Speculation: 2024 Off-season Team Discussion

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
I generally trust @SR on these types of things but situations can always change. Being unhappy with the situation also doesn't mean it's bad enough to want out (and if he does he is on a great contract and a top 20 winger in the league so the return would be good). Once he starts playing games and gets more acclimated that could all change. Not like AZ is very far either.

Reactions: Bonsai Tree

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Next move should be to upgrade the goaltender. I’m not at all convinced that we have a top 15 goalie in our system.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
I’ll believe Keller being unhappy when I see an actual source report it.
And why would he tell Mikhail S . How great of a place it is.

I will say that you can still be unhappy AZ list a team and still be happy playing in Utah

These rumours make it sound like he wants out

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Marner wasn't great this past season but his overall play is what separates him from most of them. He kills penalties, plays the power play, and outscored his teammates 5v5 most years.
If Marner is a top 5 winger why are Toronto fans so anxious to move him?

And why would a young rebuilding team give away a talented winger on a better contract who fits the system extremely well?

It’s not about who’s the better player…it’s about who fits Utah’s short and term plans…and that would be Keller.

SR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
I generally trust @SR on these types of things but situations can always change. Being unhappy with the situation also doesn't mean it's bad enough to want out (and if he does he is on a great contract and a top 20 winger in the league so the return would be good). Once he starts playing games and gets more acclimated that could all change. Not like AZ is very far either.
I guess I should rephrase and state he’s not happy leaving Arizona and how the whole move came to fruition. He’s not happy going to Utah from Arizona. Doesn’t like the idea of playing and living in Utah. Maybe that changes.

Reactions: Mangosteen

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
Marner is fine in the regular season, but he's proven over last several seasons when it comes to the playoffs, he goes missing in action.

He doesn't battle for pucks, can't score and he's not a warrior, I want a warrior in the playoffs.
Yep, he's a runt

rt

Clean Hits on Substack
I guess I should rephrase and state he’s not happy leaving Arizona and how the whole move came to fruition. He’s not happy going to Utah from Arizona. Doesn’t like the idea of playing and living in Utah. Maybe that changes.
I feel like I need to go to Utah so I can understand this better. I feel like I’d rather live there than around half of the other markets in the NHL. But I don’t really know. What am I missing about the SLC area?

It seems better (easily) than Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Detroit, San Jose (blech), Carolina, Washington, Buffalo, or Columbus. Me personally, I’d put Seattle, Minnesota, Vegas and St Louis on there too. But Keller may not.

Anyway, I shouldn’t have bothered getting specific. It’s just distracting. My point is this, would Utah be on many 10 team NTCs? It seems to me the answer is no. Am I wrong?

If BA can make the team perennially competitive, while playing in a small market with a favorable tax situation, in an area that at least features an immense amount of natural splendor, that feels like a good destination for veteran players. A good place to focus on hockey and family.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Marner is fine in the regular season, but he's proven over last several seasons when it comes to the playoffs, he goes missing in action.

He doesn't battle for pucks, can't score and he's not a warrior, I want a warrior in the playoffs.
Fun fact that doesn't fit the narrative on Marner, he gets points at about the same pace as Tkachuk in playoffs in career. But his salary and demands are far more than any smart GM should consider.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If Marner is a top 5 winger why are Toronto fans so anxious to move him?

And why would a young rebuilding team give away a talented winger on a better contract who fits the system extremely well?

It’s not about who’s the better player…it’s about who fits Utah’s short and term plans…and that would be Keller.
Just a guess by me but I'm thinking a small percentage is just nuts and want half tye group traded with the majority thinking that this group has had enough chances and that tge group just can't work. That leaves wanting to break up tye group and with Tavares have a NMC with one year left and Matthews and Nylander just signed Marner is the odd man out. It doesn't mean he isn't a great player, it simply means a change is needed.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
cleanhits.substack.com
Fun fact that doesn't fit the narrative on Marner, he gets points at about the same pace as Tkachuk in playoffs in career. But his salary and demands are far more than any smart GM should consider.
Do you need me to post the Tkachuk empty net save? Let's not go down this route.

Anyways, you're correct that Marners contract demands will be a bad move for most GMs. I hope Marner puts it all together and becomes a more complete players because he is thrilling to watch. But it needs to happen soon.

Half Clapper

Dec 1, 2017
I feel like I need to go to Utah so I can understand this better. I feel like I’d rather live there than around half of the other markets in the NHL. But I don’t really know. What am I missing about the SLC area?

It seems better (easily) than Edmonton, Winnipeg, Ottawa, Detroit, San Jose (blech), Carolina, Washington, Buffalo, or Columbus. Me personally, I’d put Seattle, Minnesota, Vegas and St Louis on there too. But Keller may not.

Anyway, I shouldn’t have bothered getting specific. It’s just distracting. My point is this, would Utah be on many 10 team NTCs? It seems to me the answer is no. Am I wrong?

If BA can make the team perennially competitive, while playing in a small market with a favorable tax situation, in an area that at least features an immense amount of natural splendor, that feels like a good destination for veteran players. A good place to focus on hockey and family.
Keller is from St. Louis, so I'd assume he wouldn't mind playing there.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
I'd call that a kiwi to cannonball comparison :laugh:

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023

I don't know what you are missing but...I have been most everywhere this side of the Mississippi. SLC is the most beautiful "big city" I have ever been to. It is very clean, safe with a grid based, easy to understand, road system. The local economy is strong and their passion for the Jazz is noticeable even if you are not looking. It is definitely better than the cities you mentioned and honestly, if there is a better metro in the U.S., I would like to know what it is. We are not long removed from the last Keller is unhappy and wants to be traded stuff which was clearly false. I will believe he is unhappy now, when I hear him say so.

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Now, I wouldn't say SLC is the most beautiful big city, but it's certainly a lot better than most.

I think it has to do w/players liking the warm weather...let's face it, Arizona is pretty hard to beat in the winter and during the summer, most of guys who stay here (like Keller) play tons of golf in the sun.

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Now, I wouldn't say SLC is the most beautiful big city, but it's certainly a lot better than most.

I think it has to do w/players liking the warm weather...let's face it, Arizona is pretty hard to beat in the winter and during the summer, most of guys who stay here (like Keller) play tons of golf in the sun.
Like I said...if there is one better, I would like to know what it is so, what city has it beat?

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
Do you need me to post the Tkachuk empty net save? Let's not go down this route.

Anyways, you're correct that Marners contract demands will be a bad move for most GMs. I hope Marner puts it all together and becomes a more complete players because he is thrilling to watch. But it needs to happen soon.
He is one of the most complete players in the game?? Pk, PP, and even strength point getter. Now does he elevate himself and teammates in playoffs?? I would sayneither him or his teammates have shown an ability to do this and that's why some think he is on his way out of Toronto. But he does still get points which is the part I disputed.

Reactions: Grimes

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
He is one of the most complete players in the game?? Pk, PP, and even strength point getter. Now does he elevate himself and teammates in playoffs?? I would sayneither him or his teammates have shown an ability to do this and that's why some think he is on his way out of Toronto. But he does still get points which is the part I disputed.
Marner has decent playoff numbers. They are just not a built for playoffs team and, if they were, no one would be talking about Marner. However, they struggle and their fanbase always has to have a whipping boy and this year Marner is their guy. Ultimately, Tavares was the critical mistake contract which led to lesser mistakes such as losing Kadri and Hyman and never having money for defensemen or goalies. I expect they will keep Marner as near impossible to get equal value for him. They may as well run it back one final year with the 4 and then take Tavares money to build a competitive team. Also, they could be sneaky good with Berube and these changes...

1720393166273.png

Reactions: Jakey53

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Like I said...if there is one better, I would like to know what it is so, what city has it beat?
Well, personally I'd take Tampa/Sunrise/NYC/San Jose/Dallas/Phoenix/Anaheim/Nashville all over SLC

and I'd probably take LA over SLC since I'd live in Pacific Palisades or Manhattan Beach

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad