GDT: 2024 NHL Trade Deadline

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

How many trades do the Avs make?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GeoRox89

Tricky Trees
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2013
Fires of Mt Doom
I love Cogs, but as another poster mentioned, his days as a regular could be numbered.

I didn’t think that was possible pre-deadline, but he’s not as good of a PK’er as a guy like Duhaime, he doesn’t have the offence of Parise, and Trenin is a better overall player.

I’d say Kovalenko might pass him on the depth chart too as he offers a bristly game with more upside and they definitely want to give him a shot.
Cogs is my all time favourite role player but he’s clearly lost a step and age is catching up with him. Ideally, he’s the 13th forward rotating in just often enough to not be rusty when someone inevitably goes down for a few games and we need him back on the 4th line for an extended period

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Good and bad... the lack of structure will allow Bo to go full wild man the whole time. Which he can do... but the flaws are obvious in that.
In that Byram clip, I saw like 9 times that Predators could've gone on a shorthanded chance because he was so involved down low lol. Bless his offensively driven at all costs heart.

NMAvsman

Jan 28, 2007
In that Byram clip, I saw like 9 times that Predators could've gone on a shorthanded chance because he was so involved down low lol. Bless his offensively driven at all costs heart.
I feel like his offense will boom, but his defense will suffer. Lack of structure, playing with his best friends....will take them a few years to mature and consistently compete if they get a good coach. He can be a leader, but hasn't had to do so in our locker room.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I prefer Mittelstadt to Hertl, personally.

One is a long term solution at 2C, and the other is 30-years old. I also think Mittelstadt’s best hockey is in front of him, not behind him.

Maybe Vegas catches fire when they get bodies back, but this is pretty much their last shot with the age of their core.
We keep saying this about Vegas, but I have no doubt whatsoever they will figure out a way to trade their aging stars for new stars somehow.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I feel like his offense will boom, but his defense will suffer. Lack of structure, playing with his best friends....will take them a few years to mature and consistently compete if they get a good coach. He can be a leader, but hasn't had to do so in our locker room.

Yep. Even in his "great" game on Thursday, he had one of the most negative defensive impacts in the game.

This is likely who he wanted to be with the Avs and Bednar simply wasn't allowing it. The Avs are a team that plays with structure. Byram hates structure going back to his Junior days. Buffalo also Hayes structure so in that regard it is a good fit :laugh:

NorthernAvsFan

Jun 25, 2014
We keep saying this about Vegas, but I have no doubt whatsoever they will figure out a way to trade their aging stars for new stars somehow.

With what resources though?

Even the Avs decline is inevitable in a few years, and their roster is a lot younger than Vegas.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
With what resources though?

Even the Avs decline is inevitable in a few years, and their roster is a lot younger than Vegas.
I don't disagree, but this is Vegas. They just acquired Noah Hanifin, Tomas Hertl, and Anthony Mantha without trading their 2024 1st round pick somehow.

For whatever reason, they seem to be able to make trades all the time that benefit the organization, from dumping Pacioretty, Smith, and Fleury to acquiring Stone and Eichel.

I have zero doubt they will find some way out of cap and age hell in the coming years.

Gatorbait19

Apr 2, 2019
Maybe Byram ends up being great, but he wasn’t what we needed right now, was blocked by Makar/Toews, and was depreciating asset who’s potentially 1 concussion away from never playing again. From that standpoint alone, it was brilliant to move him just for asset management.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I don't disagree, but this is Vegas. They just acquired Noah Hanifin, Tomas Hertl, and Anthony Mantha without trading their 2024 1st round pick somehow.

For whatever reason, they seem to be able to make trades all the time that benefit the organization, from dumping Pacioretty, Smith, and Fleury to acquiring Stone and Eichel.

I have zero doubt they will find some way out of cap and age hell in the coming years.

Players want to play there, so they can keep doing their thing. And foley is willing to spend any amount of money.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Yep. Even in his "great" game on Thursday, he had one of the most negative defensive impacts in the game.

This is likely who he wanted to be with the Avs and Bednar simply wasn't allowing it. The Avs are a team that plays with structure. Byram hates structure going back to his Junior days. Buffalo also Hayes structure so in that regard it is a good fit :laugh:
I don't think it's a bad thing for Bo's development.

Byram has shown he can play in a structured system and can be quite damn good at it (aka his first 2 injury-riddled seasons). Now that he's more comfortable in the league he wants to free-wheel. I think he just needs to get it out of his system, and eventually he'll realize that to win games he'll need to find a balance.

Reactions: lionsDen

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Is Levi still the goalie of the future in Sabres land?
4n1gi0.jpg

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
I don't want hertl. I think his knee is going the same way as landos. One more injury and they could be it.
Yeah, definitely prefer Mittelstadt out of the two of them. Obviously, the opinion du jour around the league has been Hertl > Mittelstadt, but Hertl is also 5 years older and as you said, has some serious health concerns. Two torn ACLs and he's currently out with a knee injury

Reactions: lonelybadger

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Yeah, definitely prefer Mittelstadt out of the two of them. Obviously, the opinion du jour around the league has been Hertl > Mittelstadt, but Hertl is also 5 years older and as you said, has some serious health concerns. Two torn ACLs and he's currently out with a knee injury
The price of hertl being literally just one prospect is better than the Byram swap.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022

I hear people telling Avs fans to give it time. Shouldn’t we give it time for him as well(in buffalo)

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
1710024712964.png

"Awesome today"

I hear people telling Avs fans to give it time. Shouldn’t we give it time for him as well(in buffalo)
Sure. Quite frankly I dont think what he does in these 20 games to end the season matters much either way.

But, he's playing on a Buffalo team that is pretty well known for having almost no structure to there game. To a fault, the coaching staff pretty much lets guys play as they want. So Byram is probably going to look in and fit in pretty well in that sort of system. On the flip side, Mittelstadt is coming from that lack of structure into a team with a very tight structure.

It should be expected that Mittelstadt will take more time adjusting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad