaki scratched? Ya I don't think so...

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC

Serg - Marino
Cole - Durzi
Koly- Kesselring

Cole should NOT be playing top 4 minutes.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Maybe BA likes Soderstrom? He has talked highly of him in the past. BA is very patient, just look at Hayton. Where this team is in the rebuild BA can be patient for another year, at least.

Last edited:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Cole should NOT be playing top 4 minutes.
Why? He played almost 18 TOI last year on a good Canuck team, and almost 19 TOI on a good Tampa team the year before that. He is not a point producer but he wasn't brought here for that, rather to settle down the back end, and he has 129 games of playoff experience which is very valuable to a team like Utah. At first I thought it wasn't a good signing, but looking deeper into it, it could end up being a very good signing. His contract is for only one year which gives BA another year to valuate his kids on D.

The same with Kolyachonok and expecting Utah to go with 7 Ds, but expecting Kolyachonok to stick so if we bring in a RD veteran, I just don't see Kesselring staying! He'll be the odd man out and he does have trade value.
Utah needs depth at D. Injuries do happen you know.

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
How do you figure? Statistically he had a career year. What do you believe he struggled with?

Well if you were playing on the 2nd and 3rd pair all of your career and on the PP2 then were the top defenseman on the 15th ranked offense playing on the PP1 unit exclusively I'd hope you would have a career year.

He looked like a top defenseman until January. Then he looked like a player around Gostisbehere's quality. I think he still has upside since he is still young and maybe he takes another step to more of that Forsling level of play this season.

He struggled with consistency in his own end. Some nights his gap control was borderline non-existent. I think he could be better with his stick because he won't lay the body. The horror stories from LAK fans were overblown. But he's not on the same level with two,way play like Sergachev is.

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
How do you figure? Statistically he had a career year. What do you believe he struggled with?
He broke down over time from playing way over his head. It’s possible he adjusts and learns to play that much of an expanded role, and it’s also possible that always remains one spot too high on the depth chart for him. This will be an important season.

Stenlund-Kerfoot
Cole-Marino

Bjudstadt-McBain/Crouse
Sergachev -Ceci (😉)
That actually looks really good. Telling how 5/8 are brand new. Apparently this was an area of focus. Haha.

(I guess 4/8 until we actually acquire a new RD for the PK - if that even happens).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad